On 6/29/2004 at 5:41 PM, SMS said:
I read The Fountainhead way back in 1996 when I was far too young to understand it. I read Atlas Shrugged last year and was hooked. I re-read The Fountainhead after that but I just couldn’t enjoy it as much as I had Atlas Shrugged. Is my evalutaion of The Fountainhead incorrect? Or is it just the fact that it was, in Miss Rand’s words, an overture to Atlas Shrugged, that keeps me from enjoying it as much?
Atlas Shrugged vs The Fountainhead: read The Fountainhead first, and no, your evaluation is not incorrect. You are comparing them in the order that flattens The Fountainhead, because Atlas already answered the questions The Fountainhead only raises. The letdown is loss of novelty, not loss of quality.
They are not two versions of the same book. Rand’s stated themes are different:
- The Fountainhead: “individualism versus collectivism, not in politics, but in man’s soul.” One man, one profession, one conflict, carried by character.
- Atlas Shrugged: “the role of the mind in man’s existence,” with the morality of rational self-interest as its corollary (Journals of Ayn Rand, 1997). A whole civilization, carried by plot and by explicit philosophy.
The practical contrast, for anyone deciding which to read first:
- Length: about 700 pages vs about 1,100.
- Philosophy: dramatized in Roark’s actions and one courtroom speech vs stated outright in Galt’s roughly 60-page speech.
- Scope: personal integrity vs the sanction of the victim and a strike of the mind.
- Read The Fountainhead first if you want a novel that stands on its own. Read Atlas Shrugged first if you came for the philosophy and want the full system in one book.
On the reread, stop treating The Fountainhead as an early draft of Objectivism and read it as what it actually is: a study of second-handedness. Keating and Toohey are the most carefully constructed characters Rand ever wrote, and Atlas has no replacement for either of them. Rand does not need Roark to explain the theme, because Keating demonstrates it by failing.
I started this forum in 2003, and this is the single most common question we get from new readers. The short version: order changes the experience, not the ranking.
Related threads: a close reading of The Fountainhead’s themes and the best one-liners in Atlas Shrugged.