Epistemology, Metaphysics and Ethics trumps Politics: vote Obama

The tables have been turned and now it’s the Democrats who are the smart, “elitist”, logical ones.

CrowEpistemologist, you said Democrats are smart and logical. I asked for a few names of smart and logical Democrats. Whenever you’re ready.

I never said that.

Fair enough. I’m thinking it’s best if I stop bothering you, at this point. You’re right, buddy, the government is one big insurance company, and the Democrats are its smart, consistent CEO. And, more importantly, that viewpoint is entirely in accordance with Ayn Rand’s philosophy.

I don’t know what any of these stolen concept, floating abstraction idiots keep objecting to.

Fair enough. I’m thinking it’s best if I stop bothering you, at this point. You’re right, buddy, the government is one big insurance company, and the Democrats are its smart, consistent CEO. And, more importantly, that viewpoint is entirely in accordance with Ayn Rand’s philosophy.

I don’t know what any of these stolen concept, floating abstraction idiots keep objecting to.

Thanks again for your participation.

The issue here isn’t whether the current Republican non-leaders are an actual intellectual movement worthy of support. This is no different then Rand’s support of Nixon actually. She did it to oppose McGovern. Same principle here - Obama needs to be fired. He is the greater evil at work here exactly because he is acting on defined principles; very bad ones.

As far as I’m concerned the U.S. is quickly approaching Titanic levels and while I’d agree the Mittens of the world are poor captains that will drive the ship in wrong waters they can be fought a lot easier than someone like Obama who has demonstrated his desire to replace the current ship with a new state sponsored ship of the line. I suppose the good news is that we won’t be forced into state exchanges to buy a boarding pass because the Supreme Court will call the travel arrangements a tax.

I never said that. I said the Republican side is in opposition to intelligence and logic–in an official, top-line capacity.

But sure, compare Paul Krugman or Jon Stewart to Fox News if you like. Wrong premises, sure, but at least they make a strong attempt to be internally consistent. Their demeanor is that of smart people trying to use facts and they don’t make use of out-right lies as is the norm for the Republican side of today. (Note how this entire situation has flipped in the last 20 years…).

Jon Stewart, the comedian, really? How often do you watch his show? Did you see his interview with Marco Rubio?

How about Peter Schiff for the republican side? Or is he just stupid and illogical too?

But sure, compare Paul Krugman or Jon Stewart to Fox News if you like. Wrong premises, sure, but at least they make a strong attempt to be internally consistent. Their demeanor is that of smart people trying to use facts and they don’t make use of out-right lies as is the norm for the Republican side of today. (Note how this entire situation has flipped in the last 20 years…).

What you say is not true of either of these commentators. Krugman is over-rated. Yes, he’s a Nobel prize winner and so on, but there other economists who are just as lucid and many who are far more lucid without the clearly ideological slant that is generally present in Krugman’s pieces.

As for Jon Stewart, he is far worse. The comedic slant of his show means that he can always claim he’s using hyperbole, or that he is simply joking.

These two are hazardous to one’s epidemiological well-being. At least someone like Hannity (puke) is so obviously partisan that his junk has no chance of entering the mind of a sensible Objectivist. OTOH, Krugman and Stewart wear a cloak borrowed from Aristotle to try smuggling their mush into people’s minds.

These two are hazardous to one’s epidemiological well-being. At least someone like Hannity (puke) is so obviously partisan that his junk has no chance of entering the mind of a sensible Objectivist. OTOH, Krugman and Stewart wear a cloak borrowed from Aristotle to try smuggling their mush into people’s minds.

Well, I’m glad you seem to see my point even if you don’t agree with my conclusion.

To be clear, I personally don’t see any major change occurring, one way or another, in the next 20 years. I’m just not seeing the unbelievable evil of Obama, only a middle-of-the-road politician who is bending with the currently slightly-right-flowing winds. We all know that neither side is going to change things fundamentally (even “slightly fundamentally”) at all and the only real difference is around personality and presentation.

