Intellectual Property: A Thought Experiment

It’s easy enough to say that only specific and unique designs can be patented (this piano or that piano, as opposed to THE piano). But this completely evades the hierarchal nature of knowledge.

It’s easy enough to deny that IP is conceptual ownership and then begin the semantic gyrations, in order to deny the consequences therein.

It’s easy enough to justify patents by their necessary role in production- and then deny the role of discoveries, in full, on the basis that they aren’t “creation” [as if invention alone is]. This, specifically, is the conflation of physical objects with their mental representation.

 

And an arbitrary time-limit, imposed by governmental mandate and hypothetical gunpoint, on an individual’s ownership of his supposed property? . . . Well, sure; why not?

 

If intellectual property is analogous to actual property then why is it okay for the government to confiscate it? And how exactly would this integrate into hands-off Capitalism?

Seriously?

 

Ask yourself this: if Wolfgang had taken Franz’ blueprints, added a little detail of his own and THEN built it, does Franz still own it?  If not then there is no issue here because that razes the entire concept of IP to a friendly suggestion.

If so then no production of any sort can EVER be possible.

 

If the only moral action is truly original action; that which nobody has ever conceived of before, then no actions are possible to anyone- except perhaps flailing around in place, as randomly as possible, until hunger and fatigue induce the greatest cliché of all- death.

Name a single item or method which does not incorporate the ideas of a single other person, and then invalidate it- because you just thought of it.


 

Yes, this all runs on the assumption that the permission of the inventor will not be given, which is a rather large assumption.  It very well might be (it’s done all the time, nowadays).  But in the words of Ayn Rand:

“If, before undertaking some action, you must obtain the permission of society—you are not free, whether such permission is granted to you or not. Only a slave acts on permission.”

 

Now project the number of people whose ideas have birthed the modern computer, battery, et cetera; the number of permissions you must acquire in order to MORALLY PRODUCE ANYTHING AT ALL.

 

In short: stop and think about it.

I feel like this is the kind of hyperbole that doesn’t really advance the discussion. If people have to respect IP rights, how would that cause all production to stop? You say it like it’s obvious, if only we “stop and think about it,” but I mean, we have a (rather imperfect) IP regime right now, and yet production continues. The “modern computer, battery, et cetera” were all invented under an IP regime, and production continues. Why does obtaining the permission of an inventor to use their creation stop me from producing or force me to “flail around in place”… I don’t get it?? You state it, but don’t explain.

 

Also you are quite abusing this AR quote, don’t you think? It’s question begging to assert obtaining permission of an inventor is equal to slavery, as was mentioned before, any assignment of property rights will limit someone’s control over something and therefore force someone to “obtain permission” before appropriating it. If I have a property right in my car, does that mean you’re a slave cause you have to obtain my permission to drive it?

Divided into two parts, part 1 at Don, part 2 at Harrison.

 

Do you disagree on how I described property? Do you disagree about the *reason* I said Theseus would still own the same ship? How does my thought experiment change when you take away the immediately concrete re-building and use a *duplication* instead? Answer any or all of these questions.

I’m repeating this Don because I really want to know. It’s important to anything else a post about here, so it’s important you answer these. If I’ve overlooked something you’ve asked me that you think is really important, then just ask again. You make long posts, so I forget to get back to your questions at times. It happens.

The property of that entire package – one piano and the design of same – is one piano.

Right!! My point of disagreement is what constitutes “one piano”. Do you mean one kind of piano, or literally the particles that make up a piano? We’re not talking about merely some dream piano Franz dreamed up that he hopes someone builds in the future. I made my scenario clear on the fact that Franz not only had a feasible plan of action, he also built the kind of piano. Please go back to my idea about if Theseus’ ship still remains Theseus’ ship - in what sense is it the same ship? I’m saying that the conceptual distinction of an object is the one that counts for intellectual property, but does not necessarily count for the piano object itself. I’m strictly talking about production, not things that have been created already, nor things not possible to create. Producing a design of a piano is a self-sustaining action to the degree the pianos will be made (otherwise it would be equivalent to a squatter - an invalid claim to property anyway), so I find it proper to say and allow that producer to say how the whole process may or may not continue. Of course that isn’t the whole picture, but at the very least I don’t know what you refer to when you say “one piano”. There are several senses of equality: “Franz Brand Piano” and “Ludwig Brand Piano” and even “that green and purple piano with the Franz Brand label which I painted last week, so it is a different piano than it was two weeks ago”.

