Objectivism Online Forum

Goodbye

Rate this topic

I'm offended. I think I'm very honest. :) I even wished you a happy birthday last week.

But that's okay, I wouldn't mind being doomed. I'd have the capacity to get myself out of my misery, whereas most would just convince themselves that misery is a rightful and inescapable part of life.

I have yet to meet an honest Objectivist on this forum, so I will not be visiting again. If you take offense at my accusation, feel free to refute it, but I will not be reading it. I would say "may God have mercy on your souls," but since God is a fiction, I suppose you're doomed.
Whenever I read "farewell comments" on the board like this one, I invariably wonder, "Why did he bother?"

With this particular accusation, though, my first reaction was, "What?" In fact, I took note just the other day that my perception of humanity changed for the better when I discovered and began interacting with some of those same people Mr. Sandberg refers to, exactly because of their honesty!

Objectivists, as with any group of people, have individuals who evade the truth about some things, and the level of innocence varies from ignorance to rationalism to dishonesty. But I think Mr. Sandberg has been reading the forum for a reasonable amount of time to determine that difference in people; in my own opinion, there aren't many of the latter. Etiquette is often misinterpreted online, but honesty is something I think is easier to spot. Why was his evaluation so different from mine?

I suppose it isn't worth a second thought, since he didn't extend enough courtesy or gumption to provide a couple examples to back up his serious accusation.

Whenever I read "farewell comments" on the board like this one, I invariably wonder, "Why did he bother?"
True. On the other hand, it's a sign of a human soul -- that will not go quietly into the night. Some sense of integrity prompts one to say that you're leaving, even if you realize nobody cares.
... he didn't extend enough courtesy or gumption to provide a couple examples to back up his serious accusation.
Usually people leave after some type of quarrel; but, my first thought was: who is this guy and did he ever post? I think he might be leaving in protest against the forum owner's taste in music :)
As per my music tastes, there are the classics of course, but I have quite a few popular artists I like as well – such as Dave Mathews Band, Collective Soul, Bush, Tool, Garbage, and A Perfect Circle. I also like ...
You actually listen to a band called Collective Soul ..., and dare call yourself an Objectivist?
Anyhow, Andrew, at 19, you might yet change your mind. I don't think anything other than a short apology would be warranted.

I have yet to meet an honest Objectivist on this forum, so I will not be visiting again. If you take offense at my accusation, feel free to refute it, but I will not be reading it. I would say "may God have mercy on your souls," but since God is a fiction, I suppose you're doomed.

Translation: Troll, troll, troll, my name is Troll McTroll etc.....

We have guys like this at the capitalism magazine forum.

One said farewell because he both wanted to combine catholicism with Capitalism and couldn't refute our arguments. :lol: (I love that emoticon).

In this case, there doesn't seem to be any evidence to back up his assertion so you are probably well rid of him.

Edited by BlackSabbath

Translation: Troll, troll, troll, my name is Troll McTroll etc.....

We have guys like this at the capitalism magazine forum.

One said farewell because he both wanted to combine catholicism with Capitalism and couldn't refute our arguments. :lol: (I love that emoticon).

In this case, there doesn't seem to be any evidence to back up his assertion so you are probably well rid of him.

What discussion was he involved in that led him to his conclusion...anybody know?

What discussion was he involved in that led him to his conclusion...anybody know?

He doesn't say what discussion or which person he has a problem with. It really defeats the purpose of such a post. He's been on the forum as recently as today, so in theory he could still make a meaningful (i.e. specific) accusation.

Edited by Inspector

With that attitude, I wonder if he will ever think he has met an "honest" Objectivist.

Sad Panda.

Probably if he finds Brandon or one of his ilk, or some ''Objectivist'' that is willing to insert whatever arbitary nonsense he thinks he can jusfity expanding 'Objectivsm" to include. So I dont think any real Objectivist will be too sad if he does the same thing as this on some other forum.