Objectivism Online Forum

Is war with the Islamic Republic of Iran imminent?

Rate this topic

Yankee White

You know I predicted this would happen, I knew it, I KNEW IT! No, its not ESP, no its not mystical revelations, but I'm informed and I really did make this educated guess..

When the USS John C Stennis left the gulf as the Nimitz was arriving at the Suez Canal a few weeks ago, I must be some awesome predictor, because when this happened this is what I was thinking...

"My strategy, and actually, I reckon Cheney will do this, would be to turn that around and have it enter the Gulf with the USS Nimitz at the same time. With the Boxer Strike group leaving, I bet that when the Nimitz moves into the Persian Gulf, it will come in with something better than the Boxer Strike Group. As for the USS Stennis, there's no way Bush is going to let that thing make its way to Guam, there's too much at stake."

Anyway back to the facts. This news just out.

Navy Assembles 9 Warships Off Iranian Coast in Surprise Show of Force in Gulf

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274955,00.html

Nine US military ships enter Persian Gulf Wednesday, assembling off Iran’s coast in largest American naval move since 2003

http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=4224

Lets hope this ends up better than a CIA coup that props up a dictator (which is like asking for the 1979 hostage crisis).

Wishful thinking. I'm not in the Navy but I doubt the ship movements indicate a serious change in policy. Also keep in mind that an invasion of Iran would require significant troop movements more than anything.

To clarify, Iran is at war with America even though most Americans can't seem to grasp that fact. Iran arms anti-American militias in Iraq with sophisticated Explosively Formed Penetrators and scores of small arms, and provides funding and training to those militias. It is even rumored that Iranian Quds operatives (special forces) have operated directly against coalition forces.

One can hope a much-overdue war against Iran will start soon. However, I have to ask: could the ship movements be related to the surge underway in Iraq?

I've heard drips and drabs about the Islamic Republic of Iran planning for a summer attack against the United States in Iraq.

Dick Cheney took a visit two weeks ago to Saudi and friends to tell them Bush is intent on doing something about Iran by 2009, I've read from one site that the intelligence briefings almost daily are coming out "Iran Iran Iran" like a pragmatic imperative glazing "do something" daily. Bush knows the Syrians and Iranians are stuffing around, the problem is he feels he has to ring the UN about it (re: remember the G8 summit a year ago and the off-mic comments?).

What we do know is that the United States strategy is to split Iraq into three autonomous regions, Kurdistan, Sunni west, Shia south west/east (in relation to Baghdad). That's the esoteric strategy, where we've seen it in the news is in the US military trying to stop a fourth province coming into existence (Anbar, i.e.: an Al Qaeda autonomous region [i.e.: ohh my this can't possibly happen, etc]).

Cheney told Saudi Arabia that in August the United States will make an announcement and shortly after there will probably be an extremely fast withdrawal, with only a few coalition forces left in southern Iraq.

My sources are memory from snippets on Debka, Foxnews, CNN, Reuters, Overseas Security Advisory Council and some other random places. I try to verify incoming facts as best as I can.

My prediction is that there will be a major attack on US soil before September. The desired reaction will bring the Islamic Republic of Iran to do X, and I have no idea what X is. But I think Iran cannot do much without some tactical asymmetrical warfare (remember Iran and Iraq, the border didn't really change much lol).

• 4 weeks later...
What we do know is that the United States strategy is to split Iraq into three autonomous regions, Kurdistan, Sunni west, Shia south west/east (in relation to Baghdad). That's the esoteric strategy, where we've seen it in the news is in the US military trying to stop a fourth province coming into existence (Anbar, i.e.: an Al Qaeda autonomous region [i.e.: ohh my this can't possibly happen, etc]).

Partition is a possible strategy, but I havn't heard an announcement that we will be pusuing it.

Cheney told Saudi Arabia that in August the United States will make an announcement and shortly after there will probably be an extremely fast withdrawal, with only a few coalition forces left in southern Iraq.

Please try to link to a source on this.

My prediction is that there will be a major attack on US soil before September.

What leads you to predict this?

Partition is a possible strategy, but I havn't heard an announcement that we will be pusuing it.

Please try to link to a source on this.

What leads you to predict this?

My guess: Our enemies think we are foolish, dissolute and weak. We surely give that impression, especially our political leadership. The Japanese made the same mistake and discovered just how bad their mistake was on Aug. 6 and Aug. 9 of 1945. Our enemies think the sight of our own blood will paralyze us. Americans are a silly people until we are sufficiently provoked. Then we finally focus, at which point we become very dangerous to our enemies.

Bob Kolker