*

if Wolfgang had taken Franz’ blueprints, added a little detail of his own and THEN built it, does Franz still own it?

Depends how “little”. Did he glue a flowerpot to the piano? If so, then no, nothing essential has changed.

If people have to respect IP rights, how would that cause all production to stop?

Nonconsentual production=theft.  If permission is not given:

 

Yes, this all runs on the assumption that the permission of the inventor will not be given, which is a rather large assumption.

 Then respecting IP means halting all production.  Somewhat hyperbolic, yes, but already addressed.

 

 

The “modern computer, battery, et cetera” were all invented under an IP regime, and production continues.

Because this IP regime puts severe restrictions on such intellectual rights, how they may be used, for how long and for how much (et cetera) and otherwise dilutes them.

 

If you want to build an iPod today, you must obtain one person’s permission: Bill Gates (I think).

If we accept the principle that nonconsentual production=theft and attempt to act on that, consistently, you should obtain the permission of: Bill Gates, Pascal, Colmar, Herman Hollerith, Babbage, and anyone else who contributed to the invention of the iPod.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science

And then begin obtaining permission for the inventors of every material and procedure which is used to create iPods.

 

 

Why does obtaining the permission of an inventor to use their creation stop me from producing or force me to “flail around in place”… I don’t get it?? You state it, but don’t explain.

 Because the principle is that it is immoral to mimick other people; the converse of which is that it is only moral to be original.

Albeit highly exaggerated.  Sorry.

 

What I was getting at was that if a man must act without the use of anyone else’s knowledge or ideas, except his own, he is not likely to last very long.

 

 

Also you are quite abusing this AR quote, don’t you think?

 Not at all.  It was (if I remember correctly) from an essay concerning modern businessmens’ obligation to ask governmental permission before beginning any endeavor; I think it’s equally applicable.

 http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/permission_(vs_rights).html

 

If I have a property right in my car, does that mean you’re a slave cause you have to obtain my permission to drive it?

 Not unless I’m locked inside.

 


 

Franz takes Wolfgang to court and the judge declares that the piano belongs to Franz, because it’s the piano that he built (by conceptual extension).

But much to Franz’ dismay, Steinway walks into the courtroom and declares that he owns all grand pianos- therefore it’s really his.  And Alpheus Babcock’s.  And Henry Pape’s.  And John Broadwood’s.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano

 

Since it’s Franz’ by virtue of its identity then, so too is it everyone else’s prior to Franz, all the way back to the inventor of the first stringed instrument in history- in the same way and for the same reasons.


 

If you were on a camping trip one day and, while you were asleep, I bought all of the land surrounding you and erected electric fences- you might start calling my property rights slavery.  The same goes if one takes IP to its logical conclusion.

Harrison, basically my whole OP says why a claim on “all grand pianos” would be too broad to define as property just as much as owning all of planet earth is too broad a claim.

His brand of piano is distinct. . .

The stance I take is that he owns the coupling of an idea with the corresponding physical goods made from that idea. Keep in mind, since property is what one needs to maintain their existence, and by extension, their flourishing. (I’m skipping a lot of inductive steps, I know, I can’t write a book here.) To be able to define what is actually part of maintaining one’s existence (as related to their personal evaluations and decisions), we need to have a reasonable constraint to its range of application. This way, claims to property can be objectively evaluated. A range of application isn’t as simple as saying a physical boundary. That may apply to a basketball, but not an open cattle range - there is no intrinsic boundary to land. Some degree of value is needed as well, otherwise there would be no need to recognize any existents in a special way with regard to individuals.

We’ve been over land already; you own what you DO with the land and not the land, itself- otherwise I claim the moon.

 

Please define ‘reasonable constraint’ and ‘objective value’ as they would apply to patents and copyrights.  I see nothing here about Franz’ piano which is not also true of grand pianos or simply pianos, as such.

