I think your intent can be gleaned
Which you did quite nicely, thanks.
In other words, BECAUSE you have already made a moral judgment concerning a particular act, you are searching for some definition which will validate that moral judgment.
I’m not too worried about this being accurate, RC. I pride myself in being cognizant of my own paradigms of thought, and in seeking to conquer them. In this case, that the definition which makes the most sense to me also happens to include blackmail, slander, et al, only reaffirms that I was on the right track all along.
I am not afraid of being wrong, mind you. As a matter of fact, I endeavor to find my incorrect ideas and ideals and squash them. That’s one of the reasons I’m here. But after considering your post, and reconsidering my stance, I do not think this is one such case.
Bearster,
If “force” were a concrete concept, likely there wouldn’t be as much debate about its definition, eh? Perhaps “reducing it to its epistemological core” could have been phrased better; RC seemed to understand what I was getting at though, so I’m not going to bother clarifying, if you don’t mind. I’m not interested in semantics.
I think “blackmail” is also a package-deal because one definition is to threaten someone with force if he doesn’t pay money, and the other is to threaten to reveal the truth to people whom he has lied.
Not always; one could threaten to blackmail a Senate-elect with revealing their rocky childhood, or a President with “proof” that he had smoked pot in college. It is not always a lie that is being revealed, it could be a matter of mere embarrassment for an honest error in one’s past. The concept of blackmail does not presume that the “blackmailee” has done anything immoral.
It’s force when there is an implicit contractual agreement between the slanderer and the listener that what the slanderer says is true.
I knew a Feldblum went to Yale who was a fan of Rand. He was convicted of drug trafficking in his sophomore year and booted. A friend of mine tells me that he returned home, where he opened up a dry-clean business as a front store for harboring a fencing ring.
i.e.
Slander need not be true (nor even provable!) to be effective.
***
Force is compelling a response from an individual by any means which they do not condone; be it legislation, internment, false implication, or hammering shoots of bleach-soaked bamboo under one’s fingernails until they admit to a crime they did not commit. Force need not even be direct upon the individual; the Italian mafia in its heyday was notorious for implying that one’s family could bear the response of one’s non-compliance, and this is also a very effective tactic; today we call it terrorism.
So I stand by my previous statements: force need not be a gun, nor even violent. It need only be a threat, real or implied, stipulatory or inevitable, of a specific response or situation.