Objectivism Online Forum

Barack Obama

Rate this topic

A snippet about Obama's South Carolina campaign, from a blog hosted by the Washington Post:

I hate Hypocrisy, in any form. Whether it is one of my friends, enemies, or presidential hopefuls, a flip flopper in any sense of the phrase is a detriment to mankind, unless of course you provide some rationale for switching.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine that at this point, the Obama Campaign is hoping Reverend Wright will just shut up and fade away quietly. Instead, he has decided to go on a national speaking tour. Priceless!

What's even more priceless is what he's saying. Just last night I watched him at a conference where he was being a smartass ("Does serving in the war make me patriotic?!").

He also tired to appease the crowd by saying that Obama's views are NOTHING like his, which is an odd thing to say about anyone considering most people would want to have their viewpoints shared with other people on critical issues. A person disagreeing with you is nothing to be proud of or feel good about. From this I deduce that Wright is either lying and trying to get a like-minded person into the office, implicitly confessing his views are wrong and evil (which would also show he doesn't take epistemology very seriously, because one should not maintain the false), or just being an appeaser. The third is most likely to me.

• 3 weeks later...

From a story I saw online the other day:

Barack Obama has a flier out in Kentucky that addresses his faith and his attempts to fulfill “God’s will” — and it could be a sign that the Illinois senator is returning to his religious roots as he gears up for a general election battle.

“They believe they can compete with McCain and the Republicans on the faith vote,” said David Brody, a senior correspondent with the Christian Broadcasting Network, the channel launched by televangelist Pat Robertson.

“McCain doesn’t want to talk about his faith all that much,” he told FOXNews.com. “Barack Obama is comfortable talking about that. … He’s speaking evangelical talk, so to speak, and that resonates.”

Obama’s Kentucky flier shows Obama at the pulpit with a giant cross in the background. Its text reads “Faith. Hope. Change.”

“My faith teaches me that I can sit in church and pray all I want,” it says. “But I won’t be fulfilling God’s will unless I go out and do the Lord’s work.”

Religionist politicians who think they are charged with doing the Lord's work scare the hell out of me. Obama seems to be pushing religion harder than McCain.

• 2 weeks later...

Obama on Chavez / FARC / Venezuela:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...chavez_far.html

He wants to isolate Venezuela because of Chavez's connection to FARC but wants to talk to Chavez.

Looks like the perfect candidate to me. He'll tell you whatever you want to hear.

"Our enemies think Sen. Obama would be the best friend they've ever had in the White House. It's not hard to see why."

U.S. presidential hopeful Barack Obama wants to halt a proposed coalmine in B.C.’s East Kootenays.

From this article.

Here's a potential president of the United States on one of the busiest days of his career, on the eve of his nomination, standing up for this critical piece of wilderness in B.C.

This is a very significant statement."

You bet. This mine, located east of Fernie, B.C., near a tributary of the Flathead River, projects a yield of two million tonnes of coal annually for at least 20 years.

"The Illinois senator hit on familiar themes and drew loud applause when he vowed not to let special-interest groups influence federal policy as has occurred during the Bush administration."

"So said Will Hammerquist, the local representative for the National Parks Conservation Association. About a month ago, Hammerquist met with Obama during a campaign stop in Missoula. He had the senator's attention for only a couple minutes, he said, but it was “just enough time to brief him on the issue.” "

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/06...cal/znews01.txt

Can someone give me a definition of "special interests" and why National Parks Conservation Association do not fall under this category?

Obama is the tooth fairy. He's real if you believe in him.

There hasn't been a major party candidate in my lifetime that so perfectly exemplifies so many bad philosophical ideas, from epistemology (feelings trump reason) to ethics (let's all give selflessly) to politics (to hell with capitalism). McCain may be an intellectual empty sack, but at least the sack exists and has some semblance, however inconsistent, of pro-capitalist principles every once in a while. What, pray tell, is Obama? At best he is an orator in slick packaging who says nothing, and does it very well. At worst he is the epitome of evil. And yet, he stands an excellent chance of being elected the next President of the United States.