 

If I cultivated neurons in a pitri dish into a functional computing mechanism and attempted to patent it, would it count as a computer or as something new?  If something new then don’t I own all derivative instances of it?

If not then why can’t Wolfgang stick a potted plant onto Franz’ piano?

 

What is the ideal compromise between all such factors?

Have we established that IP is conceptual ownership, as such, and that it would strangle production if applied beyond a tiny subset of a margin of primary concepts, or beyond too much time or too great a degree of ownership?

Please define ‘reasonable constraint’ and ‘objective value’ as they would apply to patents and copyrights.  I see nothing here about Franz’ piano which is not also true of grand pianos or simply pianos, as such.

See the OP for the question on value. See post #20 for my idea of “privileged use”.

First off, I don’t think that self-ownership should be part of the story in explaining property (I also don’t think one owns the information in their head). It’s more sensible to talk about how property is a right to action of one’s body in the first place. If you own your body, then what are you anyway? What would then own *that*? There is an infinite regression that can only be done with integration of mind and body where there is no outside agent that owns either. Homunculism is false, in other words. Since I reject self-ownership as a valid concept, the only story of property that I can tell is about the abstract nature of what I may use according to own will. My relationship to reality is only by means of abstraction as related to perception, lest we live like bears and own a cave by sitting inside. For *sustaining* flourishing, actual goods relating to abstractions are necessary, like a particular house. Whether I own myself does not enter into the equation, nor do the particles/tangibility of something become fundamental characteristics. But at the same time, all that can sustain my flourishing is action in the world. A problem comes in at this point, since I’m only implying that one needs to use the what they produce. But what, in fact, qualifies as being a produced? To stick to the dispute at hand, does a blueprint/patent for a piano qualify as produced in the same sense as you produce a house out of trees that you cut down? If a blueprint/patent is not produced in that same sense, then IP is invalid.

Again, the particles are not what fundamentally make anything unique and having identity. For the standard ship of Theseus question answered in an Aristotelian way, what counts even more are types of causation, or to use Objectivist terms, the measurements retained after abstraction (let’s say at least the important features). Replacing each piece one by one won’t result in not-Theseus’ ship. But in my modified case, does Franz rebuilding his piano out  of the same pieces, does Franz end up with a new piano? Or is it the same piano?

Well if you didn’t agree with self-ownership at all, that’s one thing, but I don’t think it affects much of the rest of the story. I don’t see how it’s more sensible to talk about property as a “right of action of one’s body” as opposed to “self-ownership” since that’s exactly what “self-ownership” refers to. So in that sense, self-ownership is a part of the story about taking action to sustain your well-being, since the concept of action requires you to answer the question “what am I justifiably permitted to do with my own physical body here and now?” Then a Spoonerian account of production can suffice to justify IP. But note that this will be tied into self-ownership. If you appropriate my stuff be it tangible or intangible, then you are appropriating certain actions I have taken (certain expenditures of labor my body has made), and so are coercively intervening in my attempt to sustain my well-being.

 

I don’t think this implies or relies on a homunculus argument or infinite regression at all. Your body is part of what may be referred to as “you” (I am somewhat Lockean on the concept of personhood.) Then who owns that… well you do. That’s what the “self” in self-ownership refers to. There is no infinite regress. The thing doing the owning and the thing being owned are the same. No metaphysical dualism or mind-body dichotomy is implied anymore than saying “you have a right of action of your body.” I mean sure, you could probably conceive of a dualist conception of self-ownership, but couldn’t you also conceive of a (common-sense) non-dualist one?

See the OP for the question on value. See post #20 for my idea of “privileged use”.

 Post #20 essentially says that there must be some limits on the applicable range of patents and copyrights, with several references to the borders of geographically-defined property.  It mentions that there must be some sort of value involved, which I assume to be a reference to objective valuation?

So this is what I gather, sofar:

 

Effort+ Knowledge [obtained- somehow]+ Value+ Constraint [???]= Conceptual ownership

 

Again, physical ownership is effortless because it’s perceptual; one only has to point at it.  But now that we’ve taken that first step into conceptual ownership, suddenly all sorts of restrictions and limitations are necessary for the division of one person’s property from another’s- and these will not be provided automatically.

