Objectivism Online Forum

Hello

Rate this topic

My name is Erez Tal,

I'm 24 years old, from Israel. I study orchestral conducting, in Tel Aviv University. I am finishing my degree this year. I also play the cello, piano and especialy sing.

I came into objectivism about 6 years ago, which was revealed to me mostly by my good friend Eran Dror who also happend to bring me to this site and deserves a very big credit for all of it :D. I've read most of AR's writings of course and consider myself an objectivist.

As for Israel, I believe it is still probably one of the better places in the world to live in, and I might stay here for a few more years. With all the collectivism instilled deep in the culture, it is relatively very free.

So far from what I've read this a great forum, and I'm glad to be here, I just hope ill find the time to post once in a while...

My name is Erez Tal,

Welcome, Erez.

Is your avatar a painting or a photograph? I tried enlarging it but the low resolution blurred the image rather quickly. It looks like a very nice scene and I would like to see an enlarged version. Would you mind posting one, or sending it by email to the address in my signature line?

Thanks.

Standing over the dead sea is INDEED like standing over the edge of the world. As you probably know it is the lowest point on earth, 400 meters or so bellow sea level.

Erez - how come I've never seen this picture in real size?

As for your compliments... thanks for the credit, but I prefer cash, if you don't mind. :D

Here is another picture from the same trip (Passover, "Leil haseder", in the desert). It was a full moon night which is absolutely the best time to be in the desert.

As you can figure, this is not the sun.

Eran, you havent seen it becuase you didnt ask. :D I have some more if you're interested.

post-9-1086479103_thumb.jpg

Standing over the dead sea is INDEED like standing over the edge of the world. As you probably know it is the lowest point on earth, 400 meters or so bellow sea level.

Actually, it is the shoreline of the Dead Sea which is the lowest point on Earth. But, why quibble? :D

It really is an impressive picture. I have always wondered how the experience of floating in that dense salt water compares to floating in the oceans I am familiar with. I've seen photos and films but I would really like to experience it myself.

It depends on your purpose. If I had a telescope I might agree with you, however a full moon desert stroll in the middle of the night is extremely romantic. :D

in any other place I might prefer the stars, but the way the moon lights the desert is special.

It really is an impressive picture. I have always wondered how the experience of floating in that dense salt water compares to floating in the oceans I am familiar with. I've seen photos and films but I would really like to experience it myself.

I found out the hard way that trying to dive in the Dead Sea is a bad idea...

Shalom Erez :rolleyes:

post-9-1086484280_thumb.jpg

Stephen,

You are welcome to visit Israel and float on the dead sea. It really is safe these days.

It might seem wierd, but even though I live here for 24 years, I've never actually entered the dead sea...

I am told that you are floating so securely, that you can read a book and smoke a cigarette without getting them wet. If that helps picturing it...

Stephen,

You are welcome to visit Israel and float on the dead sea. It really is safe these days.

Thanks for the invitation, Eran, but I think I'll wait until Israel nukes its, shall we say, not-so-friendly neighbors.

It might seem wierd, but even though I live here for 24 years, I've never actually entered the dead sea...

I am told that you are floating so securely, that you can read a book and smoke a cigarette without getting them wet. If that helps picturing it...

Oh, I have no problem picturing it. For years I have read books and seen films on the Dead Sea. It is the actual experience which interests me now.

It's funny. I don't consider Israel a dangerous place. Probably because I've lived my whole life here. But really - if you don't ride the bus, or hang out in crowded places with no security, you are perfectly safe.

Tourists from all over the world begin to return here, after a few years of a real slump in tourism. I was in Eilat last months, and saw so many Americans and Frenchmen I thought I was somewhere else. :)

Israel may have a problem with terrorism, but its crime rates are much lower than the US. Altogether, terrorism over the years killed a lot less people than traffic accidents or cancer.

Okay, I'll bite. Salt in the eyes? Rocks? Or ???

Yes, it's extremely salty

Hey GC - do you know other words in Hebrew, or are you just showing of? ;)

Both :P At one point I learned how to read Hebrew and some of the language, but I've forgotten most of it.

Too bad.

Hebrew is a great language. And I'm saying that DESPITE wanting to leave Israel and write in English.

BTW - I decided that for every new language I learn - I will buy The Fountainhead translation to that language. Meanwhile I have the English and Hebrew editions, and I'm thinking of buying the French edition, but I'm not yet at a point where I can read it. :)

Shalom, Erez! Mah shlom'cha? Ani eh'yeh li'lomed ba'universitah Haifa ba'semester ha'bah. Yesh harbey Obyektivistim ba'Israel? Ani yodey'ah she'ayn mu'od harbey ("very many"... I didn't know how else to say it), ev'al atah choshev she'ani ef'gosh ezah shehu?

I'm guessing that was rather broken Hebrew since I've only had two semesters and I'm working from an old Hebrew-English dictionary (and I’m using a Latin alphabet), but you get the idea, I hope.

Who else is with me in thinking Israeli accents are incredibly cute? :)

ח

Hey, this place supports Hebrew text! Here's what I should have written:

שאלם ארז! מה שלומכ? אני אהיה ללמוד בוניורסיטה חיפה (?). יש הרבה וביקטיויסטים בישראל? אני יודע שאין מאד הרבה, אבל אתה חושב שאני אפגוש אזה שהו? -אדם

Hippie,

I don't want to discourage you, but you have a long way to go. :)

Also - It might be better to include a translation, so others can understand.

I think I speak for Erez and the rest of the Israeli guys on this forum when I ask: are there any Objectivist GIRLS here who think that the Israeli accent is cute? :)

Now really - I don't think it's cute. I think it's horrible. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I'm just finishing my B.A. in Haifa University, but there is at least one Objectivist friend of mine who will be staying there after me.

Eran, English in an Israeli accent is the opposite of cute - objectively speaking, of course. Hebrew in an Israeli accent ... much more acceptable. (But I'm not a GIRL, so my opinion means nothing.)

Hippie's paragraph is, in English: Hello Erez! How are you? I will be studying in Haifa [israel] University next semester. Are there many Objectivists in Israel? I know that there are not very many, but do you think I will meet someone? --Adam.

Hippie - There are not too many Israeli Objectivists that I know of.

We have a club here, where we do occasional meetings but very few people come, and it is the only official one in the country. Anyone who would look for an Israeli club in ARI should be able to find it and apparantly not many have.

As for accents, I think any language is best in its original accent. One example I love especially is when a french woman talks hebrew and says some french name. The french accent suddenly stands out so nicely! ;)

I know many Objectivist who don't go to this club. It's far away for many people. But still - there are I think around 10-15 people that come from time to time...

Erez - I love it when French women speak French. It's such a sexy language, dammit. I decided to teach my girlfriend French. ;)

P.S. - FaSheezy, you should meet Erez here. He is really cute.