Objectivism Online Forum

Polygamy / Monogamy: The Ethics of...

Rate this topic

Anastassia Florine

That is exactly my point. Since there is no principled argument that it is immoral, then it is consequently contextually moral (i.e. - may be a proper choice for some people).
Just to clarify my own position, I don't think it's immoral.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving life is good… but quality of life counts too. It’s true that if there’s the more quantity there is potential for more quality, but that doesn’t mean there is more quality… then again quality of life includes being allowed one’s own lifestyle, and polygamy is a lifestyle…

Discuss. :)

If its consensual, no.

Most people hate the idea because they feel like they've been cheated marrying just one women.

I mean. Because its not fair to the women he married. :P

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm, I would hope that most people that are in a monogamous relationship chose to do so... It's viciously wrong to prefer polygamy but remain in a relationship with just one person because it "wouldn't be fair" to them otherwise. Same goes for the opposite, but I don't think that occurs very often.

Altruism and romantic relationships are so not meant for eachother :D

• 4 months later...
What do the members think about polygamy? Should it be made legal for anyone to choose to be a polygamist?

If you ask me, I think polygamy is barbaric and should be banned.

Just wanted to know the thoughts of others here.

It violates nobody's rights, so whether you think it is great or lousy, there is no basis on which to want or declare it illegal.

As for what people think of it, well... there has been a thread or two. A very, very, long thread or two. I suggest a search. (Merged with old thread -sN)

Edited by softwareNerd

If you ask me, I think polygamy is barbaric and should be banned.

What about polygamy leads you to conclude that it is either uncivilized or primitive? And as Inspector alluded to, why do you think it violates anyone's right such that it should be "banned"?

In Atlas Shrugged, when Dagny is in the valley, she visits Francisco one afternoon, and there is a moment that she leans against him, he looks at her and both of them feel passion for one another. Neither of them act on it. Then later on, When Galt and Dagny (and Francisco) are at Francisco's house, and Francisco finds out for the first time that Galt and Dagny are interested in one another, he immediately assumes that it means that he cannot have Dagny, and Galt assumes the same, when he tells him (something like) "I would give everything for this to be different, except for that which is beyond giving".

Polygamy is completely out of the question for them, even though there is not a problem of desire. Dagny wants Galt, he wants her, she wants Francisco, Francisco wants her. Why can't she have them both? What is the rational reason why she would deprive herself of that pleasure that she can have with Francisco, and act not according to her emotions for him?

Edited by ifatart

What about polygamy leads you to conclude that it is either uncivilized or primitive? And as Inspector alluded to, why do you think it violates anyone's right such that it should be "banned"?

In a polygamous marriage, all the wives may not be fully satisfied by the husband. Actually, I don't think it violates anyone's rights as such.

In a polygamous marriage, all the wives may not be fully satisfied by the husband. Actually, I don't think it violates anyone's rights as such.

...and you should understand that whether it is good, and whether it violates rights, are two separate questions. ...But I detect you might be discovering that right now.

Edited by Inspector

In a polygamous marriage, all the wives may not be fully satisfied by the husband.
(My bold highlight)

Okay, but I don't understand how that has anything to with an arrangement being barbaric. Aside from that, I've seen many monogamous relationships where the one wife (or husband for that matter) was not satisified.

Perhaps she liked Galt better, and enough better that she wanted their relationship to be special.

What makes a relationship special comes from the values that two people share. Why is there a need to add artificial things as well? I mean, what's next, is she going to stop dressing up (with pretty clothes) for work so it would be special just for him? Is he going to stop looking at art so that she would be the only piece of art he sees? etc'. Those things also make the relationship more special.

Perhaps she liked Galt better, and enough better that she wanted their relationship to be special.

And sacrificing another value makes it "special"? This argument is completely flawed.

Either when you find someone you like "better" a romantic relationship with the previous "best" becomes worthless (this makes no sense to me) or giving up the relationship with the previous person is a disvalue.

Obviously, if the new "better" person is unwilling to share, so to speak, changing partners is not a sacrifice - it is exchanging a value for a greater one. This is the context in which I find monogamy to be justifiable. It does not exclude the possibility that some people may find it better to have romantic relationships with multiple people they value - and does not make each relationship in that context any less meaningful.

And sacrificing another value makes it "special"? This argument is completely flawed.
:D just what I said.

Obviously, if the new "better" person is unwilling to share, so to speak, changing partners is not a sacrifice - it is exchanging a value for a greater one.

What would be a rational reason that one would not want to "share"? Suppose the time Dagny would spend with Francisco would not be at the expense of the time she could have spent with Galt (for example, she would sleep with Francisco once a month when Galt is not available anyway).

What does introspection tell you? Can you imagine a situation where you would not want your husband to be close to another woman?

There are countless reasons why you could want your husband/wife not to be close to another woman/man. That does not mean any of them are rational, nor does it mean that they apply equally to all people.

Either there is a rationally identifiable principle explaining why accepting a third party romantical involvement is objectively bad or there isn't.

Either there is a rationally identifiable principle explaining why accepting a third party romantical involvement is objectively bad or there isn't.
You're assuming it's an issue of Ethics (i.e. a non-optional decision). Edited by softwareNerd

Obviously, if the new "better" person is unwilling to share, so to speak, changing partners is not a sacrifice - it is exchanging a value for a greater one. This is the context in which I find monogamy to be justifiable.

Exactly what planet are you from where this isn't patently obvious? Of course monogamy is practiced because people are unwilling to share.

What does introspection tell you? Can you imagine a situation where you would not want your husband to be close to another woman?

I have a problem introspecting this one. I first need to identify the rational reasons for choosing something before being able to decide about it, or feel something about it. And when I look inside and ask myself about this, I get blank.

You're assuming it's an issue of Ethics (i.e. a non-optional decision).

I think this is an issue of ethics, because it is an issue of rational or irrational choice. I agree with mrocktor.

I think this is an issue of ethics, because it is an issue of rational or irrational choice.
Every choice, qua choice, is an issue of ethics. Still, they are contextual.

What would be a rational reason that one would not want to "share"?
Let's take one step back. Before asking why a rational person would want to share someone else's love with another object of that love, ask: why would a rational person want someone else's love in the first place? I mean, if love is a response to values, and that's all there is to it, why would anyone care if that love is reciprocated?

Planet earth.

You sure?

No, honestly. Because if you are, how can you be missing an understanding of this? You might as well ask what would be a rational reason why a person would want to listen to music. I'm not accusing you of dishonesty, I'm just taken aback that a person could be missing an understanding of this.

Anyway, I hope SoftwareNerd can clear this up for you.