However, the star trek society is very confusing. I don’t know where star fleet gets the money to fund their operations. Also, are Vulcans objectivists? Their motto is: live long and prosper.
They don’t get the money. Star Trek has stated many times that money was abolished a long time ago. This is mainly said by Picard in The Next Generation, but I am sure he gave a timeline for the abolishment of money that predates The Original Series.
As for Vulcans, they are socialists as has already been stated. And the Federation are communists. Although in saying that the new movie does have some Nokia product placement, and one reason the Federation seemed communists before hand was the way the government seemed to provide and control everything with no private companies. Nokia product placement seems to change that.
The fact that the ship is called the enterprise shows that the writers didn’t understand politics and history.
Do you mean the writers of the original canon or the new movie? Because the latter had to stick with the name Enterprise; they couldn’t go and change the name of the ship.
I could not see Shatner’s Kirk in the Kirk actor. He wasn’t necessarily bad, but he didn’t capture me the way Shatner does.
Thatis because the actor intentionally went away from Shatner’s Kirk and tried to bring a bit of Han Solo into Kirk.
The fight scenes seemed simply too one-dimensional and predictable.
I don’t think they were all that predictable. I saw none of the unarmed combat prowess I have come to expect from Kirk.
I kinda have to wonder why a ship of that size would be built in on the ground? wouldn’t it be built in orbit? or on the moon? I guess with the kind of energy output they are capable of it might not matter but still.
They were conastructed in massive spacestations orbiting Earth in other series and movies. Even the Enterprise NX-01 was built in such a station, though one much smaller than seen in other Star Treks. Because of this I was surprised to see the Enterprise being built on Earth.
In the Search for Spock, the sequel to TWoK, this statement is turned on its head, “The needs of the many are outweighed by the needs of the few, or the one.”
Yes, but that was kirk not Spock and he said only “sometimes.”
Whereas Spock may have become more individualistic towards the end of his life (as he is when he meets his younger self), the philosophy of the culture itself remains one of selflesness for the greater good of the whole.
Voyager’s Tuvok certainly suggests that the culture hasn’t changed in that regard by then even if Spock has.
Personally I loved this new film and the way it changed Star Trek while staying true to what made Star trek so great, ie, its theme of hope and optimism towards the future and techology. Star Trek has always had technology improving people’s life as a main part of it.
That is not to say I liked every change they made. However, the changes I disliked were small enough not to change my overall opinion of the film.