Objectivism Online Forum

In Praise of the Hero's Hike

Rate this topic

By Dan Edge from The Edge of Reason,cross-posted by MetaBlog

After several weather delays, the first Hero's Hike of the year is taking place this weekend, Saturday, May 26!

Several times each year, an Objectivist group makes the arduous journey up Breakneck Ridge in Cold Spring, NY. Some participants race to the top, and are covered in sweat and grime before they are halfway there. At the summit, we have a picnic and socialize then (usually) Andy Bernstein delivers a prepared talk. After that is the "Celebrate Self" portion of the event, during which Heroes have the opportunity to stand up and share their personal accomplishments and goals with the rest of the group. Finally, everyone treks back down the mountain and meets at the local diner, where more eating and socializing ensue.

I always look forward to these events, more so than any other Objectivist gathering. I have developed friendships - a few of them very close friendships - with many of the regular participants. There's a common spirit within this group, and it's not just the fact that they're Objectivists. There's something about the philosophy of the Hero's Society (which sponsors the Hero's Hike) that attracts those who are integrated in mind and body. Here is the mission of the Hero's Society, as articulated by its founder, Robert Begley:

"The New York Heroes Society celebrates human achievement and stature, consistent with Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism, through lectures, physical activities, and cultural events for all who worship heroism and aspire to it in their own lives."

Note how he places a stress on the physical aspect of heroism. This kind of stress is uncommon, and it is part of what makes the Hero's Society special. Many Objectivists think of virtue as a thing totally within the mind. Rationality is the primary virtue, we are told, and it is a function of consciousness. So why place any focus on the physical?

Because man is a being of integrated mind and body.

One's body is a value, and striving for physical excellence is a virtue. One's body supports his life, and one's physical condition determines in part the range of activities that are open to him. Not everyone can make it to the top of Breakneck Ridge - and that's the point. Trudging up that rocky trail to the summit is a painful experience for some, but it's something to be proud of. That our bodies are capable of doing this is something to be celebrated and worshiped.

Even better, pushing one's body to its physical limits puts one in the mindset to push his mind to its spiritual limits. My mind is rarely as open and active as it is for Andy's summit talks. By the time we get around to the "Celebrate Self" portion of the event, I am primed to dream ambitious dreams.

A Hero's Hike exercises one's mind, body and soul. Those who seek this integrated form of exercise are my kind of folks. That's why I've found so many friends there. A Hero is as fit physically as he is mentally. He discusses ideas with his friends, then climbs a mountain with them. He shares his thoughts with a lady, then takes her out dancing. He reads other people's essays, then writes a few of his own. He is a rational man of action. That's the kind of men and women you'll find at the Hero's Hike. And that's why I'll keep going back.

--Dan Edge

ObjectivismOnline?i=E9nE4NMf</img> ObjectivismOnline?i=rO7Ww6qZ</img> ObjectivismOnline?i=WDFlbQBH</img>

View the full article