 

If you propose a restriction on what is patentable (such as grand pianos), you must explain why.

Grand pianos would be overly broad, alright- why?  What defines this scope and why should we make such a distinction?  On what basis?

reason

or how to use it

 

and ,btw ,what is it…?..epistemology?

 

ever hear of any good ones?

If you propose a restriction on what is patentable (such as grand pianos), you must explain why.

Grand pianos would be overly broad, alright- why?  What defines this scope and why should we make such a distinction?  On what basis?

 

 

reason

 

 

or how to use it

 

and ,btw ,what is it…?..epistemology?

 

ever hear of any good ones?

 

I think it’s a mistake to try to sort out specific questions of “too broad” or “too narrow” at this stage in the discussion, when there isn’t yet agreement on more fundamental matters. It would be like fitting a man for a noose before his murder trial. And I don’t see, in any event, how we’ll find anything at the root of the answers we give but people’s whim, though perhaps that’s my bias showing. For if I’m right about IP – as I believe that I am – then the application of IP is bound to be a mess of arbitrariness and rationalizations…

But okay. Let’s indulge for a moment, since “reason” is such a thoughtful reply to Harrison’s question, and see whether reason holds that “the piano” should be patentable, as such, or whether that’s “too broad,” as often claimed.

Hmm…

Do we think, when the “piano” was first invented, that it was immediately understood to be the herald of some new, broad categorical type of instrument, such that a patent over “pianos” would be judged “too broad” and disallowed? Or is it likelier to have been considered some “specific” instance or development of previous musical instruments?

Let’s look at Wikipedia on “the piano” (under History):

 

The piano was founded on earlier technological innovations. The first string instruments with struck strings were the hammered dulcimers. During the Middle Ages, there were several attempts at creating stringed keyboard instruments with struck strings. By the 17th century, the mechanisms of keyboard instruments such as the clavichord and the harpsichord were well known. In a clavichord the strings are struck by tangents, while in a harpsichord they are plucked by quills. Centuries of work on the mechanism of the harpsichord in particular had shown the most effective ways to construct the case, soundboard, bridge, and keyboard for a mechanism intended to hammer strings.

The invention of the modern piano is credited to Bartolomeo Cristofori (1655–1731) of Padua, Italy, who was employed by Ferdinando de’ Medici, Grand Prince of Tuscany, as the Keeper of the Instruments. He was an expert harpsichord maker, and was well acquainted with the body of knowledge on stringed keyboard instruments. It is not known exactly when Cristofori first built a piano. An inventory made by his employers, the Medici family, indicates the existence of a piano by the year 1700; another document of doubtful authenticity indicates a date of 1698. The three Cristofori pianos that survive today date from the 1720s.

While the clavichord allowed expressive control of volume and sustain, it was too quiet for large performances. The harpsichord produced a sufficiently loud sound, but had little expressive control over each note. The piano was likely formed as an attempt to combine loudness with control, avoiding the trade-offs of available instruments.

 

All right. So, armed with this knowledge, what seems likeliest “in reason”? That “the piano” stood immediately as some broad category of new instrument, such that it couldn’t be patented, as such? Or regarded as an incremental improvement upon earlier technologies – a specific blend of harpsichord and clavichord – and fully patentable? Why shouldn’t Cristofori own “the piano”?

Interesting to note, too, that the article picks up later, saying of the spread of the piano:

 

Cristofori’s new instrument remained relatively unknown until an Italian writer, Scipione Maffei, wrote an enthusiastic article about it in 1711, including a diagram of the mechanism. This article was widely distributed, and most of the next generation of piano builders started their work due to reading it. One of these builders was Gottfried Silbermann, better known as an organ builder. Silbermann’s pianos were virtually direct copies of Cristofori’s, with one important addition: Silbermann invented the forerunner of the modern damper pedal, which lifts all the dampers from the strings simultaneously.

