3 hours ago, Nicky said:
Describing that state of affairs as “he derived his ideas from a psychotic break” is willfully dishonest.
This sounds like provoking controversy. That’s fine, but saying “willfully dishonest” is pretty annoying. You can ask where I get such an idea (and I would tell you). A better way to spark conversation would be something like “that psychotic break was absolutely necessary to push his thinking to the limits”. I say this because I know for a fact that you like to provoke controversy, you said so on a thread one time.
He said he derived many of his ideas from this time period (notice that I didn’t say that he said he derived his ideas from a psychotic break; I said he derived his ideas from a time when he had something like a psychotic break)
Take this from Wikipedia on the Red Book, in his own words:
"“The years… when I pursued the inner images, were the most important time of my life. Everything else is to be derived from this. It began at that time, and the later details hardly matter anymore. My entire life consisted in elaborating what had burst forth from the unconscious and flooded me like an enigmatic stream and threatened to break me. That was the stuff and material for more than only one life. Everything later was merely the outer classification, scientific elaboration, and the integration into life. But the numinous beginning, which contained everything, was then.”
This is why I’m asking you where you got your information. I asked if it was Jordan Peterson, because I know he is largely a Jungian, but basically does not try to address any of Jung’s explicit irrationalities. From a counseling perspective, this is fine. After all, Jung used his ideas as a method of helping people through various struggles by interpreting or gaining inspiration from many subjective experiences such as dreams. This is the same way we can gain inspiration from mythology, literature, art, and so on - it doesn’t require any particular scientific or empirical evaluation. But when we look at the justifications Jung used, it doesn’t add up into some rational theory of overcoming struggles and psychological issues.
But anyway, his psychotic issue doesn’t itself diminish anything that came after. It takes a lot to go through something like that, and a lot of thinking to come out the other end without completely collapsing. What counts is what you do after. You could take a rational angle to all of that, talking about how it inspires creativity, greater openness to experience, the confusion that comes in personality, and how we all need some personal means of comprehending the situation (which fits in with a Nietzschean perspective that Jung had in part). But he also used those experiences as themselves evidence of his ideas. In other words, he used his emotions as a means of cognition. I’m not saying all of his ideas were that way, but the essence of his theories came from there. As much as his Red Book was private, it was his personal private notebook to develop his ideas.
I have notebooks that I don’t share for my scientific research because honestly it wouldn’t make sense to much people. I might even record dreams just because of how that can inspire more ideas. Still, I wouldn’t claim that my ideas are verified or are founded on my dreams (or psychotic break, or other strange experiences, if that did happen).
I don’t doubt he was productive. Well, that’s debatable. Productive at what? He wrote books - towards the end of subjective theories. In this sense, he was not productive at all for the development of psychology. But he was productive for the development of psychoanalysis, which I’d say detracted from progress in psychology.
If you still think I’m off base, then let’s stop talking about his biography.
Explain to me what is rational about any of these things (we can argue about if he is overall rational or mystical, but I’m looking for at least one example of a rational theory of his)
Collective unconscious
shadow archetype
Animus/anima
synchronicity
archetypes in general
individuation
I’d rather pick one to focus on for now.
(I’m going to split the thread sometime today, I just need some time to do so)