A country gets what it deserves. Obama's rise is historic not because he is the first black on a major party ticket, but for what it says about the philosophical state of our country. I just shake my head in sadness and disbelief.

This guy can and will do a tremendous amount of damage in four years. McCain is a putz, but at least there is something to work with there. Obama is a left-wing religious train wreck and America is very likely to put him in charge along with a Pelosi/Reid congress. I'm frightened.

This guy can and will do a tremendous amount of damage in four years. McCain is a putz, but at least there is something to work with there. Obama is a left-wing religious train wreck and America is very likely to put him in charge along with a Pelosi/Reid congress. I'm frightened.

I'm concerned as regards foreign policy. Domestically things will have improved by January 2009, as they did by January 1997, which means any major idiocy Obama wants to commit regarding taxes, regulations, etc domestically will be effectively opposed by the GOP (the filibuster is a powerful weapon, and an effective one).

Domestically I'm more concerned what the current Congress will do given the lame-duck president, because whatever happens will be politicized and used by either presidential campaign. there's the hope the Congress will comit a major blunder, but it's a small one.

But Obama can make a sensational wreck out of Iraq, hand Al-Qaida and others a base of operation with oil and antural gas and billions in revenue. And blame it all on W. Bush forever. The hope there is the terrorists will be really smart, allow Obama to thoroughly weaken America, then strike.

Indeed ti doesn't look good. And then there's Iran.

Let us all not forget Barack Obama's:

I was adamantly for voting for John Kerry over George Bush in 2004. However, unless if John McCain is going to choose a M2 religious conservative, such as Mike Huckabee, as a running mate, I am going most likely going to vote for John McCain (who is just plain awful) in November. I shudder to think of what might happen with an Obama presidency with a Democratic majority in Congress.

Edited by DarkWaters

Barack Hussein Obama deserves credit for winning the Democratic presidential nomination. He arose from nowhere to defeat the seemingly undefeatable Clinton dynasty. How did he do it? Well, partly due to his good looks, charisma, oratory skills...and partly due to the liberal mainstream media's white guilt -- which was enough to throw their former darlings Bill & Hillary Clinton right under the bus. "Hey, we're not racist! We're siding with a black guy even if his supporters like Tony Rezko are convicted criminals*, William Ayers/Bernardine Dohrn are homegrown terrorists, Jeremiah Wright/Michael Pfleger are anti-white/anti-semite racists!"

Barack Hussein's victory was seen as favorable by Islamists in Indonesia*, as well as Mahmoud Ahmadenijad*, who today parroted B. Hussein's talking points about fleeing Iraq, de-arming America, forcing Americans into government healthcare, etc.

The Good: Barack Hussein Obama is so far left of center politically that he would trigger resistance by moderate Democrats & Republicans in both houses of congress if he's elected.

The Bad: Barack Hussein Obama would not veto bills proposing to regulate/strangle/drain the economy in the name of climate change, taxing the rich, egalitarianism, reparations.

The Verdict: Barack Hussein Obama's wife allegedly gave a speech at their church a few years ago calling white people racists and that speech was taped. If that tape surfaces in the coming months, Obama will be toast among the general population of American voters.

The Verdict: Barack Hussein Obama's wife allegedly gave a speech at their church a few years ago calling white people racists and that speech was taped. If that tape surfaces in the coming months, Obama will be toast among the general population of American voters.

I've heard about this. Is it anything more than just a rumor at this point?

I really hope its substantial. I really think the only reason Obama is becoming so powerful is do to his oratory skills. All he does is yell change into the microphone and people go wild. Everyone hates Bush so change seems perfect. They forget that things can change from bad to worse.

Barack Hussein Obama

Barack Hussein's

Barack Hussein Obama

Barack Hussein Obama

Barack Hussein Obama's

Is there a reason for repeating his middle name as often as you have done, when it isn't what he goes by?

I ask because a lot of times, when people do that, they're trying to imply some tie to Saddam Hussein (which doesn't exist). I don't care much for Obama, but I find this kind of tactic to be of questionable integrity, at best.

