Which is the greatest movie you have ever seen, which you have liked the most?
Mine is Lawrence of Arabia closely followed by Guns of Navarone.
I would like to know yours.
Which is the greatest movie you have ever seen, which you have liked the most?
Mine is Lawrence of Arabia closely followed by Guns of Navarone.
I would like to know yours.
I don’t think I could pick just one. Off the top of my head, Star Wars and Fellowship of the Ring would be near the top.
The Shawshank Redemption.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/
The philosophy this movie captures is essentially: “Get busy living or get busy dying.” Act long-range and with a rational sense of purpose. Discover the supreme morality and practicality of integrity and values. Individualism vs collectivism. It is the best movie ever made.
I also like the movie classic “The Sound of Music”, because of its rational sense of life. “You can’t run away from problems, you have to face them.” Finding your real values, not just conforming to social pressures. Individualism vs collectivism. Rationality and exploration of reality. Etcetera. A great movie.
At the moment, The Lord Of the Rings Trilogy stands out in my mind.
There is a whole slew of Akira Kurasawa film’s that are in close competition (Seven Samurai, Ran, Stray Dog, Red Beard, etc.) All of these are excelent.
Casablanca. One of the only movies I can watch over, and over, and over, and over-and each time I grow to love it more, and each time I discover/learn something new.
Amazing movie that I advise everybody to watch.
Great question!
My two all-time favorites are Star Wars and Casablanca. Both are prime examples of movie artistry and mean a great deal personally.
Kill Bill is up there, too. Of the two parts, I’d give the edge to vol.1, solely for sheer originality. After seeing vol.1, I was counting the days till vol.2 came out. I haven’t anticipated a movie so much in a very long time.
My favorite acting performance is Jose Ferrer in Cyrano de Bergerac (the 1950 version). I get choked up every time I watch the final scene. It’s also my very favorite play, by far. To be fair, as a movie, it is more like a filmed play than a purely cinematic work of art. So I don’t think I can objectively place the movie as a whole on the same level as the others.
Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back— The best Star Wars movie of ALL, Its much darker than the first, and you really feel the empire clamping down on the Rebel Freedom Fighters…
Gladiator — Its not a perfect movie,but its still kicks butt
Ben Hur — if you ignore all the Christianity, it rocks.
Patton — FANTASTIC movie, the opening speech is my favorite movie seen ever, i wish we had leaders like him today that woald go up and talk like him about the war on terror with all the moral certainty in the world.
The Shawshank Redemption.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly— I LOVE THIS MOVIE, one of the best westerns ever made. Everything always seems to fall into place for the man with no name.
…ill have to think of more.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly— I LOVE THIS MOVIE, one of the best westerns ever made.
…and of course among those best westerns is also “Tombstone”…
Ten Greatest Movies ever made:
1: Lawrence of Arabia
2: Ben-Hur
3: The Bridge on the River Kwai
4: Patton
5: Glory
6: Amadeus
7: Rob Roy
8: Life is Beautiful
9: Immortal Beloved
10: The Sound of Music
Ten Greatest Movies ever made:
If you have seen “The Shawshank Redemption”, then please tell me why that movie is not on your list.
If you have seen “The Shawshank Redemption”, then please tell me why that movie is not on your list.
I have seen it, and it would definitely make a top 100 list, but the reason it is not in my top 10 is because I dislike the ending and I don’t think it’s overall theme is as grand as it could be. I don’t see the Shawshank Redemption all that differently from Clint Eastwood’s Escape from Alcatraz.
> Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix (fist one), Good Fellas, Rocky I and II, and BRAVEHEART (loved that one).
Back to the Future (trilogy), Contact, Life is Beautiful, Indian Jones (trilogy), The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Qatsi Trilogy
Life is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella)
Ridicule (French movie)
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings (as a whole)
The Matrix (only the first)
The Princess Bride
Pirates of the Caribbean
Kill Bill (1 & 2 together)
Goodbye, Lenin
Amadeus
Those are the top 10 I can think of right now. There are definitely others who compete for top 10, like Chaplin’s The Great Dictator, Shawshank Redemption, Minority Report, U-571, Casablanca, and many, many more…
Ten Greatest Movies ever made:
2: Ben-Hur
Why Ben-Hur. Isn’t that a Christian movie.
I must mention that I haven’t seen it.
Why Ben-Hur. Isn’t that a Christian movie.
I must mention that I haven’t seen it.
Yes, Christian, but not completly Christian. Its mostly stay in the background untill the end,but its a GREAT MOVIE.
Its about a Hebrew Prince(Ben-Her) who is friends with a roman soldier(Messala) but he gets accused of trying to asssinate the new Governer by his friend and is put in jail and turned to a slave rower in a Roman Battleship, theres A LOT MORE to the story, but youll have to watch it…GREAT MOVIE
“ATLAS SHRUGGED” (yet to be made)
(Hoping it will be the greatest, but prepared to be disappointed).
(A remaking of The Fountainhead could also be great).
Until then: SPARTACUS
I don’t know if y’all have ever seen Hoosiers (Gene Hackman, slightly young), but it makes my top ten. It’s usually widely discussed as the best sports movie, and I saw it for the first time a week or so ago. Blew me away. Great directing and maybe the best sports plot ever. It’s not just an underdog story, it really tries hard to depict man at his best.
Why not add Rudy and Breaking away to Hoosiers?
don’t listen to me…i’m still at school at IU.
I think that Boondock Saints is also a good movie. i’ll post some thoughts on this later…
Star Wars Trilogy
Ben Hur
The Big Country
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Matrix (first one only)
Princess Mononoke
A Bridge Too Far (go Sean Connery!)
The Rock (see above)
The Fifth Element
Shall We Dance (original Japanese version)
Ghost in the Shell (first movie)
If I had to watch 11 movies over and over these are what I’d choose ![]()