 

It’s too much for me to try to sort through all of this right now, and especially when doubtless there are many hidden details to the actual history, but I think it’s interesting (and potentially illuminating) to compare this abbreviated tale to the discussions we’ve had about blueprints, reverse engineering, and so forth. I think it’s at least conceivable, given certain proposed IP schemes and arguments, that we could regard the above as some great injustice. A big mess of “copycatting” and parasitism. (In fact, maybe even the invention of the piano itself was a parasitical act, as Cristofori “stole” so many ideas and innovations from his forebears.)

It is amusing to me to think that with some stricter (and maybe more… consistent?) application of IP, the piano itself might have died some obscure death, or maybe never have been invented at all, just as Nosferatu apparently should have burned at the stake completely.  If Ayn Rand argued that too much IP would throttle production, as I maintain that she did, perhaps we may still yet manage it!

1 Like

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=25747&hl=

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=26425&hl=

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=16105&hl=

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=25232&hl=

. . . . .

 

Franz invents a new type of piano.  Wolfgang sees this design and duplicates it, without permission.

Objectively, Wolfgang should acknowledge the role Franz played in the creation of his piano- because:

 

To pretend that the original Franz brand piano was irrelevant to that act of production, would be evasive; it would cause a disconnect between Wolfgang’s mind and the facts of reality.  Since Wolfgang’s mind is his primary tool of survival, to evade the truth (about anything) is an act of self-destruction.

And since acting in any way which contradicts one’s beliefs is also immoral (the purpose of knowledge is action), Wolfgang must admit that his piano was inspired by Franz design.

It is the only moral course of action.

 

However, if Wolfgang does not have the right to build such pianos without permission, then Franz cannot have the right to build on any earlier designs without permission.

That is the only just way to implement conceptual property.

 

And if conceptual property cannot be used without its owner’s consent then this discussion, itself, is immoral; we’re using all sorts of concepts that other people invented, without their express permission.

 

If an innovator has the right to dispose of those concepts he creates, then none of us have the right to act accordingly.

 

If IP is moral then in order to respect it, you cannot obey it.

Patents (IP) do not exclude persons from conceptualization, or from speaking. 

 

 

Concepts per se cannot and are not the subject of intellectual property rights.

 

 

Thinking, feeling, imagining, conceptualizing, as such never were and simply are not part of the discussion of IP.

 

 

You are getting way off track here.

The thought experiment is even pretty specific that the topic of discussion isn’t a right to concepts. Or concepts as property. I wrote the thought experiment so I didn’t need to repeat what IP refers to for every other post. See post #51.

The thought experiment is even pretty specific that the topic of discussion isn’t a right to concepts. Or concepts as property. I wrote the thought experiment so I didn’t need to repeat what IP refers to for every other post. See post #51.

 

Your thought experiment does not speak to the actual issues of intellectual property.  The question of IP is not whether Theseus owns his ship, even if he replaces it bit by bit over time or what-have-you, but whether he owns the ships other people build on account of their ships being “similar.”  These are two separate discussions.

 

Patents (IP) do not exclude persons from conceptualization, or from speaking. 

 

 

Concepts per se cannot and are not the subject of intellectual property rights.

 

 

Thinking, feeling, imagining, conceptualizing, as such never were and simply are not part of the discussion of IP.

 

 

You are getting way off track here.

 

My claim that concepts are the subject of IP does not mean that I believe IP excludes people from conceptualizing or speaking, or thinking, feeling, etc.  Property rights are a person’s right to life translated into material and into action for the purpose of living, flourishing, etc.  If a person is able to “conceptualize” a certain kind of ship, but disallowed to build it (because it is deemed “too similar” to someone else’s), then that concept is owned for every practical purpose.

Your thought experiment does not speak to the actual issues of intellectual property.  The question of IP is not whether Theseus owns his ship, even if he replaces it bit by bit over time or what-have-you, but whether he owns the ships other people build on account of their ships being “similar.”  These are two separate discussions.

I don’t see why it isn’t. IP isn’t (shouldn’t be) about similarity. For the record, I don’t think IP would translate to owning the ship itself, at least I don’t think that anymore. Either way, you can use the thought experiment, including to prove points you may have. Further, the Ship of Theseus inspired my idea - it isn’t the thought experiment. If you call IP one thing with different referents than me, we’re talking about totally different things. I am against IP being at root similarity; it’s a weak and invalid foundation. That doesn’t mean IP is in principle wrong, only that there is a bad standard. Sort of how I could demolish Kantian morality, but it doesn’t invalidate morality (this is the frozen abstraction fallacy). I don’t mean it is the same, it’s just I don’t follow really what your point is.

