Objectivism Online Forum

Vaclav Klaus

Rate this topic

K-Mac

I think I'm falling in love with this man. He makes me very proud of my Czech heritage.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/e9df7200-19c7-11dc...0b5df10621.html

My favorite quote from the story...

"To say that “the supporters of capitalism demand that they are free to dump their waste on their neighbours lawns without consequence” has the beauty of communist propaganda I had a chance to “enjoy” during the first 48 years of my life."

He is a free-market oriented economist who has written for Cato.

Freedom, not climate is at risk

The issue of global warming is more about social than natural sciences and more about man and his freedom than about tenths of a degree Celsius changes in average global temperature.

As someone who lived under communism for most of his life, I feel obliged to say that I see the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity now in ambitious environmentalism, not in communism. This ideology wants to replace the free and spontaneous evolution of mankind by a sort of central (now global) planning.
Edited by ~Sophia~

You might find his website interesting. He has some articles in english there.

He has written a short book about climate change and environmentalism not long ago. But I guess it won´t be published in english so you would have to learn czech to read it. :)

• 1 year later...

The NYTimes reports that Klaus is poised to be made President of the EU. Unfortunately, it appears to be a position without real power. Apart from his well known objections to Al Gore and the GW scare-mongers, here's what the NYTimes says about Klaus:

While even many of the world’s most ardent free marketeers acknowledged the need for the recent coordinated bailout of European banks, Mr. Klaus lambasted it as irresponsible protectionism. He blamed too much — rather than too little — regulation for the crisis.

• 2 months later...

Git on wit yo bad self, Vaclav!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090219/ap_on_...ch_skepticism_1

"Not so long ago, in our part of Europe we lived in a political system that permitted no alternatives and therefore also no parliamentary opposition," said Klaus. "We learned the bitter lesson that with no opposition, there is no freedom."