Objectivism Online Forum

Barack Obama

Rate this topic

So uh, 5 pages, have we concluded that Obama is bad yet?

That's been a given from the start for all of the candidates, we're just plumbing the depths to try and figure out how bad he is, because at this point we only have two choices when it comes to voting: terrible and really terrible.

Funny how nobody seems to think of this, but ... if somebody's closest friends and associates are big-time America-haters and racists, doesn't that mean that that person himself is very probably a big-time America-hater and racist?

Yes, I know.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how nobody seems to think of this, but ... if somebody's closest friends and associates are big-time America-haters and racists, doesn't that mean that that person himself is very probably a big-time America-hater and racist?

The mainstream media think that if you are a member of a country club that doesn't have any black members, you are a confirmed racist. But if you hang out with people who hate America, your patriotism shouldn't be questioned and better yet, you should be elected president.

So uh, 5 pages, have we concluded that Obama is bad yet?

We have. I think we've also concluded that McCain is bad, too.

What will go on fron now until election day (and perhaps beyond) is whether Obama is worse than McCain or not. And, either way, whom should one vote for and why; peppered, as usual, with argumetns to vote Libertarian or something else.

I agree with Greebo here and I tried addressing this point with Fireball before.

Fireball, it seems as if you are having fun but we are sure that you are aware that Barack Obama does not go by his middle name. To intentionally go out of your way to repeat it suggests that you want individuals to judge Barack Obama based on negative stereotypes associated with his name. I think this is silly, it is an attempt to manipulate the ignorant and it is a distraction from more serious issues. It is not in anyone's rational interest to encourage judging individuals by non-essentials such as one's birth name.

We should encourage individuals to make honest judgments about more important characteristics of Barack Obama such as his articulated values, political platform and personal choices. There are plenty of serious arguments against supporting Barack Obama. His middle name being Hussein is not one of them.

Please provide evidence of this if you know any credible links. This would be alarming news indeed.

The American citizenry has a moral right and responsibility to publicly scrutinize every aspect about a person who is seeking the highest office in today's quasi-collectivist America. That unmitigated scrutiny begins with the person's full legal name. If we cannot even call that person by his full legal name, then we will be forced to evade other aspects about him such as his family ties (his wife will be off limits), his friendships (his pastor will be off limits), his past utterances, his past actions...

As far as Michelle Obama being caught on tape giving a "whitey" rant in church a few years back, Obama today vehemently denied it*. However, the owner of a popular right-wing website said Karl Rove has a copy of the video and will use it as an "October Surprise".

As far as Michelle Obama being caught on tape giving a "whitey" rant in church a few years back, Obama today vehemently denied it*. However, the owner of a popular right-wing website said Karl Rove has a copy of the video and will use it as an "October Surprise".

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe that that rumored video of Michelle Obama giving a "hate whitey" speech exists. If it did, it would've surfaced by now. Either Bill O'Reilly's staff would've found it, or someone on Hillary Clinton's campaign staff would've leaked it onto YouTube months ago.

Welcome to the first affirmative action election folks.

What is that suppose to mean and why do you think that?

I doubt a kid would choose the name Obama for themselves if they wanted to try to be President of the United States one day(that is what Obama said regarding similiar comments to yours).

Edited by shyboy

Excuse Me?? What is that suppose to mean and why do you think that? I doubt a kid would choose the name Obama for themselves if they wanted to try to be President of the United States one day.

I can't speak for the original poster of that statement but what I think they meant is that Obama would have just about as much appeal as Joe Biden if he weren't black, and Hillary would have clinched the nomination months ago.

White guilty liberals vote for him because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside as they desperately try to find ways to ease their consciences for being too successful (or for simply being white).

And black people vote for him, well... because he's black.

Edited by ers

I can't speak for the original poster of that statement but what I think they meant is that Obama would have just about as much appeal as Joe Biden if he weren't black, and Hillary would have clinched the nomination months ago.

White guilty liberals vote for him because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside as they desperately try to find ways to ease their consciences for being too successful (or for simply being white).

And black people vote for him, well... because he's black.

Hmmm, I doubt Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton could gather as much support as Obama has and they are black.

There is no evidence for what you are saying.

Edited by shyboy

Hmmm, I doubt Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton could gather as much support as Obama has and they are black.

There is no evidence for what you are saying.

Yes there is. Point taken about Jackson/Sharpton, but that's like saying Jeremiah Wright wouldn't gather as much support simply on the basis of being black. Obama is a mainstream candidate (who also happens to be an excellent orator).

Obama's base consists of two major groups:

1. Blacks

2. Voters under 30 (primarily college students)

Look at the states where he won the democratic primaries compared to the ones he lost and then compare that to the black populations in those states.

And again, imagine a non black Obama, espousing the same exact ideas and policies. Where would his appeal be? He'd be just another white guy in a long list (Biden/Edwards/etc) up against Hillary, when this country practically ejaculates over the idea of either a woman or a black president. And apparently being black has more appeal.

Edited by ers

A lot of people are uneducated concerning politics, so they decide to vote for the black guy just so a black person can get into office. Also, any simpleton knows Bush was a horrible president so if soemone is up there shouting "Change!" they sound great.

