I find the very basic act of wanting to see the best in each other, even if we don’t always agree on what that is, makes me love my Grandma, Sister, Parents and aunts on my mom’s side. We don’t agree on much else though. What do you all think of this one value we all have in common being the basis of the relationships?
No takers on this topic?
Do you think your parents love you because they want to see the best in you? Might it be because they created and raised you?
36 minutes ago, MisterSwig said:
Do you think your parents love you because they want to see the best in you? Might it be because they created and raised you?
Yes on all counts. Is that in contradiction with Rand’s ethics?
10 minutes ago, nakulanb said:
Yes on all counts. Is that in contradiction with Rand’s ethics?
I wouldn’t say that. Though I don’t think the source of love is your desire to see the best in them. That is a separate issue, probably an attempt to sustain the love. The source is the fact that they’re your parents, they raised you, and I assume they treat you well. It would be difficult to maintain such love if your parents were monsters who treat you terribly.
On 11/25/2019 at 11:29 PM, MisterSwig said:
I wouldn’t say that. Though I don’t think the source of love is your desire to see the best in them. That is a separate issue, probably an attempt to sustain the love. The source is the fact that they’re your parents, they raised you, and I assume they treat you well. It would be difficult to maintain such love if your parents were monsters who treat you terribly.
Thanks for the clarification.