You the reader have now grasped the first axiom of philosophy (what is, is / existence exists). This act implies a second axiom: that you exist possessing consciousness, consciousness being the faculty of perceiving that which exists. Consciousness is not inherent in the fact of existence as such; a world without conscious organisms is possible. But consciousness is inherent in your grasp of existence. Inherent in saying “There is something— of which I am aware” is: “There is something—of which I am aware.”
- OPAR
I’ve thought up and heard some confusing arguments in reply and will attempt to answer them as best I can and then hopefully receive some comments / help from you. I have no training in logic / argumentation / philosophy so these might be really basic but I find them so slippery and frustrating. Any pointers to helpful resources is much appreciated.
So A is the other guy.
Conversation 1
A: existence exists is just a meaningless tautology. It’s just like me saying farmers farm. How does that help you? Why must you begin with this if we discuss a philosophical issue?
Me: You must begin with this because if nothing exists then there is nothing for us to investigate.
A: No, maybe nothing exists and this is all some imaginary world. We still have to do the best we can.
M: I didn’t say anything about the nature of existence. Only that *something* must exist. An illusion is something.
A: No an illusion is not real, by definition.
Anyway, the argument just seems to go around in circles and I have trouble getting to the root of the issue or argument.
Conversation 2
A:
How do you know it’s really you perceiving that which exists? Maybe there is no you but your only an illusion.
Me:??
Conversation 3
A: How can you just arbitrarily define consciousness to be what you want it to be? Who said that your definition of consciousness is true?
Me: in order to discuss some topic we have to start with some common definitions.
A: But there are many things that will have different definitions given our experience, so it’s impossible to redefine every word.
Then the topic goes onto epistemology and linguistics which I don’t know much about.
Conversation 4
A: How do you know a world without conscious organisms is possible? Maybe consciousness is inherent in the fact of existence, but your just arbitrarily saying it’s not.
Me:??
This is not really one person but I’ve heard variations of these things and I find myself confused about what is even being said and how to address it.