Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Music

Rate this topic

BinniLee

There is no such thing as Objectivist music.

See here: http://www.peikoff.c...ectivist-music/

Splitting of hairs. Music or lyrics that espouse an objectivist philosophical pov or an objectivist friendly sense of life could be described as "music that espouses an objectivist point of view", or one could just shorten it to "objectivist music". The latter is less unweildly and only slightly less accurate.

Quibbling over minor semantics issues is a waste of time and energy.

I agree, "quibbling" over semantics is a waste of time. But it's NOT a matter of "semantics". It's a real philosophical point. Art is not (philosophical) propaganda. There is no such thing as Objectivist paintings or Objectivist music or Objectivist physics or Objectivist food. Etc. There is good and bad art, true and false scientific theories, etc., as evaluated by a philosophy. If you fail to make this distinction, you are slowly turning Objectivism into a religion. (But you apparently failed to grasp the point here.)

Edited by knast

For more information, read The Art of Non-Fiction edited by Robert Mayhew, where Ayn Rand elaborates on the distinction between a principle and a concrete, and how people who fail to make this distinction turn Objectivism into a religion.

Edited by knast

Bah!

This topic has been up for years.... literally. Folks using a convenient shorthand does NOT make Objectivism into a religion, regardless of who may have said otherwise.

Quoting others and using the argument from authority, however DOES attempt to make Objectivism into a religion.

• 2 years later...

http://youtu.be/kbvEk6lujTQ has Objectivist lyrics, which shouldn't disappoint.
It features rich, balladic (is that a word?) harmonies plus occasional deviations into atonal daring.
And I respectfully request that you consider why the band was called "Share and Share & Like".

Bearing in mind there is no such thing as "Objectivist music". A lyrical poem set to music, that made some headway in pop culture, had a chorus containing what I take to be a profoundly Objectivist message.

"I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows

If I fail, if I succeed

At least I'll live as I believe

No matter what they take from me

They can't take away my dignity

Because the greatest love of all

Is happening to me

I found the greatest love of all

Inside of me

The greatest love of all

Is easy to achieve

Learning to love yourself

It is the greatest love of all"

• 3 weeks later...

I'd really love to find some good, up tempo, lyric-less music - like Scott Joplin, but a bit more modern, and with a few more 'voices'.

http://youtu.be/YoDyDekz9EY is voiced by drums, bass, piano, strings, euphonium (2) and ocarina (4).  If you don't adore it, I will give you your money back.