First of all, I am in a long distance relationship. She lives in Ohio and I’m in Texas. Of course, we’ve always missed each other, but we’ve never had any real problems until now.
Over the past week or so, I’ve noticed that she’s been acting strange. So, I kept bugging her about it until she finally admitted that she “needs space” and needs to think over whether or not this (us getting married) is the right thing to do. She says she still loves me, and I believe her. She says this isn’t about me, that I didn’t do anything wrong, and that she just needs some time to think things over. I believe that she is being truthful. And she says she’s about 80% sure that this is only temporary, but I have been in utter torture for the past 2 days.
I think a lot of this is happening because she spent the whole summer down here with me and she’s having trouble with us being apart again. We met online, and the longest we had spent together before this summer was 16 days. So, we were used to having each other around and I think the separation anxiety has been worse for her this time around than it ever had been before.
I wrote her a rather lengthy email trying to tell her that we’re gonna get through this, and reminding her of everything we’ve been through together…you’d be surprised what you can go through with someone that you only talked to online for 5 years, before actually meeting.
She says she doesn’t know why she’s feeling these things, but that she needs some time off. So, technically, we’re broken up right now but she seems pretty sure that it’s only temporary. We’re not gonna stop talking or anything, and we still say “I love you.” Her birthday is on Wednesday, and I just ordered a dozen roses to be sent to her, just as a reminder of how much I love her. She’ll be coming back down here for Thanksgiving, and my hope is that she’ll forget about everything she’s feeling right now as soon as she sees me again.
I am convinced that if she breaks up with me we will both regret it for the rest of our lives. She doesn’t seem to know why she suddenly started feeling like this, but that’s why she wants to take time off, so she can think things out.
She finally told me about this yesterday afternoon and I have been in complete torture ever since. I’m in the middle of a master’s thesis, and I haven’t been able to work on it at all. The thought of going to work tomorrow is driving me crazy, because I don’t know how I’ll get anything done. I’ve cried for the first time in years, and I’ve done it several times. The mere thought that it could be over is tearing me apart. I hear all these songs on the radio about people with broken hearts, and I finally understand what they mean. I feel physically sick…like there’s a big hole in my chest where my heart should be. I didn’t eat supper yesterday, and all I’ve had today are some pretzels and about a third of a can of spaghettios. I can scarcely remember what my life was like before I knew her (about 6 years ago) and I don’t want to imagine what it would be like without her in the future.
Please, no lectures, but any advice on how to remedy the situation or, at least, cope with what I’m feeling right now would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
David
EDIT: And now I can’t find my tube of carmex. ![]()