Objectivism Online Forum

God's Spokesman

Rate this topic

By Myrhaf from Myrhaf,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Have you heard of this Fred Phelps character? Being neither homosexual nor religious, I had not paid attention to these people before. His motto is "God hates fags," which he considers profound. I guess it's so profound that the profundity eludes my simple mind.

Phelps says that God controls the destiny of every human. If that is so, then didn't God create fags? Does God hate what He Himself is responsible for? (A form of the problem of evil.)

Doesn't Jesus talk about loving sinners and not passing judgment? How do these people justify the contradiction?

One of their signs says, "God Sent the IED's." They're saying that God sent terrorists to kill Americans because of homosexuality. Like Dinesh D'Souza, they are apologists for terrorism because they have a problem with America. If Phelps wants something really profound to read, he should try Leonard Peikoff's essay, "Religion vs. America."

These people are the best evidence yet that God does not exist. I mean, would an all-powerful God let these fools claim to speak for Him? Not only them, but also the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504, not to mention terrorists killing innocent people in His name. If there were a God, then there would be a lot of people out there making Him look bad.

View the full article

Didn't Congress (or perhaps some State or other) try to pass a law banning protesting at funerals because of Phelps? What ever happened to that?

-Q

BTW radio talk-show host Mike Gallagher once offered Phelps and co. airtime in exchange for calling off a protest. He's done it again this time (look up his column for today, April 23rd 07 at http://www.townhall.com/columnists), so they won't protest at VT.

He should go a step further and advise his listeners to turn off the radio when that show is on.

Didn't Congress (or perhaps some State or other) try to pass a law banning protesting at funerals because of Phelps? What ever happened to that?

I don't think there has been federal legislation about it, although I know some states have passed similar bills. There is also a group called the Patriot Guard Riders who prevent protesters (nonviolently) from going to the funerals of troops (http://www.patriotguard.org).

I think there are more improbable issues in the Bible to address than the contradiction of "God hates fags": talking donkeys, giants, and a man who single-handedly kills one thousand soldiers with a jawbone just to name a few. ;)

And a guy whom kills a few men with one spearthrow, and then many again with the same throw. And a tribe that gets toitally wiped out multiple times AND still pisses God off.

Edited by Prometheus98876