I don’t live in America and I’ve met only a handful of Americans over my life, but my impression is highly favorable (but this is based on meeting American travelers and Americans on the internet, a biased sample).
Yet, I so frequently run into people who tell me Americans are “narrow-minded”, “close minded”, “clueless” etc. As far as getting the person to explain to me what they mean, an explanation will usually consist of American’s not being able to tell you something like what the capital of Turkey, where France is, that they are stupid, only concerned with themselves and their own country.
I don’t get this and I don’t like it at all. In my own country and every other country I’ve traveled to there are loads of uneducated, bigoted and clueless people. I hate that it’s said with this air of superiority and that they are generalizing it to most Americans… as if our country and it’s people are somehow better.
So why is it that Americans are always singled out? Why is it so fashionable to attack them? Is there some element of truth to these attacks?
Has anyone else experienced this attitude?