Copy of email thread I’ve been in:
[me]OK I got the impression that it was partly the merger you had dismay over. If freedom of speech is the issue, as I agree it also must be, then I’d leave out mention of mergers and just go for the jugular on the government’s sponsoring and allowance of its suppression. (e.g. Danish Muslim cartoons.)
The GBLA is not doing too badly considering how I, as chair, have zero time for its effort aside from email blitzing. A shame in one sense and a positive comment in the other. (a shame the chair hasn’t more time and also similar or more energy as I—though my energy lately is wholly consumed in work and family——positive in the sense that with minimal work there is exponential response, just imagine what could be achieved through greater ability and time!!!)
The issue of running bon afide LANDOWNERS politicians turned out to be fractious in the group. Some do not want to spit the vote allowing another Liberal government. Some do not want to see the Ontario PC party in with the current leader either and want to run candidates, though this will most certainly hand over seats to the Liberals. Some see the real work as cultural and that the people are not ready yet for Landowners in government so time and money and effort is better spent doing what we are already good at. But less of that is happening at the same time.
This is not unlike the splitting among Objectivists that I mingle with. I think the position of ARI (Ayn Rand Institute www.aynrand.org) is that the culture is not ready for an Objectivist politician, and when it is the Dems and Repos, The Conservs and the Libs, will take on the positions naturally. I am of this opinion. Even though the Freedom Party of Ontario is to me the most compelling, I’m not sure if it will be a net plus or minus in the efforts of Objectivism. (minuses come from problems like crackpot-ism, diluted effort, cultural rejection and entrenchment, etc.)
The politicians are thus seen as the mirror and not the cause of the culture. I think this is true.
I used to wonder if there was an argument to be made that the culture today is ahead of the political parties (this does sort of follow from the above premise.) I thought that the phenomenon was only in rural culture, that almost no one was happy with either party, and almost anyone would support a party that stood for Civil (i.e. Religious) AND Fiscal AND Political freedom (AND smallest government). Then I heard too many who were more firmly against Civil freedom instead of FOR Fiscal freedom, or against Fiscal freedom instead of FOR Civil Freedom, and almost no one FOR Political Freedom and Smallest Government.
The problem I’ve had with the Libertarian Party is the anarchism (which today may be no more then perceived anarchism though I still see some anarchists participate) as well as the undefined, or rather, the multi-defined concept of freedom, e.g. “economic freedom” or “moral freedom.”
Ayn Rand’s illustration of freedom put it best. “Intellectual Freedom cannot exist without Political Freedom, Political Freedom cannot exist without Economic Freedom. The Free Mind and the Free Market are corollaries.” I see the Freedom Party to best reflect this (their allusion to moral Objectivity in their slogan “Some Things ARE Black and White” shows this) but the culture has not yet shown mass or general sympathy to neither the Libertarian Party nor the Freedom Party so far, which substantiates Dr. Leonard Peikoff’s claim (paraphrased) “I do not think an Objectivist candidate WOULD GET BY THE FIRST PRIMARY!”
Paul Hallman
From: Andrew Phillips [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: January 12, 2007 4:29 PM
To: Greybruce Landowners
Subject: Re: Five for Eight
I agree with you in the main Paul but freedom of speech should not be blocked just because you personally don’t like what someone will say. As Voltaire said,“Thought I disagree with what you say I defend to the death your right to say it” My main point is that when people try and block people from having they’re say they are, in effect/ announcing that they might be on thin ice in their beliefs certainly they have problems with people who voice differences of opinion. And I’m all for laissez-faire. How are things with the Grey Bruce Landowners Association? As I wrote to Randy Hillier I am most impressed with your success stories this year and look forward to many more. Will the Landowners run anyone provincially this fall and take on the “Evil” Empire in Queens Park?
All the best
Andrew Phillips
Libertarian Party of Canada
----- Original Message -----
From: Greybruce Landowners
To: Andrew Phillips
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 10:45 AM
Subject: RE: Five for Eight
Corporations have as much entitlement to full freedom as individuals. After all, corporations, like collective groups or masses, are made of individuals.
Here’s to laissez-faire!
Paul Hallman
Chairman
Grey Bruce Landowners Association
(519) 372-7005
I am. I think. I will.
I stand here on the summit of the mountain.
I lift my head and I spread my arms.
This, my body and spirit, this is the end
of the quest. I wished to know the meaning
of things. I am the meaning. I wished
to find a warrant for being. I need no
warrant for being, and no word of sanction
upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction.
It is my eyes which see, and the sight of
my eyes grants beauty to the earth. It is
my ears which hear, and the hearing of my
ears gives its song to the world. It is my
mind which thinks, and the judgement of
my mind is the only searchlight that can
find the truth. It is my will which chooses,
and the choice of my will is the only edict
I must respect.
Many words have been granted me,
and some are wise, and some are false,
but only three are holy: “I will it!”
Whatever road I take, the guiding star
is within me; the guiding star and the
loadstone which point the way. They point
in but one direction. They point to me.
I know not if this earth on which I stand
is the core of the universe or if it is but
a speck of dust lost in eternity. I know not
and I care not. For I know what happiness
is possible to me on earth. And my happiness
needs no higher aim to vindicate it.
My happiness is not the means to any end.
It is the end. It is its own goal.
It is its own purpose.
Neither am I the means to any end others
may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool
for their use. I am not a servant of their
needs. I am not a bandage for their wounds.
I am not a sacrifice on their altars.
I am a man. This miracle of me is mine
to own and keep, and mine to guard, and
mine to use, and mine to kneel before!
What is my joy if all hands, even the
unclean, can reach into it? What is my
wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to
me? What is my freedom, if all creatures,
even the botched and the impotent, are my
masters? What is my life, if I am but to
bow, to agree and to obey?
I am done with the monster of “We,”
the word of serfdom, of plunder, of misery,
falsehood and shame.
And now I see the face of god, and I
raise this god over the earth, this god whom
men have sought since men came into being,
this god who will grant them joy and peace and pride.
This god, this one word:
“I.”
-excerpted from Anthem, Ayn Rand
________________________________________
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Five for Eight
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:59:32 -0500
I’m please to announce that my letter of 09-Jan-06 on Freedom of Speech at Carleton University, or lack of it, made it into the Ottawa Sun today in only slightly truncated form. I’m now 5 for 8 on letters written to the local papers that have been published and that they mangled this one the least means I have used the excellent advice imparted to me by Jim McIntosh down in Toronto who quoted Winston Churchill, “if I had more time I would have written a shorter letter”. Strangely and something I view a little ominously they deleted the line about Charter Rights and Freedoms on the issues of “freedom of speech” and “freedom of association”. You’d almost think they don’t want people to know they have them. Hope to see those who can make it at the meeting on Wednesday. Ray get there when you can it’ll be good to see you whenever you can show up.
Today I read the CanWest has merged with Atlantic Alliance. my next letter will be on corporations lessening the healthy interaction of different ideas by restricting the avenues available to voice an opinion.
Andrew Phillips
Libertarian Party of Canada
Lanark Landowners Association
I also questioned in another thread (Objectivist Political Party) the opinions of others here in regard to the Freedom Party. I almost joined once, and may still. I may even run Provincially in my riding. Does anyone else find their policies in line with Objectivism? Could most in the culture be _ FOR _ freedom as opposed to _ AGAINST _ their particular point of view, instead, _ YET _ !?!