Objectivism Online Forum

Yann Tiersen

Rate this topic

Catherine

For anyone who has seen Amelie (I cannot make the accent on my laptop), you may recognize some of Yann Tiersen's music - he did after all, compose the soundtrack (along with the one for Goodbye, Lenin!). It was actually in a search for the soundtrack that I stumbled upon the lyrical versions of his songs, and I found them even more impressive and inspiring.

Not only does Yann Tiersen have great command over music composition, but his lyrics are very inspiring as well. My favorite song, "Les Jours Tristes" (the sad days), is a beautiful song about a persistent individual among a sea of "cowards", devoid of "objectivity". It speaks more of... say Dagny Taggart than Objectivism, but it's still a beautiful song nonetheless. The lyrics, coupled with the ballad-like tune, makes it one of my favorite (contemporary) songs. You can listen to a short clip of it on his official website under Discography > L'absente > Les jours tristes. His other albums are good, but L'absente is easily my favorite (it is just a reworked version of the Amelie soundtrack, really). It is the one that Yann Tiersen also considers most representative of himself.

"Les Jours Tristes"

It's hard, hard not to sit on your hands

And bury your head in the sand

Hard not to make other plans

and claim that you've done all you can all along

And life must go on

It's hard, hard to stand up for what's right

And bring home the bacon each night

Hard not to break down and cry

When every idea that you've tried has been wrong

But you must go on

It's hard but you know it's worth the fight

'cause you know you've got the truth on your side

When the accusations fly, hold tight

Don't be afraid of what they'll say

Who cares what cowards think, anyway

They will understand one day, one day

It's hard, hard when you're here all alone

And everyone else has gone home

Harder to know right from wrong

When all objectivity's gone

And it's gone

But you still carry on

'cause you, you are the only one left

And you've got to clean up this mess

You know you'll end up like the rest

Bitter and twisted, unless

You stay strong and you carry on

It's hard but you know it's worth the fight

'cause you know you've got the truth on your side

When the accusations fly, hold tight

And don't be afraid of what they'll say

Who cares what cowards think, anyway

They will understand one day, one day.

:-D AmeliƩ is one of my all-time favorite movies! The sense of life that is presented by that movie is just wonderful. The score was well-suited to the movie as well, very simple and yet joyously dancing at the same time. If you like that you would probably love Filled With Youth and Optimism from Neo Camerata.

I only have the instrumental Les Jours Tristes from the Amelie soundtrack, but have loved Yann Tiersen's work for years. It's great to now know that the way his music has always spoken to me is also how he speaks to his music, and his life; full of beauty, passion, objectivity, strength, and independence.

I only have the instrumental Les Jours Tristes from the Amelie soundtrack, but have loved Yann Tiersen's work for years. It's great to now know that the way his music has always spoken to me is also how he speaks to his music, and his life; full of beauty, passion, objectivity, strength, and independence.