Hence my focus is around personality and presentation. I’m voting for the guys with the cloak borrowed from Aristotle. At least they still see some reason to wear that cloak. The other side attacks the cloak not the thing behind it. They call Democrats “elitist” (which is what Democrats used to call Republicans back in the day of Barry Goldwater and WF Buckley). The word “elitist” is code for “intelligent and rational”.

Forget politics folks–it’s pissing in the ocean at this point and time. The real battle is culture, logic and rationality. Vote pro-elitist, not pro-moronic truck driver.

(BTW, in watching JS or reading PK… I don’t find myself turning into a closet socialist. I don’t swing that way, I just don’t. I’m comfortable with my… rationality. :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Well, I’m glad you seem to see my point even if you don’t agree with my conclusion.

Nicely done :slight_smile:

But, no, while I “see your point” if it comes to Krugman vs. Hannity, that’s a biased sample.

I’m voting for the guys with the cloak borrowed from Aristotle…

You’re not really voting for Krugman. Of the two candidates, from their histories, Romney is far more rational and practical than Obama.

(BTW, in watching JS or reading PK… I don’t find myself turning into a closet socialist. I don’t swing that way, I just don’t. I’m comfortable with my… rationality. :slight_smile: ).

I didn’t mean to imply anything like this. Mis-spelling aside, I meant they’re epistemologically harmful, not that they would change your mind on politics [i reckon it would take someone a little smarter than Krugman ;)]

You’re not really voting for Krugman. Of the two candidates, from their histories, Romney is far more rational and practical than Obama.

But that doesn’t matter.* What matters is how they are being sold–what they are a symbol of. Obama is the “elitist” these days, and Romney is the opposite…

[*That said, you do recall that Romney is a freakin’ Mormon right? You know, with the hat and the gold bars and dum dum dum dum dum dum…?].

[*That said, you do recall that Romney is a freakin’ Mormon right? You know, with the hat and the gold bars and dum dum dum dum dum dum…?].

That’s quite the smart, logical analysis you’ve got there. Did you learn that from the smart and logical Jon Stewart by any chance?

But that doesn’t matter.* What matters is how they are being sold–what they are a symbol of. Obama is the “elitist” these days, and Romney is the opposite.

Oh no, I think it matters. I think having a superiority complex that’s being expressed in stupid, childish ways * is very different from either actually being superior or even just being perceived as superior.

I think, for instance, that everyone in the country except his most hardened fans can easily tell that Jon Stewart is a moron.

[*That said, you do recall that Romney is a freakin’ Mormon right? You know, with the hat and the gold bars and dum dum dum dum dum dum…?].

What matters is how they are being sold–what they are a symbol of. Obama is the “elitist” these days, and Romney is the opposite…

Romney and Ryan are not selling themselves as people to decide things from their hearts. They’re selling themselves as the ones who will face reality with reason. They are also selling themselves as people to will not evade the huge deficit caused by entitlements. They are also selling themselves as champions of lower regulation and less statism. The real danger is that people will read any failures from their actions as a failure of capitalism. However, if you’re going to decide based on how they’re being sold, then they win.

I would not say the same if Santorum or the Alaskan air-head was the GOP candidate or the choice for VP.

[*That said, you do recall that Romney is a freakin’ Mormon right? You know, with the hat and the gold bars and dum dum dum dum dum dum…?].

I don’t like Romney pandering to the religious right. If I vote for a GOP candidate, I want him to be someoe where the evidence shows he is nowhere near imposing his religious beliefs on others, and that his pandering is just that. Agsin, I would not say the same of Santorum or Michelle Bachman or even Newt.

Thanks Nicky. I always appreciate your thoughtful analysis.

Romney and Ryan are not selling themselves as people to decide things from their hearts. They’re selling themselves as the ones who will face reality with reason. They are also selling themselves as people to will not evade the huge deficit caused by entitlements. They are also selling themselves as champions of lower regulation and less statism. The real danger is that people will read any failures from their actions as a failure of capitalism. However, if you’re going to decide based on how they’re being sold, then they win.

I would not say the same if Santorum or the Alaskan air-head was the GOP candidate or the choice for VP.

