Objectivism Online Forum

Introducing The One Minute Case

DavidV

What is it?

The One Minute Case is a new collaborative blog which will present a brief argument about a controversial issue that can be read in under a minute. The goal is to publish one case per day. You can read the cases to learn something new about an issue or use them as a source for longer arguments of your own.

Why so short?

Some issues can be summarized in 60 seconds, while in other cases, we’ll try to make you aware of a new perspective. The goal is to encourage critical thinking and discussion rather than present an open and shut case. If you disagree, or think something is missing, comment away!

What do the cases look like?

Here’s the first one.

How to contribute

Just register and a submit a case (such as one of the proposed topics) as a comment or email. If we like your style, you’ll be given publishing privileges.

If you know anyone who might be interested in contributing, please let them know!

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

By the way, I have over a dozen posts in various states of progress ready for someone to complete them if you don't want to write a complete post on your own.

Is it possible to put the "One Minute Case" prefix into the template that displays the "case", leaving only the shorter title for display in the RHS panel? Alternatively, does WordPress allow something other than a title -- maybe a short-title -- for a post. It's the unindented, unbulleted wrapping of text in the RHS panel that creates slight clutter, because there's not visual cue to indicate if the next line is a continuation or a separate point.

Edited by softwareNerd

In the near future I plan to submit two cases:

The One Minute Case Against Iran's Alleged Right to Uranium Enrichment Technology.

The One Minute Case For Privatizing Education.

I hope that nobody already started working on these!

This is a pretty neat idea, and the arguments made so far are all very direct to the point and persuasive , while being fairly short.

If I think of any cases that should be covered that are not on the list I will bring them up. Meanwhile I will read the proposed list and see if I wish to cover any of those yet to be covered should I have the time. I might also consider helping complete some of those in completion.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Prometheus98876

Hey, how are those cases coming? I could use a writing break :worry:

The One Minute Case Against Iran's "Right" to Uranium Enrichment Technology is complete. I am presently waiting for a password to be e-mailed to me.

I will probably get started on the One Minute Case For Privatizing Education this weekend. I suppose I am not nearly as prolific as you! :lol:

Thusfar I am having fun, so I may propose more topics after these two are complete.

The One Minute Case Against Iran's "Right" to Uranium Enrichment Technology is complete. I am presently waiting for a password to be e-mailed to me.

I will probably get started on the One Minute Case For Privatizing Education this weekend. I suppose I am not nearly as prolific as you! :lol:

Thusfar I am having fun, so I may propose more topics after these two are complete.

Cover animal rights please.

What about one against the Uncertainty Principle? I think I could manage to do that one.

The emphasis is mine.

I would only write the one minute case against the uncertainty principle if you are absolutely certain! B)

Yes, since you are a gorilla.

Sure. You are the asian female after all. :lol:

Edited by DarkWaters

The emphasis is mine.

I would only write the one minute case against the uncertainty principle if you are absolutely certain! :)

Well the more I determine my certainty I want to, the less I can know whether I can :-P

Well, seriously I am quite certain in all respects.

• 5 months later...