Dystopian Art

It only took me like 3 attempts to get it right!

I do think happier endings like FH and AS are prefferable in general however, and those are better boosk partially because of their endings.

It only took me like 3 attempts to get it right!

Not exactly any where near your best effort really. You are usually a lot better. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do think happier endings like FH and AS are prefferable in general however, and those are better boosk partially because of their endings.

Finally we agree on endings. I did not think it possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well somewhat of an agreement sure. While I think endings like WTL can have value, I generally prefer the other sort.

Well somewhat of an agreement sure. While I think endings like WTL can have value, I generally prefer the other sort.

Yeah, well I was saying we agree on the other sort, not WTL. We clearly disagree there.

I was thinking maybe a moderator should move this WTL stuff to a new thread. We should and could of, but it is a bit late now, so maybe a moderator should move it since it is off topic.

Ayn did seem to adopt a less tragic and more heroic victory stance in her later work, though the pain of her history seems to have had a personal influence on everything she chose to do throughout her life.

To relate this back to painting, it seems that a priority in Objectivist Aesthetics is for the creator of the work to value it as high as their other values. As far as Capitalist aspects go, if the artist wants to make a profit the work should communicate a value to potential buyers that is at least equivalent to the time it took to make the work and the value the creator places on it.

Ayn

Stop saying that. Unless you knew her personally, the appropriate title is “Miss Rand” or “Ayn Rand.”

I hope DarkReaver will return to this thread to comment more on how close this work is to his highest ideals, or if any of this discussion has given him a sense for where he can choose to go with future artwork.

I hope DarkReaver will return to this thread to comment more on how close this work is to his highest ideals, or if any of this discussion has given him a sense for where he can choose to go with future artwork.

Apologies, I forgot all about this thread.

In regard to Darkreaver’s responses about his art. If you haven’t made art in 3 years, the question that seems relevant to me is ‘Why haven’t you been inspired to make work since these last pieces?’ Your curiosity about rules of Aesthetics seems to be based more on an urge in you now to make art that has relevance to your current state of mind. You seem to be wondering where to go from the last place you left off. Do you think that Objectivist rules of Aesthetics will expand or confine your personal art style?

I basically haven’t found time to create any artwork for the past couple of years. I’ve been more focused on both consolidating my philosophy in terms of ethics and politics - which I now believe I have, and working on career related things (I’m a web-designer / digital media developer / computer programmer). I suppose my aesthetic tastes have been chanelled into my design work, and I have indeed seen large changes. For example look at my own website now ( http://www.darkreavers.co.uk ) compared to what it was just over a year ago ( http://www.darkreavers.co.uk/portfolio_item.php?id=3 ). There is also the intermediate stage between the two: ( http://www.darkreavers.co.uk/portfolio_item.php?id=123 ). The broken concrete style has been completely discarded.

Thinking about it now, if I were to create an artwork now, it would likely be much more “clean” in style, and would not be so indecipherable as the paintings which are linked in my original post. Still, I am still interested in depicting powerful emotions like anger and terror, but perhaps with more of a context and meaning to them. For example anger at irrationality and coercion, and the terror of those who attempt to escape reality when they realise that it is impossible.