The solution lies in companies taking more responsibilty for their products - realizing their long term effects on society, which in the end come back at them when they got a nation of senseless gorping fools trying to decide which logo will keep’em happy rather than actually trying to do something worthwhile with their lives.
Yet nowhere is this scenario more possible than in a capitalist system!
For example:
If my company were to market a product that a private testing organiztion, such as Underwriter’s Laboratories, found to be unsafe, I would have the ominous choice of fighting such decision AND my company failing due to competitive pressure, OR I can right such wrong AND put out a safer, higher quality product.
Therefore, given the two scenarios of 1)my competitors putting out better products and/or 2)A third party giving me bad press due to my product being slipshod, my company is either going to take such responsibility for my products or perish in a maelstrom of bad publicity and courtroom litigation.
All of this is very possible in a capitalist system without the need for government regulation.
Charles wrote:
What would the products be like in a world where people were self-aware enough to know that gorging yourself on alcohol, fags and colesterol is not conducive to living, where people were self-respecting enough to not waste away their lives in front of a tv screen? - That world isnt here, and the opposite is being encouraged - cos it turns a quick profit.
Charles, you are assuming that individuals are devoid of choice, operate by emotion rather than reason, and cannot think beyond their sensory level of enjoyment of life.
Just like the Government does when they regulate products the way they do.
Granted, there exist those who are content to gorge themselves on alcohol, cigarettes, and cholesterol and sit in front of television sets and whine about Oprah and the like.
But please ask yourself- what is the responsibility of the corporation towards such an individual and his chosen lifestyle?
Examples:
If in my watching TV, I get electrocuted (and survive) for watching a TV due to a defect in such TV, the TV manufacturer is at fault.
But now I decide to smoke cigarettes, knowing full well that smoking may be hazardous to my health. I can make the choice NOT to smoke.
I can also choose to make my own sandwiches rather than eat the nutrition-poor, Cholesterol rich food McDonald’s sells. Or I can eat McDonalds in wsuch a manner as nOT to affect my health adversely.
Your argument is weakened by the fact that humans can make choices and take responsibility for their own welfare.