I don’t like Romney pandering to the religious right. If I vote for a GOP candidate, I want him to be someoe where the evidence shows he is nowhere near imposing his religious beliefs on others, and that his pandering is just that. Agsin, I would not say the same of Santorum or Michelle Bachman or even Newt.

Romney isn’t “pandering” to the Religious right by being Morom (believe it or not, even Christian kooks regard Mormons as kooks–Romney’s Mormanism is not an asset for him). No, what I fear is Romney’s actual Mormon beliefs, and more than that, I fear that his attitude–that you can simply go against your core beliefs whenever it suits you–is a bad trait to be exhibited by the President. I guess this is the heart of the issue for me.

You’re yet to post a counter-example on the D side as well. Who’s a smart and logical Democrat?

Compared to the Republican top-level summary, all of them…

Compared to the Republican top-level summary, all of them…

Joe Biden is a Democrat. So is Charlie Rangel. And Debbie Wasserman Schultz. They’re smart and logical? How about Henry Johnson, the representative from Georgia?

You really should pick some yourself. If you’re gonna let me pick them, it’s not gonna help your argument one bit.

CrowEpistemologist:

We must be living in different universes because nothing you have said corresponds to reality as I know it.

The VP candidate for the Republican party is a bald-faced liar who once made his staff read AR and now says his interest in her is an “urban legend”.

You’ll have to provide more context or a quote or an attribution to this quote since this is something I hadn’t heard. My understanding of Ryan’s position on Rand is ARI’s: he is a fan of Rand’s, particularly Atlas Shrugged but he doesn’t accept her whole philosophy.

On Fox News we regularly hear speakers conflating Obama’s support of Regan’s programs as, “communism” all they while they tell the dumb dumbs who watch that crap that lowering taxes on the rich will make poor truck drivers like themselves oh-so-much-more rich sometime in the future.

Which part of this do you believe is untrue: That the rich disproportionately and unjustly are punished (via taxes) for their success or that all of us would be better off if they weren’t?

Meanwhile, the constant drone of the Democrats seems to be, “okay, so you want a welfare state, let’s actually make it mathematically work”. Crazy stuff.

I don’t hear any Democrats saying this. Certainly you can’t mean Obama who has increased the debt more than all former Presidents combined. I have heard some Democrats say they want to raise taxes to supposedly pay down the debt but all higher taxes equates to is more government spending.

Af for reality, Paul Krugman (!) said it best: the US government is an insurance company with an army.

I have no idea what this means, a properly attributed quote with full context would be nice. But … Paul Krugman!!! Seriously? You are pointing to him as part of this intelligentsia? He is an evil liar with no connection to reality at all.

Given the premises and the political realities for the next, say, 25 years, we’re going to spend what we’re spending on our Army and social safety net, and we’re going to have to pay for it somehow. Our choices therefore are either deficit spending or higher taxes. Period. One party acknowledges this, and one party lies about this.

One party acknowledges that spending money we don’t have cannot go on forever, eventually it will bankrupt us, as it already has and as it has Europe. They also acknowledge that we are Taxed Enough Already. The other party ignores these truths – apparently you agree with them.

I’m voting for the guys with the cloak borrowed from Aristotle. At least they still see some reason to wear that cloak.

Wow, this is nowhere near the truth. They haven’t borrowed the cloak from Aristotle, they have borrowed the cloak from Kant. Kant was pretending to borrow the cloak from Aristotle in order to destroy the cloak, this is what the Democrats/liberals are doing. They don’t wear the cloak of reason, they decide things by feelings or subjectively or according to social justice or according to race or group affiliation. They have already destroyed the schools and they are actively working to destroy the minds of the young by what they teach in schools.

Do you really think they revere or even respect reason when their leader says: “I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there.” !!! In other words “Intelligence is not what gets you anywhere.”

They call Democrats “elitist” (which is what Democrats used to call Republicans back in the day of Barry Goldwater and WF Buckley). The word “elitist” is code for “intelligent and rational”.

Forget politics folks–it’s pissing in the ocean at this point and time. The real battle is culture, logic and rationality. Vote pro-elitist, not pro-moronic truck driver.