What is that suppose to mean and why do you think that?

It means exactly what you know it means. The moron Obama is not qualified to be a presidential candidate, and has been promoted to where he is simply because he is black. In the same manner, a black kid with a 2.0 GPA gets into a university or a job over a white kid with better credentials, because he happens to be black.

We've already exposed you as a DuBois lover and your theories as garbage. Wherever there is a post addressing the issue of race, you seem to magically appear to defend some absurd position. I told you to go read one of the greatest books ever written, Up From Slavery by the extremely intelligent Booker T. Washington. You told me you'd never even heard of him.

There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the subtle habit of advertising their wrongs, partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.-- Booker T. Washington
Edited by adrock3215

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe that that rumored video of Michelle Obama giving a "hate whitey" speech exists. If it did, it would've surfaced by now. Either Bill O'Reilly's staff would've found it, or someone on Hillary Clinton's campaign staff would've leaked it onto YouTube months ago.

This is what I dont get. People tend to worry about the wrong things about Obama. I dont care if his preacher is racist and in my eyes Michelle Obama is great. What I AM WORRIED ABOUT however, is Obama's record of gun-grabbing and border-jumper enabling.

If you are a Republican and voted McCain, you deserve a president thats a coke sniffin non traffic ticket paying dude named Hussien!

While you can often judge a person by the company he keeps I'm far less worried about what anyone other than Obama says. Listen to him

When he talks about equality of pay among the workers, that is not a throw away line.

When he talks about the federal government regulating senior executive and CEO compensation, that is not a throw a way line.

When he implies he is in favor of nationalization, that is not a throw away concept

When he says he can not renounce someone or some ideal and promptly does, that indicates just what he is willing to throw away for power.

CNBC has a special on right now titled McCain vs. Obama. Obviously, due to the nature of the television station, the special is about the economy and the two candidates respective views and policies. Both candidates were interviewed. In my estimation, McCain was calling for a greater expansion of government than Obama was! I was astonished! McCain was very adamant about expanding welfare and unemployment benefits. Obama actually paid a greater tribute to markets than McCain did, at least in this particular program!

This is what I dont get. People tend to worry about the wrong things about Obama. I dont care if his preacher is racist and in my eyes Michelle Obama is great. What I AM WORRIED ABOUT however, is Obama's record of gun-grabbing and border-jumper enabling.

If you are a Republican and voted McCain, you deserve a president thats a coke sniffin non traffic ticket paying dude named Hussien!

His lax stance on imigration isn't lax enough for me. Do you really like Michelle Obama?

The racism is important, because there is the potential for them to use it against citizens if elected, anti-white legislation, for instance. This is not just racism, but racism with a mission. It is not a trivial issue.

Obama is the postmodernist candidate, with all that entails. Pomos are destroying America and they are still on the ascendancy. The armies created from K12 through University are rising to the highest offices of power. The brainwashing is starting to pay dividends.

With Obama's friends, btw, there is also a strong willingness to act against people on the basis of the bad ideas. One of the things that struck me about father Pfleger is that he is a thug (you may have heard how he threatened to "snuff out" a gun shop owner). He's a man with no regard for justice and he's thoroughly anti-American It would be scary to have thugs like that occupying positions of power in the U.S. government. William Ayers is another thug who is not afraid to use murderous violence and another big friend of Obama's. Imagine those sort of people occupying high positions of power in America, and what that will mean.

John McCain is a joke as well. He makes George Bush look like Thomas Jefferson. This is the worst election America has ever faced. There is nothing to choose. It's all bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday Obama declared that he was going to overhaul and expand Bush's faith based initiatives which funnel government funding to religious organizations.

The Obama plan would create a new President's Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships in the White House and retain the offices in various federal agencies that oversee grants to faith-based and other community groups. The council would launch a training effort – by which larger charities trained smaller local organizations – and also hold grant recipients accountable by conducting rigorous performance evaluations.

His plan also envisions a $500 million per year summer learning program to focus efforts on closing the education achievement gap of poor and minority students. He aims to serve a million children in the effort.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0702/p25s10-uspo.html

Obama is making a concerted effort to embrace religion in this campaign.

Obama was out today asking Americans for "service":

"I won't just ask for your vote as a candidate; I will ask for your service and your active citizenship when I am president of the United States. This will not be a call issued in one speech or program; this will be a cause of my presidency."

When not enough Americans sign up to do voluntary service, I assume that it will become a requirement. Four years under this guy is going to be interesting, to say the least.

I wrote "Obama is the postmodernist candidate"

you responded:

What does this even mean?

He represents the values of postmodernism: multiculturalism, environmentalism, anti-Westernism, etc. In many ways he fits perfectly the postmodernist ideal. It was quite revealing when Chris Mathews and a journalist (I think Barnacle of the Boston Globe) enthusiastically endorsed Obama on the basis of "diversity". They thought that was the big issue, which means his race was central to their decision, which is the postmodernist position and the one a lot of people uphold.

If you don't know what postmodernism is, I suggest you look into it, because it's very much the philosophy of our time, by which I mean it's the one the "intellectual" left has been pushing since the late 1960s or so. Today it’s taught at all levels in the public school system and it's taught at the university level.