Objectivism Online Forum

Privacy and Sex

Rate this topic

Maybe I should of made a poll for this thread...
Would that really be useful to you? It's the middle one. Actually, there isn't a third one "something else" isn't a reason, it's the denial of reasons and possibly the denial of reason, so you'd learn nothing from having a poll that included "not the first two". If you learned that most people agree that it's the middle one, you would have learned that most people who read and vote hear are Objectivists. If for some horrifying reason the majority of people said "It's the social taboo", you'd learn that the forum had been invaded by vote-trolls. I suggest that a poll would be counterproductive, and you've got the answer.

Does privacy mean only "without someone else watching"? If it also includes "...and/or interfering in some way," then, minus a small populace that gets its kicks out of interference (I'm sure they're out there), everyone wants that kind of privacy; who wants to get interrupted during sex?

If privacy means only "without observers," I do not see why that is a prerequisite to sex. I can't think of a reason why someone would want observers, but rather I don't see why he should care one way or the other.

Ah, no actually it is categorising any other reasons into one broad category.
Kane, I think David's point was that all Objectivists are going to vote your "middle one," and that, given OO.net is an Objectivist board, the response is obvious ahead of time. Thus, your poll would be superfluous. Edited by JASKN

Does privacy mean only "without someone else watching"? If it also includes "...and/or interfering in some way," then, minus a small populace that gets its kicks out of interference (I'm sure they're out there), everyone wants that kind of privacy; who wants to get interrupted during sex?

I am talking why, not if. Most people do want privacy as far as I am awar.

If privacy means only "without observers," I do not see why that is a prerequisite to sex. I can't think of a reason why someone would want observers, but rather I don't see why he should care one way or the other.

Well, as I said above, I want privacy because of how intimate sex is. It isn't because of possible interference, I want it because I want only my lover to see it.

Kane, I think David's point was that all Objectivists are going to vote your "middle one," and that, given OO.net is an Objectivist board, the response is obvious ahead of time. Thus, your poll would be superfluous.

I am not an Objectivist yet, only a student, so I am still unaware of what the Obectivist stance on many things is. This is one of them, or was rather.

I am not an Objectivist yet, only a student, so I am still unaware of what the Obectivist stance on many things is. This is one of them, or was rather.

For more on the subject of Objectivism's view on this, I'd suggest "Thought Control--Part III," which while for different reasons is causing controversy on this board, does clearly and unequivocally state Objectivism's position on privacy for sex.

For more on the subject of Objectivism's view on this, I'd suggest "Thought Control--Part III," which while for different reasons is causing controversy on this board, does clearly and unequivocally state Objectivism's position on privacy for sex.

Is that a book, an essay, or something else?

Oh, and the point of this thread was not to find out about Objectivism's view on this issue, but rather to find out about people in general (I wasn't just asking people to simply state their own reasons, but other reasons they know of people using).

Oh, I could well imagine something else being the reason. For example, you might not want other people to find out you have sex with a particular person--because they might tell your wife. :lol:

Or another conceivable reason, maybe the potential audience isn't willing to pay to watch and you won't put on a free show.

Is that a book, an essay, or something else?

Oh, and the point of this thread was not to find out about Objectivism's view on this issue, but rather to find out about people in general (I wasn't just asking people to simply state their own reasons, but other reasons they know of people using).

It's from The Ayn Rand Letter. But there are several active threads here that quote the relevant parts prominently. Sorry if I brought that into your thread, but you expressed an interest so I thought I would provide a primary source rather than just our say-so. :lol:

It's from The Ayn Rand Letter. But there are several active threads here that quote the relevant parts prominently. Sorry if I brought that into your thread, but you expressed an interest so I thought I would provide a primary source rather than just our say-so. :lol:

Sadly, for budgetary reasons I cannot get that or any other Ayn Rand book for some time. Food, power, and busfare to my It course comes first. As for the apology, no need. I appreciate your trying to help, even though I cannot read the book it is from. However, I will do a search for the quotes you mention.