I’m not ignoring it, I’m saying that this presumption hasn’t been established. The person may well think that Jones stole his stuff; but I haven’t see that evidence.
There you go again. We are not trying Jones here, we are arguing whether he, alone, is capable of objectively knowing that he was stolen, and who did it. And if so, whether he has a right to rectify the situation by force.
All of your considerations are 100% valid when subsequently Jones is put on trial for his act of force (which I think he should be, though I also think he should be absolved if he can prove he acted legitimately).
At the risk of introducing a personal observation, I think your legal knowlege may be getting in the way of seeing the fundamentals here.
And presumably you would deny that “A government is the means of placing the retaliatory use of physical force under objective control”, thus no objective control of force is required
No, I am not arguing that. Quite the contrary, I am discussing whether if an individual is found to have used force objectively by this very same government he should be treated as a criminal.
Here’s the best reply I’ve heard to Roy Childs’ dispute about force not being left to the discretion of individuals
This quote from the Epistemological Anarchy article is excelent, it makes the problem that bothers me evident! Here we go:
Morally, a man has the right to retaliate against those who initiate force. In fact, as Ayn Rand pointed out, assuming he is able to do so, retaliation is a moral imperative. Refusing to retaliate against an aggressor is to sanction his aggression – and to welcome more of it.
So the individual has a right to retaliate. Note that this is primary, and that it assumes (correctly) that an individual is capable of objectively using force - though obviously it is not guaranteed that he will do so.
Yet, if he is living in a society of other men, it is not enough that an individual determine in his own mind that his use of force is retaliatory.
“Enough” for what? It is certainly enough
for him
, since truth does not come from consensus or from government decree. And this is the huge issue being evaded here. It is possible for the individual to know, with absolute certainty, that a crime has been commited against him, and to retaliate objectively. Remember, this is assumed in the very beginning when it was stated that he has a
right
to do so.
Since whether an act of force is initiatory or retaliatory is not self-evident, and since a man who initiates force is by that fact a threat to society, any man who engages in force that has not been proved by objective means to be retaliatory must be considered a threat.
Who is this “society”? It would be correct to say that such a man must be considered a threat by other men. Even if he is using force objectively! Now the issue that the vigilante is acting on his own becomes relevant - since other people don’t know that his use of force is legitimate they
should
consider him a threat. This is why I am saying the guys should be arrested.
This is the deepest reason why the use of retaliatory force must be delegated to the government: an act of retaliation that isn’t first proved to be an act of retaliation is indistinguishable from an act of aggression – and must be treated as such.
This is false. An act of retaliation that isn’t
first
proved to be an act of retaliation
is
distiguishable from aggression if it can be proved to be an act of retaliation
after the fact
. Thus the man should be arrested and tried, if he cannot prove his use of force was legitimate, he gets convicted. David lists numerous reasons why such a standard of proof would be very hard to meet indeed. I have no problem with that.
In that sense, such unproved acts are whims, because there is no proven reason for other people to believe that the act of force was justified.
A man may use force based on whim. He should be treated as a criminal. A man may use force objectively but be incapable of proving it. He should be dealt with as a criminal (because everyone else has no evidence his act was legitimate). He may act objectively and be able to prove it. What then?
I think you agree that a society that allowed people to “take justice in their own hands” would soon devolve into chaos.
I disagree. I think a society where there is no objective definition of “justice” (i.e. objective law) would devolve into chaos. I think a society where there is no ultimate arbiter holding everyone to that standard would devolve into chaos. This does not contradict what I’m arguing here.
It is in fact “your side” of the argument that is embracing a contradiction - that a man as an individual is capable and has a right to retaliate, but when in society suddenly loses this capability and must be forced to not exercise his right. I think he should be left free - but held accountable. Subtle, and probably irrelevant in practice since the burden of proof is on him and is extremely difficult to meet.