A record of who I call is data, not metadata.
Fair enough, but I’ll just say that even if it’s just data, that won’t change what I said. If it’s just data about some phone number X calling phone number Y, I’d call that meta-data still because it says nothing about content, it only tells the phone numbers. I’ve heard of no evidence that anyone is looking for content and listening to everything you say on the phone. This is not a net - it’s closer to just a police officer walking down the street observing people. I acknowledge the bit about “a camera on every corner”, but a camera is a lot more intrusive than meta-data. The only difference is you use a computer. No one is presumed innocent or guilty even, since there is not anything intrusive in the first place. That is, unless you imagine it like some FBI people sitting around literally listening to your conversations. Data is useless until someone processes it quite thoroughly, and that’s when your privacy may be violated. No one is listening.
If there is no data collection, then the government is literally useless on the Internet. The problem is, while there is a degree of private space, there is also a degree of space that is just as open as a field in the forest. There’s a difference between you as an individual and the pieces of data you send out. As an individual there are particular data points about your life, like birth dates or birth place, and information like the content of your emails, phone calls, etc. Then there is meta-data, like the time a call is placed, or how often a number receives calls. In a massive database, that says nothing at all, yet a database will establish a cyberspace landscape with which to traverse (it’s digital space, not spatial territory though). If there is something really odd going on, perhaps calling to the middle of nowhere in Pakistan 20 times a day, then the data can be investigated further, as with any investigation. My only concern is if warrants are used to do further investigation.
“The government has no business knowing such information.”
Part of my point is that *no one* knows information about you until and if you are investigated. Information is more informative than data, and requires analysis. As far as I’ve heard, there isn’t necessarily any analysis (except presumably when a person is suspicious). Databases *have* data, but it doesn’t follow that the government *knows* anything. Indeed, there is potential and scope for abuse, hence my reasoning to add an ammendment to the Constitution.
I appreciate the text of the 4th Ammendment, DA. I have to think about that more. My discussion here has to do with if collecting meta-data qualifies as an unreasonable search. My position right now is that meta-data is not in any way a search, so I see neither violation of the 4th ammendment, nor any violation of rights.