Now begins the speculation on who he will pick as his running mate. I seriously doubt it will be Madame Clinton. She and Bill come as a package and they're both so obsessed with their "legacy" and their public image that they would attempt to upstage Obama at every turn. Obama has already started to move to the center, so I assume he'll pick a white middle of the road Democrat governor from a swing state.

Is there a reason for repeating his middle name as often as you have done, when it isn't what he goes by?

I ask because a lot of times, when people do that, they're trying to imply some tie to Saddam Hussein (which doesn't exist). I don't care much for Obama, but I find this kind of tactic to be of questionable integrity, at best.

I agree with Greebo here and I tried addressing this point with Fireball before.

Fireball, it seems as if you are having fun but we are sure that you are aware that Barack Obama does not go by his middle name. To intentionally go out of your way to repeat it suggests that you want individuals to judge Barack Obama based on negative stereotypes associated with his name. I think this is silly, it is an attempt to manipulate the ignorant and it is a distraction from more serious issues. It is not in anyone's rational interest to encourage judging individuals by non-essentials such as one's birth name.

We should encourage individuals to make honest judgments about more important characteristics of Barack Obama such as his articulated values, political platform and personal choices. There are plenty of serious arguments against supporting Barack Obama. His middle name being Hussein is not one of them.

Barack Obama's wife allegedly gave a speech at their church a few years ago calling white people racists and that speech was taped.

Please provide evidence of this if you know any credible links. This would be alarming news indeed.

I ask because a lot of times, when people do that, they're trying to imply some tie to Saddam Hussein (which doesn't exist).

Doesn't exist, because Saddam was a secular dictator. What people are trying to remind you of by using his middle name is his connection to ISLAM.

I agree with Greebo here and I tried addressing this point with Fireball before.

Fireball, it seems as if you are having fun but we are sure that you are aware that Barack Obama does not go by his middle name. To intentionally go out of your way to repeat it suggests that you want individuals to judge Barack Obama based on negative stereotypes associated with his name.

A big reason people are saying it is because he acts like you can't say it. He keeps adding to the list of things you can't say about him in an effort to shut people up, which inspired Dennis Miller to say (paraphrasing) “It's not the color of your skin I noticed, it's the thinness of it."

But, this was going around the Internet a couple of months ago as well:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M...WU5MWExMDI0YTY=

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Who Started the "Hussein" Business? [Andy McCarthy]

I didn't know this until I read Bret Stephens' WSJ column yesterday. Who said the following?

"Well, I think if you've got a guy named Barack Hussein Obama, that's a pretty good contrast to George W. Bush."

Answer: Barack Hussein Obama.

Bret recounts:

Sometime before Barack Obama's middle name slipped into the realm of the unmentionable, it was supposed to be a selling point of his candidacy. "Well, I think if you've got a guy named Barack Hussein Obama, that's a pretty good contrast to George W. Bush," Mr. Obama told PBS's Tavis Smiley on October 18, 2007. "If you believe that we've got to heal America and we've got to repair our standing in the world, then I think my supporters believe that I am the messenger who can deliver that message."

He trumpeted his middle name then.

In addition, I'm concerned with Obama's connections with radical muslims as well as his strong willingness to appease them, given that it makes perfect sense to ridicule him with the middle name, which until recently he saw as a badge of honor. I mean, for crying out loud, look at his closest friends and associates. They are big time America haters and some are racists.

I mean, for crying out loud, look at his closest friends and associates. They are big time America haters and some are racists.

Funny how nobody seems to think of this, but ... if somebody's closest friends and associates are big-time America-haters and racists, doesn't that mean that that person himself is very probably a big-time America-hater and racist?

Thomas Sowell has just written an article arguing:

One of these candidates will determine what we are going to do to stop Iran from going nuclear-- or whether we are going to do anything other than talk, as Western leaders talked in the 1930s.

I submit that people mightily overestimate Obama when they think the worst he can do is just to talk to Iran while they try to build nukes. I wouldn't put it past him to give American nukes to our enemies. I mean, if you hate America and have the power to destroy it, what is there to keep you from doing so?