As I’ve looked through this forum, I’ve found others like myself - locked in a job that suits my existing knowledge, but with little potential for challenge or expansion of knowledge, and with increased feeling of purposelessness. I currently have a degree that is of little use in a field in which I would not excel, with enough student loans to keep me busy for the next decade (sounds almost cliched
).
I have interests in a wide variety of fields (from ancient Greece to neuroscience), but no way to determine which are simply “arm-chair interests” and which I would like to further as a career either in research or in some sort of business setting. Is there a difference? In other words, if I have an interest in a specific subject, what would be the purpose in maintaining that interest if not to develop it into a full understanding of the subject?
The hard part, of course, is the learning involved, and that has become my stumbling block. How do I differentiate an interest in a research field from a desire to do research in that field, so that I can decide whether or not to take the huge step of a full-out education in the field? And before I could even get that far, I would have to determine which interest to further. Or should I just stick with what I know? Maybe these questions have no answers.
I will check out that book recommended by athena for pam’s plight.