First a quick introduction, i’m new here (and somewhat new to Objectivism) so I may not understand everything perfectly, feel free to correct me where i’m wrong. I consider reading Atlas Shrugged a few months back to be a life changing event in how it’s started to change all of my thinking about nearly everything, there are just a few sticking points. I’ll list most of them in one topic for now, since they may not even need in depth debating or argument, since i’m not out to prove anything, I don’t hold any feelings too strongly or dogmatically since I view my beliefs as a process unfolding based upon information that changes the playing field. I just want to find the truth. It’s just things that i’ve noticed so far.
This isn’t so much arguments against Objectivism (in the sense that arguing something else is superior) but rather problems i’ve encountered that I don’t see it having any easy answers to, or at least that i’ve found so far.
SOME OF MY PROBLEMS WITH OBJECTIVISM:
The biggest problem is that it strikes me as utopian. By utopian I mean “requires people to be better than they’ve ever been before.” What Rand seems to describe is a world without any kind of regulation or interference in “free contract” of any kind and motivated exclusively by selfishness. I have doubts whether such a society would actually survive multigenerationally. A few examples:
-
The only way to enforce Objectivist rules is basically with a total police state. The state would have to have absolute dominant power over every potential threatening force against either the state itself or the individuals within the state. Such a position of domination in the past has led to corruption 100% of the time. I see no alternative except a police state to enforce Objectivist rules of interaction, because any other society would break down if the economic differences were too profound, even if for “fair” and “moral” reasons. A police state would eventually feed on it’s own people, it would not lovingly and honorably protect them from the hostiles outside - it would simply become the hostile itself, at least over time. If you don’t have a police state, then it’s simply a question of might makes right - if the mob ever gets well armed or organized, or intelligent while remaining socialistic, they will probably win. I have my doubts whether supermen like John Galt who have unilateral technological domination over the unwashed masses exist in the real world, and if they did they wouldn’t need anyone for anything anyways. I don’t see high technology normally developed by the mobs, but even if you look in the nightmare of soviet russia you see some damn clever engineering for certain things. (even if it was not “moral” to have public ownership of the mind as such) What I guess i’m saying is that I see the rules of survival to be irrelevant of “morality”, Randian or otherwise.
-
Ive seen hubris in many Objectivist debaters when i’ve observed discussions as a third party. They seem to immediately accuse anyone who doesnt agree with them as being both illogical and immoral. I’m not saying that Rand didn’t make appropriate judgements about why the self shouldn’t be a sacrificial lamb to others, but i’ve seen people read the book and be “empowered” in their own seeming illogic, as if they have been given permission to judge for themself and then show others how bad their judgement really is. What i’m saying is that the worship of Mind and Logic doesn’t seem to make one free from mental illness, even if it is preferable or perhaps less risky than the worship of emotional extremes and religious or social dictates. I agree with granting moral sanction that only you can judge whether something is true to you, but I still have seen some delusional idiots who claim to be objectivists and become completely impenetrable and wont hear ANY argument from anyone because they’re sure everyone is stupid and evil when it’s probably the other way around.
-
If Objectivist thought was really all cut and dried I dont see why there would be any split between different camps of Objectivists. (my understanding is there is a split between Peikoff and Rand) I see dogmatically sticking to one argument and refusing new data due to both sides claiming logical and moral perfection to be an example of the exact behavior I thought was trying to be avoided and argued against.
-
I see the origin of Objectivism to be a knee jerk response to a society with an over-abuse of ideas like guilt, religiously dictated morality (without explanation), socially dictated morality and culture (without personal input) intended to make the individual a slave to others. I don’t know that I believe it is the most effective way for either individuals or a community to survive however. For instance, if you have a society that is exclusively protected by mercenaries (which is all the police and military can be in an Objectivist selfishness and money driven society) I don’t see what prevents the mercenaries from simply turning against you because they have no higher moral order to care about. I don’t see a mercenary dying for some ideal. Whereas one that is dedicated to some collectively shared ideal that people actually believe in, even if that ideal is false or engineered like “Jesus” or “the seventh generation”, would refrain from predatory behavior on their own people, likely engage in sacrifical lamb behavior (Even if morally wrong) and likely guarantee survival of the group alot better.
What I see in Rand is observations of technological determinism, and that positive motivation (Henry Ford paying his workers well) works better than negative motivation (Stalin threatening to send you to the gulag if you dont come up with a better jet intake design this month) for making the Mind produce, but i’m not sure whether I agree that strict capitalism would give the best results in terms of say total social technological progress rather than some mix. (and for the record I don’t like saying that, it would be easier if the weight of evidence were overwhelming or everything was cut and dried)
Some examples of “free market transactions” that as far as I could tell are either permissable or turn Objectivism into something else:
-
An unscrupulous man decides he wants to rent out his children for sex. There are willing pedophile buyers. Or lets say a man has collected human slaves from some more primitive culture, and there are willing plantation buyers. Under Objectivism it seems this is just a free market transaction and is morally okay since morality seems redefined in economic terms to mean only that which benefits you. If it’s not, and someone should stop it, who is it that would stop it, the state? Even if it does stop it, the state would have to have alot of power to start meddling in others lives.
-
A man operating a nuclear waste disposal company engages in a contract with a nuclear power plant to get rid of their waste. He simply ships it 5000 miles away and dumps it in the aquifer of some native tribe and some local forest, because he bought the land and dug a deep well. This seems to be morally okay because it is a free contract between two individuals, right? Afterall it seems that the opinions of the potential stakeholders (those affected by a decision) are irrelevant, and simply dumping it “away from here” is alot cheaper and simpler than trying to vitrify it and bury it into a mountain where it wont hurt anyone, so the cheaper solution is chosen.
This isn’t an attempt to blackwash Objectivism by making some outrageous association, I used those outrageous rhetorical examples to attack the premise that capitalism will solve all of our problems which seems to be implied or stated much of the time. The responses seem to be either 1) dont view it as a problem (who cares?), 2) agree it’s a problem but argue who will be enslaved either directly to work or whose taxes will be confiscated to pay for a free market individual to work to solve that problem and decide nothing should be done, 3) use regulation to prevent certain things from occuring in the first place or make it unprofitable to act unsustainably.
I give these examples freely stating I don’t know what the right answer is btw. If you say something is a “right” then you need a global police force to insure everyone has that right, which has to be funded, which either comes voluntarily or from taxes. Even if you dont enter into “morality” and simply enforce economic and legal contracts, you are still stating there are certain rights, you are regulating at least the performance under contract or the noninterference of third parties in a contract between two people. (such as the pedophile buying a child whore from the father above, with a third party initiating violence against the father because they find it immoral and the police state would have to respond with extreme violence since they arent a part of that contract) I see Rand make certain observations that are accurate, and certain arguments which are sound, but i’m not sure I agree with her end conclusions or that the conclusions necessarily follow from the arguments.
Anyone care to comment? ![]()