 And I don’t see, in any event, how we’ll find anything at the root of the answers we give but people’s whim, though perhaps that’s my bias showing. For if I’m right about IP – as I believe that I am – then the application of IP is bound to be a mess of arbitrariness and rationalizations…

 

Arbitrariness and rationalizations are necessary because ideas (and concepts) are not subject to the same limitations with physical objects.

 

Great lengths must be gone to establish that theft is possible when nothing actually is lost.

I don’t see why it isn’t.

All right. It’s been a while, and I don’t believe I ever addressed your OP due to overwhelming frustration at the time. Let’s take this from the top.

 

Franz has a specific blueprint to build pianos, which are special kinds of pianos with building specifications that Franz developed after figuring out new techniques to bring out important acoustic qualities. His brand of piano is distinct. Right now, he has only built one piano – he needs investors first. Recently, he took the piano apart and will rebuild it, to make sure his blueprints were perfect. The pieces are organized on the floor, and Franz can rebuild it with his blueprints. He goes piece by piece, until it is complete.

Does Franz own the piano?

Sure.

 

This part so far is deliberately simple. I would bet most people say yes, Franz owns the piano. The reasons, though, may vary. As I said, I don’t think it’s just because he owns the individual pieces.

On that subject, let’s briefly pause.

Suppose Franz had not yet designed his piano or his blueprint. Suppose that he had simply purchased the material as he struggles to come up with a design, and now that material is on the floor in similar fashion to your proposal. Is that material any less Franz’s, in terms of ownership, for not yet having been collated into a particular piano design?

Does he not, even at such a stage, already have complete ownership of those materials?

 

The stance I take is that he owns the coupling of an idea with the corresponding physical goods made from that idea. Keep in mind, since property is what one needs to maintain their existence, and by extension, their flourishing. (I’m skipping a lot of inductive steps, I know, I can’t write a book here.) To be able to define what is actually part of maintaining one’s existence (as related to their personal evaluations and decisions), we need to have a reasonable constraint to its range of application. This way, claims to property can be objectively evaluated. A range of application isn’t as simple as saying a physical boundary. That may apply to a basketball, but not an open cattle range - there is no intrinsic boundary to land. Some degree of value is needed as well, otherwise there would be no need to recognize any existents in a special way with regard to individuals.

I believe that land is a special category of property at least. If we are dealing in pianos and ships and basketballs, and if something “as simple as saying a physical boundary” applies well enough to them, then let’s deal on that level unless we have some good reason not to. If we were discussing engineering a roller coaster, after all, there would be no need to begin our discussion with quantum mechanics – would there?

 

I would argue that the pieces are of no value to Franz anyway, and the value only comes from the fact he knows how to build his brand of piano. Although I’m sure Franz can build other styles of piano that are very old, the pieces are for making a Franz brand piano. So, you couldn’t say “the pieces have infinite uses, why focus on a piano brand?” Building a treehouse is not his intention. In this sense, his pieces are only of value because of what he wants to create. Franz could sell the parts for a price, but since no intrinsic monetary value of goods exist, I can say that relative to him, there is no monetary value. The value is in the potential piano, similar to how value of farmland is potential crops. No actual piano exists, so what I’m getting at is that the property in question is intellectual in nature, not merely concrete existents.

Let’s be careful here. First of all, I need to clarify (because this is very often at the root of my critique of your approach to IP) that your assertion here – “what I’m getting at is that the property in question is intellectual in nature” – does not mean that you are necessarily addressing yourself to IP, despite your use of the word “intellectual,” and even if this use of the term is accurate.

There is a difference between a standard theory of property and a theory of intellectual property. Which is not to say that there can’t be some “grand unifying theory,” which… I think is what you’re after? But at minimum, a theory of IP (and even such a grand unifying theory) would have to be able to address those things that IP actually does/has done in the world, namely patents, copyrights and trademarks. (If it does not, then we are not discussing IP at all.)

