The GodFather 1 & 2
Why Ben-Hur. Isn’t that a Christian movie.
I must mention that I haven’t seen it.
See it first, then if you still have a complaint we can at least argue it from the same starting point.
The Godfather
Strangers on a Train
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Citizen Kane
Duck Soup
The Third Man
The Scarlet Empress
Dr. Strangelove
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Lady Eve
I don’t know if y’all have ever seen Hoosiers (Gene Hackman, slightly young), but it makes my top ten. It’s usually widely discussed as the best sports movie, and I saw it for the first time a week or so ago. Blew me away.
I liked Hoosiers, but my all-time favorite sports movie is “Remember the Titans.” It’s theme is teamwork AND individualism. There are no villains – just heroes – each working toward a common goal for his own personal, selfish reasons in his own unique way.
a few more:
the early James Bond movies, eg. Dr. No
fairly old Les Miserables (Charles Laughton and Cedric March I think)
It’s always tough to narrow it down, even to ten. But that never stopped me before. Some of these are more to shine a light on less obvious choices, while others are quite obvious choices:
-
We the Living
-
Casablanca
-
Braveheart
-
Queen Christina
-
It Happened One Night
-
Zulu
-
Whispering Smith
-
Prince of Foxes
-
The Scarlet Pimpernel
-
The Winslow Boy
-
The Great Escape
-
Stealing Heaven
-
Only Angels Have Wings
-
Only the Valiant
-
Hobson’s Choice (starring Sharon Gless) . . .
Someone mentioned A Bridge Too Far. I loved that movie, but it was really more like a documentary of what actually happened, than a movie.
Some favorites in no particular order:
Lord of the Rings
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflys
Schindler’s List
Seven Samurai
High and Low
Rashamon
Lawrence of Arabia
The Samurai Trilogy
M
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Aliens
If I were to pick the one I view as the greatest it would be The Seven Samurai.
Which is the greatest movie you have ever seen, which you have liked the most?
At the moment my favorite film is: The Count of Monte Cristo
#2 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
#3 Finding Forrester
-Elizabeth
Some favorites in no particular order:
Lord of the Rings
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflys
Schindler’s List
Seven Samurai
High and Low
Rashamon
Lawrence of Arabia
The Samurai Trilogy
M
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Aliens
If I were to pick the one I view as the greatest it would be The Seven Samurai.
Yay, someone who recognizes Kurasawa awsomeness. Spirited Away is quite good as well. I wholeheartedly endorse a great many movies on your list, however I was extremely dissapointed with Grave of the Fireflys. What did you see in it that I didn’t?
Yay, someone who recognizes Kurasawa awsomeness. Spirited Away is quite good as well. I wholeheartedly endorse a great many movies on your list, however I was extremely dissapointed with Grave of the Fireflys. What did you see in it that I didn’t?
It just got to me, that’s all. It was also beautifully animated and I thought the movie serves as a good showcase for what animation is capable of.
As for Kurosawa, I can’t get enough. Yojimba, Sanjuro, Stray Dog, Ran, Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood; all could have made my list. I have Ikiru but haven’t steeled myself up to watch it yet.
Inherit the Wind
Goldeneye
Big Fish
Phantom of the Opera (when it comes out on Christmas!)
Spider-Man 2
Pirates of the Carribean
Amadeus
Terminator 2 ![]()
EDIT: Boondock Saints!!!
I liked Hoosiers, but my all-time favorite sports movie is “Remember the Titans.” It’s theme is teamwork AND individualism. There are no villains – just heroes – each working toward a common goal for his own personal, selfish reasons in his own unique way.
Definitely. I bought “Remember the Titans” as soon as it came out on DVD because of those themes. Having some really good sports scenes didn’t hurt either. The hits are almost real when you play it on a decent hi-fi.
Yay, someone who recognizes Kurasawa awsomeness. Spirited Away is quite good as well. I wholeheartedly endorse a great many movies on your list, however I was extremely dissapointed with Grave of the Fireflys. What did you see in it that I didn’t?
