Objectivism Online Forum

Anyone attend the North Texas Objectivist Group regularly?

Rate this topic

I imagine a least a few of you attend or have attended the NTO Group here in DFW. I'm curious what some of you think of the group? I was thinking I could get very objective thoughts on the group here :thumbsup:

I thought about going for a while, and got really close to going once, but I decided not to.

The manager of the group seemed nice, but I kind of got a negative impression from some of the other people on their message boards. They were really getting into some intense debates, uncomfortable ones, so I decided I didn't want to be involved with that. I also got the impression most of the people who attend were much older than I, so I thought I would probably feel uncomfortable in that regard too. However, I'm not sure what kind of environment it is like or how the meetings are run.

Still it would be nice to meet some actual objectivists. I have couple great friends who share many of the same viewpoints but none who have read any of Ayn Rand's book.

I imagine a least a few of you attend or have attended the NTO Group here in DFW. I'm curious what some of you think of the group? I was thinking I could get very objective thoughts on the group here :)

I thought about going for a while, and got really close to going once, but I decided not to.

The manager of the group seemed nice, but I kind of got a negative impression from some of the other people on their message boards. They were really getting into some intense debates, uncomfortable ones, so I decided I didn't want to be involved with that. I also got the impression most of the people who attend were much older than I, so I thought I would probably feel uncomfortable in that regard too. However, I'm not sure what kind of environment it is like or how the meetings are run.

Still it would be nice to meet some actual objectivists. I have couple great friends who share many of the same viewpoints but none who have read any of Ayn Rand's book.

Dorian,

Hello!

I have been attending NTOS for about a year and a half. I attend with my husband and 5 kids. While, sure it does have a large membership of people over 30, we do have a great group of younger people as well. My son is only 16, and he sometimes got a little bored in the beginning, but he has since warmed up to the group quite a bit, since some of the members that are a few years older them him have been great about reaching out to him.

I agee, that there is some discourse on the message board that is sometimes disheartening. However, let me assure that it is worth checking out. Only a small percentage of the actually attendees even post. There is sometimes disagreements, but overall it is an extremely positive experience. Please don't judge the group over just what you will see on the NTOS metup board. Even myself and my husband have gotten into some of the more serious debates, but most of people that participate are pretty reasonable. I have even changed my mind on one or two things since I started attended because of a discussion on the board, but mostly discussions at the group.

When my husband I first started attending, we didn't know what Objectivism was. For us, it put us on the path of studying Objectivism, which of course has, I think, really changed our lives for the better in many ways. For someone that is already familiar with Objectivism, I think it can give you a place to socialize with people that "get it". Quite a nice oaisis, especially in the land of the bible belt hahah.

There are a lot of great people that attend. I think it would be worth your time to spend an evening or two with the group. And sometimes we have a chocolate fountain - that in itself is worth coming at least once, isn't it? ;) David is one of the people we have met through NTOS; if you haven't met him in person yet, that is another good reason to go. The fellow is a hoot. Smart too...but I don't think one can truly have THE DAVID EXPERIENCE unless you get to meet him in person too.

I hope you will come! I look forward to meeting you!

Sherry