Mweiss, it may interest you to know that Nebraska permits legislative bills to contain only one subject. Link (at the bottom of the section labeled “Checks and Balances”). I would love to see such a requirement at the federal level, but I’m not holding my breath.
Or we could have what someone I know once said, which is to allow 100, and only 100, federal laws. That’s funny, of course, but sometimes I actually wonder if that wouldn’t be better than what we have now.
I think that’s a great idea! Let’s limit the government to writing and enforcing just 100 laws, and they can’t be ‘catch all’ laws. You know it’s funny, but in the insurance industry, the State of Connecticut has a $7500 “catch all” fine. That’s when they think your firm has done something illegal or something the administration doesn’t agree with, and they levy this fine. I thought that was transparently funny.