Objectivism Online Forum

Death Note

Rate this topic

Mammon

I was wondering if anyone here is watching the anime Death Note. It's a really good show and at the core is basically one big debate about morality. I didn't want to proceed unless someone knew what I was talking about.

• 4 months later...

I love how out of 325 views, no one knows what I am talking about.

I think the show is coming to Adult Swim here soon anyways...

Also, I wanted to post the rules, just because I felt like it.

The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.

If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack.

After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds (400 seconds, which is ten times the length required for the cause of death).

• 2 months later...
I have read the manga. The first half of the series is excellent. It gets progressive more banal as the series went on.

Agreed. Halfway through is about when I quit reading. The anime seemed to ignore the morality/thought processes behind the characters, and as usual, I found myself preferring the manga more.

I agree, in the second half it begins to fall apart, it becomes an example for the 'prudent predator' question, when you started becoming criminal you spend more and more time on covering up your previous lies with more lies. The story becomes a little too 'constructed' to be believable, probably to catch the viewer's interest from episode to episode.

In the second half I always hoped for L to return, explaining that he faked his own death exposing Kira :thumbsup:

Besides that the underlying idea is great. I love fantasy stories where some sort of magic (or technology in the case of scifi stories) is used as a story tool to personify a certain abstract concept. Because that is how they should be, representing reality. A fantasy story with magic just for the magic's sake is boring. In this case it's a battle between the idea that an innocent saved is more worth than a criminal punished and the opposite.

I have seen the complete anime, mercifully in Japanese. I, too, was mildly entertained by the first half of the story (~2/3 of the series), but off-put by the end. Early on, it was clear that there were complicated rules behind the death note, but they didn't really drive the story. Towards the end I felt like the technicalities of took over. Also, the ideas started off interesting, but didn't really go anywhere.

~Q

Turing, you may write whatever you wish with the forum's "Spoiler" feature. Just type your text inside these spoiler tags, [spoi ler]your text[/spoi ler], but without the spaces, and it will read like

this

, so that readers will have to highlight what was written in order to read it. Or when you reply, you can simply click the "Insert: SPOILER" button to the left, if you wish.

Edited by JASKN

Oh whoa, people actually watched something that I did!

Did you guys watch the English dubbed ones on Adult Swim or the Japanese ones? I think the Japanese ones with english subs is a lot better, it seems like they left out a lot in English version. Also, how far did you guys get, you say "The End" but do you mean the end where

Light dies

?

I watched the subbed version - I only ever do. And that is what I mean by "end," on account of that's all they made, so far as I know. It is my understanding that the manga goes on for quite a bit longer, but of that I have no specific knowledge. I didn't even know it was showing on Adult Swim.

~Q

I've compiled a few clips into a trailer which discuss the philosophical aspects (well... superficially)

These are from of the first two episodes and possibly spoiler those two episodes, so I recommend it only for those who already have seen them.

The ending is mine though :D

Edited by Clawg

• 6 months later...

The first part of the story was indeed the best.

What I particularly liked about it was that the magic in the series followed certain rules which could not be broken just because you really really wanted to, that happens way too often.

I was somewhat disappointed that they never explained how the race of parasitic ''death gods'' ever came into existence or what they actually are, those bits of extra lore could have made the end of the story a bit more interesting.

• 13 years later...