While browsing the Ayn Rand Institute’s website and looking at their blogs via the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, I noticed a new feature – a new website that has videos on it for public viewing.
While browsing the Ayn Rand Institute’s website and looking at their blogs via the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, I noticed a new feature – a new website that has videos on it for public viewing.
I’ve noticed that some of the URL’s via this website are not standard letters and underscores, and sometimes they don’t work because of this. I have contacted the webmaster and he’s looking into it.
It’s a nice idea. This way it’s very convenient to see their new media as it’s available without rummaging through the main site.
This four part interview in the UK with doctor Brook was great!
Yaron Brook Gave a rousing speech before the Republican Party of Virginia Convention of 2009. He stands up for individual rights, blames the Republicans for their demise, and gets a standing ovation ![]()
It might have been a server problem, but the video is not of high quality, though the audio is.
Yaron Brook Gave a rousing speech before the Republican Party of Virginia Convention of 2009. He stands up for individual rights, blames the Republicans for their demise, and gets a standing ovation
It might have been a server problem, but the video is not of high quality, though the audio is.
Considering who the audience was(republicans), and who the host of the event was(republicans), I found it almost Kelleyesque to leave the topic of religion almost completely unadressed. Yeah, he talked about the separation of church and state briefly, but only as a segue to his call for the separation of state and economy. He should have really made it clear that the government has no business in matters like gay marriage, abortion or stem cell research, and that advocating teaching nonsense like creatonism on par with evolution to children should stop immediately. That the Republican Party needs to get rid of the cancer of religion within the party, if they actually want to stand up to the principles that made the country great in the first place.
The speech was good otherwise, but how can he leave that whole topic completely unadressed in such an event?
Considering who the audience was(republicans), and who the host of the event was(republicans), I found it almost Kelleyesque to leave the topic of religion almost completely unaddressed.
In the context of it being a political event, the issue of individual rights is more fundamental, because that is the concern of politics. It wasn’t a philosophical conference, where the issue of reason versus faith would be appropriate. I do agree with you that the issue of religion in politics needs to be addressed, but he did that by mentioning separation of church and state. Of course, I do think that the Republicans, insofar as they are religious, are altruist for that reason; and that is why they don’t completely support capitalism in the Objectivist sense of that word. In other words, I saw it as more focused on the issue at hand. Some of the Founders were very religious (in the historic context) but they sided with individual rights. If the Republicans can shift that way, we will be better off.
If you would like to continue to celebrate Independence Day throughout the weekend, arc-tv has some great lectures online. The one by Dr. John Ridpath on Patrick Henry is great, and I found some great audio renditions of Patrick Henry’s “Give me liberty or give me death” speech on YouTube.
http://arc-tv.com/patrick-henry/#more-768
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DIKPJ9W-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xleQB4TyN-A&feature=related
And don’t forget Michael Berliner’s explanation of what independence means:
http://arc-tv.com/put-the-independence-bac…dependence-day/
Enjoy!