So even if you’re right in your approach to standard property, in that there is this “intellectual” component to it, that does not serve to justify what we mean in the world when we discuss IP; IP still requires its own justification.

As regards the content here, in terms of property I think we recognize that Franz owns these materials independent of his purported intentions for them. Whether he values them for their own sake, or only for some specific design, is another matter. (And “monetary value” is yet another thing altogether, and I would argue a needless complication.) I’d agree with you that people typically value materials, as such, because we recognize that they have some eventual, potential application… but I don’t think we necessarily need to know whether some specific material is slotted for a piano or for a treehouse or for anything at all, for those to fall under the umbrella of “property rights.”

After all, if you had a warehouse filled with material – material for which you had not yet found a particular use, but were preserving against future discovery/need – I doubt that you would be comfortable with my ransacking your warehouse, because I had judged my own need for that material more important or more immediate than yours, because I would like to use it to build a piano, for which I have a design ready. Or if that’s deemed allowable under your theory of property rights, then I’m not certain it is a recognizable theory of property rights at all.

 

Let’s modify this a little bit. Suppose Wolfgang saw Franz’s blueprints, and Franz said nothing special to Wolfgang about building a piano. Unbeknownst to Franz, Wolfgang acquires the necessary pieces to build the piano. Later on, Franz visits his friend Wolfgang’s house after hearing beautiful piano music. When he greeted Wolfgang and saw the piano, he realized it was his own piano that he designed! Franz finds this to be unjust and even as theft, because it was his design and creation.

Should Franz have the right to bring Wolfgang to court if he so chooses?

I’m a little hesitant about responding to your question as phrased. Should Franz have the right to bring Wolfgang to court if he so chooses? Don’t we generally have the right to bring people to court for any manner of reason – injuries real or imagined?

The real question is whether Wolfgang has committed some crime against Franz. Now how I would normally try to assess such a thing is to ask whether Wolfgang has in some fashion initiated the use of force against Franz, because that’s what I hold to be criminal. Leaving aside the question begging I might expect from others (i.e. the response that “he *must* have initiated the use of force, because he violated intellectual property rights!”), let’s ask ourselves what it means to initiate force against a person – what it looks like, what it means, and how we respond to it.

Because, look: if we can establish that Wolfgang is now employing physical force against Franz, then you and I will be finally agreed on the basis for IP.

 

In the earlier case, if Wolfgang took a finished piano or even the piano pieces without permission, that is a clear case of theft, and should be taken to court.

Yes. It’s a criminal matter, and Wolfgang should be processed through the criminal justice system in such a case (which might mean going to prison).

 

But where does the difference come in with Wolfgang creating a piano with his own materials?

I would argue that the difference is such that he has committed no crime. Let’s return here to the question of the initiation of physical force.

Things are what they are – are we agreed? If I initiate physical force against you, then it doesn’t matter whether you’re aware of my having done so or not – I have committed that crime.

But how do we recognize the initiation of physical force, or any crime, to begin with? Let’s consider Wolfgang.

You have him building a piano of his own materials in his own home by virtue of the design he learned from seeing Franz’s blueprints, yes? And then you have Franz discovering the fact when visiting Wolfgang’s home, leading to court. But let us note, that moment of discovery is not when the crime was committed.

In theory (and specifically what I take to be the theory of IP you would lay out), Wolfgang has initiated the use of physical force against Franz at the moment he has built his piano.

Now please, in the name of your at least understanding my position on this matter, I would like for you to give that scenario some substantial thought.

We do not have to further suppose that Franz visits Wolfgang’s house and sees the piano. That would not change the supposed criminal nature of the deed in question. Franz would not ever need to know that “he has been harmed.”

But has he been harmed? In truth? In reality?

We can recognize the harm when Wolfgang takes Franz’s physical, actual piano from him, such that Franz is left bereft of his piano. We understand how and why Franz might defend himself physically against such an ordeal, or failing that, use some third party to use retributive force in response, in the name of justice. It is clear to see that Franz is injured from such an action, which is why we would act to prevent it from happening, or in retribution.

