Objectivism Online Forum

Courses available on CD through Ayn Rand Bookstore

Rate this topic

DarkWaters

I haven't purchased either, but I will say that Brook's lecture "The Rise of Totalitarian Islam" has been on my wish list for a while now. It's just a matter of finances that I haven't got it yet. I've definitely heard good things about it.

The other doesn't interest me as much. That's just a matter of personal taste.

Edited by Michael Caution

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a course (or two) from the Ayn Rand Bookstore.

Does anybody have any feedback on either of the following:

Money, Banking and the Business Cycle by Dr. Brian Simpson.

I have MB and the BC. It is a good course, but its thesis is pretty basic. Today's basic monetary policy is to use interest rates to control the "heat" of the economy. That is the belief that an economy can "overheat" and needs to be slowed down by ramping up interest rates, or that it can be stimulated by dropping interest rates. Simpson shows how this basically creates the very problem it was intended to prevent, the business cycle.

Not sure where you're at in economics, but it was generaly set up for the lay person who had not a whole lot of economic training. I found the thesis novel and interesting, but the explanatiion was a little slow for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure where you're at in economics, but it was generaly set up for the lay person who had not a whole lot of economic training. I found the thesis novel and interesting, but the explanatiion was a little slow for me.

Thank you for your response.

I have had two (pretty disappointing) undergraduate courses in economics: an introductory course and an intermediate microeconomics course. This was eight and seven years ago respectively. I am a doctoral student in operations research so I have had a healthy amount of rigorous exposure to analysis, probability, statistics, game theory and the like. Furthermore, I have read a few books on economics and free markets including Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson, Friedman's Free to Choose and Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom. I am currently reading a book containing several essays on the Austrian Business Cycle Theory.

Given your background, are you satisfied that you purchased the course? Are you satisfied that you have listened to these lectures? Do you think that someone of my background will be satisfied with this course (as opposed to the numerous other courses available)?

Thanks again!