The actions that men take are objective facts.
OK. When men take various actions, they really do take those actions. It’s hard to disagree with you there.
However, I’m not sure what argument has this premise as a precondition. Also, I do not know of an argument that claims that the actions people take don’t really happen and/or are not objective facts. So, I’m not sure why this is being stated.
The reasons they state for taking certain actions are on record, . . .
There have been some people who have acted in certain ways, and have then explained themselves, and sometimes those reasons are written into history, providing a record of their explanations?
. . . the consequences are a matter of history.
The consequences of people’s actions in the past could be a matter of history, if they have been evaluated as significant enough to include in any given historians history. If this is what you were intending to say?
There are normative values and de facto values.
There are normative values? Are there non-normative values?
What are “de facto” values? I assume you are not contrasting “de facto” here with “de jure,” because that does not really clarify what you are saying.
If we use a loose definition for value such as the “object of man’s action,” you are asserting there are “de facto” objects of man’s actions? As opposed to what?
I really don’t understand what you are trying to claim here, and the contrast seems a little dubious between “normative” values and “de facto” values?
Are you trying to say there are cultural norms which direct some peoples behavior? I.e., something like the idea of “cultural mores”?
If you are then what is a “de facto” value in that context?
The various false ethical theories still have de facto values, . . .
What makes a false ethical theory as opposed to a true ethical theory?
By what standard is any given “theory” included into the class “ethical” as opposed to non-ethical?
Further, I still don’t understand what object is supposed to be distinguished by the concept of “def facto” value. Please define this term.
. . . and it is on the basis of their causal relationship to the values they actually achieve that they are classified as ethical theories.
It is on the basis of [false ethical theories] causal relationship to the values they actually achieve that they are classified as ethical theories.
How does this work? Could you please provide some examples?
* * *
I asked for no more floating abstractions, no more generalities without content, no more assertions without examples, and you have given us a bunch more assertions without examples, generalities without content etc.
Can you or anyone demonstrate how Kant’s so-called “ethical theory” qualifies as an “ethical” theory? Can anyone here do it? Anyone?
I have been stating some of the so-called “ethical theories” which are given in the history of philosophy do not qualify as ethics at all. E.g., Kant’s “theory” is one such example. What I have stated is that I do not believe that what we are told is an “ethical theory” of Kant does not qualify as an ethics, under any valid definition of ethics.
(Note: I chose Kant’s theory because it is so bizarre, well known, and short in length. Also, I do not believe it is really an ethical system using any valid definition of ethics.)
Therefore, what “philosophers” have seemingly done is to steal a valid concept of “ethics” and turn it into a meaningless, elastic, floating term so they can cram some of these “theories” like Kant’s in to ethics.
Amusingly, so far, some of the people here have been arguing that we keep it that way, and never question what it is we place under the concept of ethics.
“Ethics” is apparently what prominent philosophers and authors say it is, and/or whatever has been called “ethics” in the past.
Can you or anyone demonstrate how Kant’s so-called “ethical theory” qualifies as an “ethical” theory? What attributes does Kant’s so-called ethical theory have that qualifies it as an “ethics”?
Does Kant state why man needs ethics at all? Does Kant define value? Does Kant have a standard of value? Does Kant provide a “code” of values? Are these necessary conditions for a given “theory” to qualify as an ethics?
Kant proposes a mechanism (the categorical imperative") which he claims is supposed to be used to guide man’s choices and actions.
Is this enough? Is an ethics any proposal which asserts a method to guide men’s choices and actions?