Part of my trip is to the Baltimore/D.C. area. I begged Mom and Dad to accompany (read: transport) me to the Supreme Court for a few hours. Anything you or “softwareNerd” want me to pick up for you while I’m there?
The scalp of Ruth Bader Ginsburg would be nice. Have a nice trip (especially on those Nebraska winter highways).
He also must know the law. I have no actual experience in this area, but I would guess that many times this is rather simple. I would also guess, though, that many times it is not.
As an “is” especially in contemporary US law, that seems both true and bad. On that note, I do uphold the virtue of PDs under current law and would significantly increase their funding, because it’s nearly impossible to know what the law is, given the current box-of-kittens with spools-of-yarn nature of US law. The recent flurry of “permission by who?” cases does raise an important question about admissibility which can’t be answered by a straight reading of the law. This is an issue that needs to be resolved by the lawmakers so that it becomes a simple matter. In the meantime, there is a simple principle that can be appealed to, namely lenity, which I hold should always prevail when the law is not clear. (Unlike the current system where that is a ‘when all else fails’ principle to be invoked rarely, I would move that principle up the hierarchy to a very prominent position).
How is the judge supposed to get a good argument (or as good an argument) in favor of exclusion without a qualified advocate for the accused (Clarence Gideon notwithstanding)? How is to he to have things he doesn’t understand explained to him when there’s no one to do the explaining?
First, I’m presuming that judges are qualified lawyers, and then some. That would mean if a warrantless search were conducted without compelling evidence of a specific crime and good reason to suspect the individual (this is both very synoptic and a proposal), then an L1 would or should know that this is an illegal search, so certainly a judge would know it. If it isn’t clear, then the benefit of the doubt goes to the defendant.
It seems to me that such cases would require judicial omniscience to keep the scales from tipping towards the prosecution.
I think this is the virtue of lenity. The defense attorney has to be clever enough to find those flaws in the law which can get his client off, which often lead to the creation of new law. If we had a law regarding warrantless searches that says “must secure permission from some person claiming to be the owner of the property”, then there’s no question about how Georgia v. Randolph would come out; OTOH if the law says “must secure permission of the owner”, then that isn’t clear enough and lenity says that Randolph will be released.
Maybe I’m being too judgmental and hindsightish but it seems to me quite foreseeable that a law reading “The government may not enter private property for the purpose of obtaining evidence without the owner’s consent” is not written clearly enough, because of the definite article on a singular noun phrase, plus the fact that more than one person can own property; and therefore, such a law would not stand. But supposing that that were the law and that nobody had noticed the problem before, then what good is the defense attorney? He might be the one to realize this fact about the law and the circumstances; or the judge might or, for that matter, the court reporter might; or, maybe none of them will get it. While I grant that having both a judge and a defense attorney applying their intellectual skills to the case and thus realizing that there is a problem in the law will tip the scales of justice further away from the prosecutor’s advantage than if you only have a judge, it’s also true that having the judge and the entire firm of Crane, Poole and Schmidt will do that even more so. That’s fine, but not on my dime, or the risk of my dime.