Good Reads

Has anyone here read East of Eden by John Steinbeck? I am wondering if it is worth my time.

I actually read it about half a year ago!

I’m not a voracious reader of fiction, so my standards of comparison are probably somewhat limited, but I thought his description and setting development were quite rich. I found the plot to be engaging, and the characters very well-developed, consistent, and often fascinating. There were several points in the book when I couldn’t wait to see what happened when character X met character Y, to see how their “natures” would interact.

As for philosophy, there is mention of Christian writings, and some use of Christian metaphor (though to tell you exactly what would spoil some of the plot). But, I remember a passage that was particularly individualistic, about the sanctity of the individual mind. I read a rumor somewhere that Steinbeck had met Rand, quite possibly in-between the publishing of Grapes of Wrath (1939) and East of Eden (1952). I can’t seem to find the reference now…ah! Here.

****

Objectivist Shoshana Milgram (professor of English at Virgina Tech) said in an interview with the Ayn Rand Institute:

“Last December I spoke at a session entitled “Problems in Literary Research,” about my detective work on the parallels between a passage in John Steinbeck’s East of Eden and Roark’s courtroom speech. I’d noticed the similarity many years ago, when I taught the Steinbeck novel, and I’ve been trying to discover how and when Steinbeck might have encountered Ayn Rand or The Fountainhead. A highlight of my investigation-in-progress was a phone call from Thomas Steinbeck, whom I’d contacted: he told me that his father had indeed known Ayn Rand.”

I’m not a voracious reader of fiction, so my standards of comparison are probably somewhat limited,

I know my comparisons are limited, and will continue to be, since I write way more than I read now.

But, I remember a passage that was particularly individualistic, about the sanctity of the individual mind.

I do to. It’s got to be the one in chapter 13 no doubt. But I have discovered many quotes that are of value in this novel. There are also characers that I particularily liked, Lee for example. Also one the most witchy characters in all of fiction is in the novel as well, Cathy. There is only one other character that I have read that is even comparable to her in that way and that is Zenia from Margaret Atwood’s “The Robber Bride.”

Sophia, I have no idea whether you have read Grapes or not, but EoE was certainly worth the read for me.

I read a rumor somewhere that Steinbeck had met Rand, quite possibly in-between the publishing of Grapes of Wrath (1939) and East of Eden (1952). I can’t seem to find the reference now…ah! Here.

Very interesting. I’ve been wondering for a while now, how the hell he went from writing Grapes to some of the passages in EoE… I know someone else on the board that may be interested in knowing about that reference…

If you’re in the mood for fun literature, I’d try Twain’s A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. It’s about an industrialist/inventor who winds up in the middle ages and tries to transform the period through reason and technology (with mixed results). Alternately humorous and thrilling it’s one of my personal favorites.

Anything by Frank H. Spearman, esp. “Nan of Music Mountain” and “Daughter of a Magnate”

My all time favorite fantasy novel is “The King of Elfland’s Daughter” by Lord Dunsany written in 1924

http://www.amazon.com/King-Elflands-Daught…7534&sr=8-1

My all time favorite fantasy novel is “The King of Elfland’s Daughter” by Lord Dunsany written in 1924

http://www.amazon.com/King-Elflands-Daught…7534&sr=8-1

Aside from, and preceding Rand I’m basically science fictions:

For fantasy adventure. It’s Tolkien

For hardcore science fiction it’s Heinlein, Asmiov, Niven and some Clarke and Aldiss

For sci-fi adventure it’s Anderson and E.E. Smith; especially the Skylark serids

For sci-fi exotica. Algis Budrys and Cordwainer Smith

Throw in Marion Zimmer Bradley

Add in IF magazine from 1961 to 1973 and the early TV space shows and I’m there

Just started reading this hilarious book.

The Butt - Will Self.