But how do we account it the same kind of thing when Wolfgang is ensconced in his home playing music on a piano he has built, apparently injuring no one, and possibly without anyone else’s knowledge? How is that harm at all?

 

An easy answer is to say that the two pianos are not exactly the same, so inventing a type of piano does not imply owning pianos that Wolfgang (or anyone else) creates. People own what they make, and it follows that what they make is their property, fitting all the standards I mentioned earlier with constraint to range of application.

My answer is that there is no difference, except perhaps what the property in question is. The easy answer I find to be too materialistic by ignoring the very means and person that enabled Wolfgang to build the piano.

Another caution: “materialism,” so far as I understand it, is a theory that denies consciousness – a theory to which I do not subscribe. The position that property has to do with material is not an advocacy of “materialism,” unless the very claim that material is something which exists – that things are made of material, and are recognizable (as a piano, or a basketball, or etc.) – is somehow considered suspect.

In specific, I’m not “ignoring” the means by which Wolfgang has built his piano. But I would argue that you might be doing that very thing, if you are arguing in similar pattern to what I’ve found typical of the proponents of IP.

Contra “materialism,” both Franz and Wolfgang have a consciousness. Wolfgang has learned of the idea of the piano through Franz, but his consciousness has also grasped that idea. And furthermore, he has translated that idea into reality, which is the basis of property rights. The object of that translation, the idea made manifest – the piano, which is material – is what is property.

Wolfgang is not somehow using Franz’s mind to build this piano; he is using his own.

 

Franz did a lot of research, then took time to develop the specific piano design. He had to figure which wood to use, how to bend the wood, how to set up the curves, etc. The whole value of the piano is in every case dependent upon what Franz developed.

No. The value of the specific piano that Wolfgang has built is immediately dependent on two things: 1) Wolfgang choosing to adhere to the design he learned from Franz’s blueprints/research (for he could have altered them, either intentionally or accidentally); and 2) Wolfgang’s having built the piano in reality. If Wolfgang does not accomplish step two, then there is no piano to speak of, and no material value.

 

Other people even find value in the piano. To the extent that the design is useful to many people, not just the piano itself, there is reason to say Franz should have the right to control the design in any manner he chooses – who can use it, how he wants to profit from it.

Of what use is a piano design, except in the construction of one or more actual pianos?

But the rest of this is just a reassertion of your premise, I believe. I agree that I may design a piano, and others may find value in that design and opt to purchase a piano or build their own, but I disagree that there’s any necessary “therefore, I should be able to tell them that they can’t do it.”

I disagree that building a piano or a type of piano (with all of the requisite research granted) gives me reason or right to control “the design,” which actually means to control the actions of others, even should those actions cause no injury to myself.

If anything, the usefulness and value to multiple people makes a design worth recognizing as property, especially since Franz designed it for the reasons anyone would create or seek property. The value a variety of people hold towards the piano is indicative that at least some people find the piano design a contributor to flourishing, even for Franz. In ethical terms, this means Franz has a right to his designs and what people may make from those designs, or to shorten the phrase down, intellectual property.

I disagree. I find an implicit premise to all of this that “whatever contributes to flourishing” is therefore property (or a similar thought, though I’m sure you’d want other language to express it, if you’d even agree that this underlies your position). We give away “value” and contribute to the flourishing of others all the time without some resulting claim in property.

To use an example that I’ve employed before, imagine that I smile at a pretty girl as I pass her on the street. My smile may well inspire her to do something great – I have a killer smile. I think in terms of reality, we may speak of this as being a “contributor to flourishing.” What we do, even down to something so apparently small as a smile, matters. But I have no property stake (in reason or in law) in what she does thereafter, even if she cites me as her muse and accounts her entire product to our chance meeting. Even if she is, in some sense, right.

Ethically? We could perhaps talk about her recognizing the relationship that my choice to smile at her has had to her resultant fame and fortune. Perhaps it would be nice of her to invite me over for a spot of tea. But I do not own what she does, even on the basis of the inspiration I have provided. The property that she creates is directly a product of her mind and her physical labor, and that forms the basis for property. Her property.

1 Like