Objectivism Online Forum

Polyamory

Rate this topic

walsh

I just recently came upon an article on Nerve that discusses polyamory. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the premises in the article are wrong, but it sparked a question.

Is polyamory wrong? Is it compatible with an Objectivist outlook?

Speaking entirely from memory of the archetypes in AS, I might say no. Dagny has an exclusive relationship with Francisco, then stops, has one with Rearden, and upon meeting Galt ends the relationship with Rearden.

So we can at least observe that the desire to possess one person is okay.

But are there circumstances, such as a complete equality between two people (say two Galt-esque persons, obviously differing, but the same in all essentials) where the observer might have both? Or, assuming two observers, where they might all desire all of themselves as equally? Can the acquisition of two partners equal a double gain?

Is polyamory wrong?  Is it compatible with an Objectivist outlook?

During the question and answer period of a lecture in the very early 1960s, I remember Ayn Rand being asked that question. As I recall she answered that it is certainly possible to be in romantic love with two people at the same time. I also seem to recall, but am not completely sure, that she also said it was not possible to sustain such a situation for an extended time.

Thank you Stephen.

Do you have any idea why she thought a polyamorous relationship wouldn't last? Or perhaps your own justification for the statement? I'd be interested in the facts of reality that make it so.

Thank you Stephen.

You're welcome.

Do you have any idea why she thought a polyamorous relationship wouldn't last?  Or perhaps your own justification for the statement?  I'd be interested in the facts of reality that make it so.

I am entirely sure about her stating it is possible to be in romantic love with two people at once. But, as I said, I am much less sure about her answer to the second part, so I will just speak for myself.

I would think it would be impossible to maintain, for an extended period of time, separate psychological contexts for each of your loves. Given that romantic love is a response to our highest values, how could you easily switch off your response to one love in order to be with the other? Over a long period of time how could you only think about the love who you are with, and not think about the other?

I do not think that such compartmentalization is possible over extended time. A healthy mind is too integrated to be so selective in terms of response, especially inn regard to romantic love, which embodies our highest values. I can see it happening for a period of time but, ultimately, I think one would have to choose.