Central/Upstate New York Local Forum

Hey everyone, just thought David’s idea of a local forum was good and thought it would be good to start one for my area.

Yesterday I went to Andrew Bernstein’s talk at Colgate in Hamilton, NY, one hour southeast of Syracuse. The talk was titled “Religion vs. Morality” and was pretty good. I purchased a copy of Cap Man and got it autographed, lol. Anyway, who else but one strange tree lives in this area?

Andrew Bernstein is always fun to listen to. He brings life to any topic. Was the lecture well-attended?

Sadly, no. In an auditorium that could easily fit 200, I would say about 30 people showed up. However, I don’t know what was expected, nor what Colgate’s student body’s philosophical leanings are.

Sadly, no. In an auditorium that could easily fit 200, I would say about 30 people showed up. However, I don’t know what was expected, nor what Colgate’s student body’s philosophical leanings are.

If you go to Auburn, and then 1 1/2 to 2 hours south of there (roughly) to a little town called Elmira, that’s where I live…so it’s nice to see that there is someone other than a Democrat living in this State, <_<

If you go to Auburn, and then 1 1/2 to 2 hours south of there (roughly) to a little town called Elmira, that’s where I live…so it’s nice to see that there is someone other than a Democrat living in this State, :lol:

Hi Prosperity. Do you know where a small hick town called Penn Yan is? It’s about 45 minutes from Elmira. Thats where I reside.

Hi Prosperity. Do you know where a small hick town called Penn Yan is? It’s about 45 minutes from Elmira. Thats where I reside.

Yes, I do. I know the County Clerk and her husband up there :slight_smile:

It’s beautiful.

Funny that you say “hick town”. I thought that that described my town. :lol:

The land is beautiful until you’ve lived here for the entirety of your near 20 year life. Sometimes I still like to go up on hills and look at the lake. It’s beautiful, but I’d rather there be a skyline.

I live about fifteen miles outside a tiny town called Wellsville. It’s cool seeing someone that lives as close as Elmira.

I live about fifteen miles outside a tiny town called Wellsville. It’s cool seeing someone that lives as close as Elmira.

No kidding. I too think it’s cool to have other people on an objectivist forum naming towns that are in relatively close proximity. Maybe we should all go out bowling together :lol:

Seriously, it is neat though.

I grew up in Liverpool (Just outside of Syracuse) but I live in Boston now. It made me smile to see there were so many people in Upstate New York though!! My Parents still live out there.

I went to Syracuse University and discovered Ayn Rand there. While I enjoyed SU, I’m glad I’m not there anymore – I could not take the winters. It’s nice to know there are Objectivists in Central NY.

I’m in the Hudson Valley of NY, bout an hour or so outside of the city.