Again, a quote would be nice because I don’t often hear Republicans using this word. Perhaps they have used it to refer to Marxist humanities college professors or even Marxist “law professors” but I don’t think they use it to denigrate reason or intelligence.

In fact, I believe it is more commonly used by Democrats or the Marxist Occupy Wall Street crowd to refer to rich people.

Interesting your usage there though: “moronic truck driver”. Are all truck drivers necessarily moronic? Who is the elitist now?

Romney and Ryan are not selling themselves as people to decide things from their hearts. They’re selling themselves as the ones who will face reality with reason. They are also selling themselves as people to will not evade the huge deficit caused by entitlements. They are also selling themselves as champions of lower regulation and less statism. The real danger is that people will read any failures from their actions as a failure of capitalism. However, if you’re going to decide based on how they’re being sold, then they win.

Funny how you ignored this part of softwareNerd’s post and instead decided make fun of Romney’s religious beliefs … as opposed to what? Christian belief? Remember … Obama is a freakin’ Christian right?

Who’s a smart and logical Democrat?

I’m sorry, in order to keep this out of the category of “floating abstraction” or at least out of the category of “Democratic talking points” we are really going to need a name. I can’t think of any. Bill Clinton is supposedly smart but he is also a liar and a cheat. So perhaps you could name a smart, logical, honest Democrat. (I’m sorry to say that this will be an impossible task since, contrary to your defense of some liberal’s “internal consistency”, logic requires correct premises.)

I feel like many people here simply refuse to believe the indisputable fact that every one of those geriatric t-party followers are on Social Security like all old people are, and when push comes to shove they aren’t going to vote themselves a pay cut. They are there because somebody at Fox News told them that 94% of the Federal budget is actually spent on homosexual atheist art specials on PBS and if they just get rid of the Democrats we can cut those and balance the budget.

Here is a nice little hyperbolic screed a la who, John Stewart? However it only displays your myopia. You have been asking about reason and intelligence, logic and fundamental premises and when they present themselves you do what Democrats who have none of the above do: you insult instead of making an argument.

All of the energy and ideas on the Republican side come from the Tea Party these days but you dismiss them as what? Geriatric hypocrites? Ayn Rand and many other Objectivists collected and collect Social Security. Do you think they wouldn’t “vote themselves a pay cut”? Why is it that you find Tea Partiers less sincere that Marxist socialists or even Democrat/liberals? I’m sure most of the Tea Partiers understand that cutting SS must be done and that ultimately it will be beneficial for them.

I’m reminded of the election 10 years ago in Alabama I believe in which there was a proposal to raise taxes on the rich in order to supposedly save services for the poor. A large percentage of the electorate was considered poor enough that this tax would either help them directly or not affect them at all, it was expected to easily pass, it didn’t, 70% of poor people voted against raising taxes on the rich. People aren’t as cynical or unjust as you suspect.

So the Tea Party espouses less spending and lower taxes. They envision smaller government and revere the founding fathers and principles. This may not be a full philosophy and they may not even understand it fully, but at least they are on the right side of truth, justice, the American way and “culture, logic and rationality”, which are the things you supposedly want to support.

But somehow you have convinced yourself that supporting the party that explicitly says: government spending is what creates jobs; redistribution of wealth is fair; if you own a business you didn’t build that; working hard and being smart are not how you get ahead in life; government is the answer not the problem; etc. – is what culture, logic and rationality demand. These things are what has and is destroying the culture, they are illogical and have no connection to reality at all.

What you support is destroying the things you say you want to save. You have deluded yourself, your thinking is muddled, contradictory and wrong.

It seems we have a debate over who we think the greater evil is and that is where we will get a possible good debate without the hyperbole.

As I have said, I consider the current Obamanation that tries to act as a leader just that - The greater evil.

[…]

So the Tea Party espouses less spending and lower taxes. They envision smaller government and revere the founding fathers and principles. This may not be a full philosophy and they may not even understand it fully, but at least they are on the right side of truth, justice, the American way and “culture, logic and rationality”, which are the things you supposedly want to support.

[…]

This is the Tea Party you made up in your own mind. A Romantic (in the literary sense) Tea Party of how it “might be and ought to be”.

