Well, I don’t mind leaving my “Circular Time” thread on the forum, but just to cover all bases, I reserve the right to have it (my posts) deleted in the future based on the previous non-clarity of the policy and based on the fact that David *did* remove it.
The new question is not whether I have the right to have it deleted in the first place (since it was), but whether David has the right to reinstate it.
What complicates matters is that we are talking about other people’s writings, too, and I don’t wish to claim any say over whether those posts are published. If people misunderstood this point, I apologize for my lack of communicating clearly. The other people’s posts can always be retained, whether or not my posts are there. They could be retained in some other form.
I just don’t believe that an “anything goes” forum is consonant with Objectivist principles. I realize that David does do some editing and monitoring, i.e., keeping out irrational people, but I still don’t think that’s enough. If I were giving a lecture, the opportunities for people to take the floor would be carefully controlled. If it weren’t, then people would get up and leave, which is what I saw was going to happen to my thread, so I got up and left first.
After all, the people who attend a lecture are there to listen mainly to the speaker, not the questioners. It should be up to the host and the speaker to decide if the questioners are making the desired contribution to the purpose of the lecture. Even if there is merit to what the questioner says, it still boils down to the issue of whether the lecturer thinks it’s pertinent and wants to continue with it.
Of course, there will be honest disagreements on the part of questioners who are not given as much attention as they ask for. There will always be honest disagreements of that nature. But the solution is not to let the questioners take over the floor, but to ask the questioners hold their own lecture.
This is tangential and not totally related to the issue at hand, but I am reminded of an article that Ayn Rand wrote in one of the Objectivist newsletters. Student rioters at Berkeley were demanding that the students and professors be able to take over and run the university, and AR disagreed. I agree with AR.
Students and professors should be able to run universities, i.e., hire and fire administrators, but only if they are the ones that started the university in the first place, such as what occurred when universities originated historically as formal organizations of foreign students in Italy, as I understand it.
No offense intended to anyone involved in this event. It appears as though everyone had good motives.