Objectivism Online Forum

Scientific Validity of Discovery's "Planet Earth" Series

Rate this topic

I've been watching these series and while the images are incredible I find (not neccessarily suprisingly considering the source being the BBC and the Discovery Channel) that it is more politically motivated then even necessarily scientifically accurate. I am just wondering if any one has actually refuted the science, for example the time lines. They seem to not ever mention anything existing prior to 6000 years ago which seems to show a very Chrisitan based version of Science.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had noticed this and maybe had more information on it for me.

I'm very interested to hear why you think the material itself is politically skewed. Yes, I understand that it is part of a philanthropic effort by bank of america and that the creators may have a bit of lean to them. However, I feel the show itself is very even-handed and served its purpose of inspiring awe and respect for nature if not simply for the sake of it.

I don't think that the series intended to go into the history of the planet but more a view of the planet as it is now.

I have not seen any of Planet Earth. However, I find Dominique's suggestion unsurprising. Every work of art, no matter how good or bad, belies the artist's metaphysics. Documentary, likewise, belies the documentarian's politics. In some, it is more obvious than in others. But every documentary is political in some way.

-Q

I'm very interested to hear why you think the material itself is politically skewed. Yes, I understand that it is part of a philanthropic effort by bank of america and that the creators may have a bit of lean to them. However, I feel the show itself is very even-handed and served its purpose of inspiring awe and respect for nature if not simply for the sake of it.

I don't think that the series intended to go into the history of the planet but more a view of the planet as it is now.

I mainly got that impression from the focus on global warming and endangered species as the declared purpose of the documentary but I was wondering if anyone had actually found anything refutable in it. They did play the middle ground to some extent by pretending it was pure observation and there were only a few spots that disturbed me enough to ask about it but I was just wondering if anyone had noticed.