Objectivism Online Forum

Goodbye, Cindy Sheehan

Rate this topic

By Myrhaf from Myrhaf,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Cindy Sheehan has written her resignation statement as the face of the peace movement. It is the bitter, spiteful work of a bitter, spiteful woman. She lashes out at Democrats and the peace movement in addition to the country she loathes, America.

…I was the darling of the so-called left as long as I limited my protests to George Bush and the Republican Party. Of course, I was slandered and libeled by the right as a "tool" of the Democratic Party. This label was to marginalize me and my message. How could a woman have an original thought, or be working outside of our "two-party" system?

However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the "left" started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used. I guess no one paid attention to me when I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is not a matter of "right or left", but "right and wrong."

This I believe is accurate. There are many in the Democrat Party who hate the Republicans more than they oppose war or America. If a Democrat were president, no doubt many on the left would support this war. Likewise, some in the Republican Party would find reasons to oppose the war in Iraq, simply because it is a Democrat war. (Perhaps they would oppose it for a good reason: that Iraq is a waste of time and we should be going after Iran and Saudi Arabia.) That’s party politics.

Good-bye America ...you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can’t make you be that country unless you want it.

It’s up to you now.

What is the country that she loves? Canada? France? Venezuela?

Is she really gone for good? Don’t count on it. This letter marks the beginning of her money-making period. Now she will write books and give speeches, all for a fee.

The leftist idea that the American people are mindless sheep, manipulated by the lies of the corporate media -- an idea Gore expounds in his latest book -- lends itself to this kind of defeatism. Leftists do not think reason works with people blinded by capitalist greed. They think crusades such as Cindy Sheehan’s are doomed to fail and deep down they are certain that only force will work. Power is the only path to change in the leftist imagination. Crusades and protests are merely noble, Byronic gestures that at best illustrate the hopeless corruption of America. Cindy Sheehan’s failure serves as further justification to the left for expanding the power of the state -- as long as leftists do the expanding.

View the full article