Grave of the Fireflies is a very sad movie. Why are you all ignoring Princess Mononoke? :yarr: BAKA!! B)
I never thought of a Bridge to Far as a documentary… but you are right. In that sense the story was not so much a creation of the artist. However I still give props to the actors (go Sean Connery!) and the structure of the film, even if the director had somewhat of a historical script to go by as opposed to a purely original one. Either way -> good movie. ![]()
In no particular order:
The Rock
Braveheart
Cry Freedom
Lord of the Rings
Doctor Zhivago
The Magnificent Seven
Patton
A Few Good Men
O Brother Where Art Thou
A Beautiful Mind
Men of Honor
Funny, but pointless movies:
Dumb and Dumber
Tommy Boy
Napoleon Dynamite
Spaceballs
Billy Madison
I am wondering what you guys liked about Kill Bill? I thought it was an awful movie. The way blood spouted out of peoples arms was just so random and unrealistic.
I would also like to add that I particularly enjoy “Holiday Inn”.
It is an old movie with Fred Astaire that is considered a ‘holiday classic’. It is a pretty simple and silly movie-but that is why I enjoy it so much. The movie is very jovial and light-lifting me away (especially with Fred Astaire!)
If anybody is looking for a light, fun movie with great music-I would very much suggest this one :yarr: .
It’s very hard to pick a most favorite movie. Lots of those here have listed many of my favorites, so I’ll try not to be too repetitious. Here are just a few…
Flight Of The Phoenix – This is a great movie about a plane crash in the desert and the attempt by the survivors to get out alive. This movie demonstrates the value of the men of the mind. Acting is great.
Amadeus – Someone else mentioned this, but it should be mentioned again. What makes this movie especially great is that the genius is real. You hear the music of Mozart, which greatly enhances the realism.
The Forbidden Planet – the special effects of this movie are amazing, in that they were done in the 1950s, yet are still pretty effective. The plot is based on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
Rob Roy – honor is something you can’t give to a man, nor take from him.
Strictly Ballroom – this is a quirky Australian film. I didn’t think I would like this going by the title, and it starts out slow, but it ended up being superb. Remember, a life lived in fear, is only half lived.
For comedies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is definitely my favorite, but you can’t go wrong with Young Frankenstein. And, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I remember Woody Allen’s Sleeper being very funny. Volunteers, with Tom Hanks and John Candy.
“Rebecca”
It’s a Hitchcock film. It’s a good thriller with interesting characters.
Flight Of The Phoenix – This is a great movie about a plane crash in the desert and the attempt by the survivors to get out alive. This movie demonstrates the value of the men of the mind. Acting is great.
Yes! I had forgotten about Flight of the Phoenix, an excellent movie.
Amadeus – Someone else mentioned this, but it should be mentioned again. What makes this movie especially great is that the genius is real. You hear the music of Mozart, which greatly enhances the realism.
I remember being put off by the extreme vulgarity of Mozart’s language in that movie. That kind of naturalism can spoil a good movie.
The comedies I like are the old-fashioned kind–romantic comedies. Movies with Claudette Colbert, Jean Arthur, Irene Dunne, Ginger Rogers, Greta Garbo in Ninotchka, etc.
Grave of the Fireflies is a very sad movie. Why are you all ignoring Princess Mononoke?
BAKA!!
Not ignoring it. I decided to choose one Miyazaki film for my list. I could have loaded it up with his films.
It’s very hard to pick a most favorite movie. Lots of those here have listed many of my favorites, so I’ll try not to be too repetitious. Here are just a few…
Flight Of The Phoenix – This is a great movie about a plane crash in the desert and the attempt by the survivors to get out alive. This movie demonstrates the value of the men of the mind. Acting is great.
This is being remade into a film with Dennis Quaid and Giovanni Ribisi.