The real Tea Party is staffed with old people who will vote any politician out of office who touches they SS or Medicare with a 10’ pole. That’s why all of the Republican candidates frame their policies in terms of “saving Medicare” or “bolstering Social Security”.

Here’s a relevant story on Ryan (and just google “ryan medicare” or “ryan social security” for dozens of others):

http://www.slate.com…servatism_.html

The point is that Ryan and Romney are 1000% committed to the welfare state. If they weren’t, the Tea Party people would not vote for them. Yes, you read that right.

I defy you to show me a single Tea Party spokesperson who actually understands what Natural Rights are beyond a tax break for themselves and a way to get darky out of office.

Oh, here’s one more link demonstrating just how many light years the Tea Party is from real individual rights:

Republican Immigration Platform Backs ‘Self-Deportation’

From the article: “If you really want to create a job tomorrow, you can remove an illegal alien today,” Mr. Kobach said.

So the Tea Party espouses less spending and lower taxes. They envision smaller government and revere the founding fathers and principles. This may not be a full philosophy and they may not even understand it fully, but at least they are on the right side of truth, justice, the American way and “culture, logic and rationality”, which are the things you supposedly want to support.

Actually the first two sentences are fact and the last sentence states which philosophical side these facts stand on. And if the Tea Party does come to a full understanding of the reasons why these policies are right, then that philosophy can be realized.

Whereas, if the policies and philosophy of the Dems becomes fully realized, then we will have the old Soviet Union right here in the United States. This is OK with you?

The real Tea Party is staffed with old people who will vote any politician out of office who touches they SS or Medicare with a 10’ pole. That’s why all of the Republican candidates frame their policies in terms of “saving Medicare” or “bolstering Social Security”.

Actually, the only people the Tea Party has voted out of office are those who oppose lower spending and less taxes.

The point is that Ryan and Romney are 1000% committed to the welfare state. If they weren’t, the Tea Party people would not vote for them. Yes, you read that right.

The point is that the Dems are 10,000% committed to the welfare state. I don’t know why you bring this up since most certainly the Dems are more committed to the welfare state – a fact you’ve already acknowledged – and that is why the Tea Party won’t vote for them.

I defy you to show me a single Tea Party spokesperson who actually understands what Natural Rights are beyond a tax break for themselves and a way to get darky out of office.

I defy you to show me a single person (beyond Objectivists) who actually understands what Natural Rights are. I defy you to show me a single Dem who, to the extend they do understand what Rights are, doesn’t want to destroy them. I further defy you to do it by making a logical argument sans fallacious and unbecoming race baiting (you and the Dems make yourselves so ugly and small when you engage in nonsense like that.) You should also watch the attribution of “for themselves”, this is an Objectivist forum after all, that selfless illogic doesn’t play.

Your primary argument, I thought, for voting for Dems was this idea that the Dems represented the only vestige of reason and logic in politics today – I’m glad to see you’ve abandoned that false argument, that is some progress.

You also seem to agree that lower taxes and less spending are a good thing, why would you ever vote for a Democrat then?

Actually the first two sentences are fact and the last sentence states which philosophical side these facts stand on. And if the Tea Party does come to a full understanding of the reasons why these policies are right, then that philosophy can be realized.

Whereas, if the policies and philosophy of the Dems becomes fully realized, then we will have the old Soviet Union right here in the United States. This is OK with you?

The Tea Party has no leader. There is no platform to look at other than probably some form of Reagonomics just based on the fact that they’re Republicans essentially. Either that, or it was a good thing, but Republicans and their emotionalism quickly ruined it. There is little to no reason to expect they will ever come to a philosophical foundation other than common sense, which is absolutely not a philosophical foundation, and instead very damaging to getting anything done rationally. And it’s scare mongering to even bring up the Soviet Union. It’s up there with calling Obama a commie in terms of hyperbole.

I actually don’t care much which ticket anyone prefers to vote for, what I’d much rather hear is what you would like to see done in the future. It’s more productive. I doubt anyone here thinks the Romney/Ryan ticket is actually “good”, just the “least bad” for those who plan to vote for it.