Hi, my name is Rob and I am from Derbyshire in the UK. I discovered objectivism through the terrygoodkind.com forum.
I find this philosophy to have a non-contradictory sense of rationality, and a code of ethics that is based on demonstrable principles. This sets it apart from all other philosophies that I am aware of, and gives it a credibility and self-supporting integrity that the others lack. Objectivism has given me much clarity in my course through life for the relatively short time I have been aware of and understood it (approx. 1.5 years).
My current collection of books I own based around objectivism is:
Anthem
We The Living
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
The Virtue of Selfishness
Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal
Ayn Rand and Business
Despite my apparent enthusiasm for all things objectivism, the only book of these that I have read all the way through is Anthem. I’ve made some progress on The Virtue of Selfishness, and read a couple of hundred pages of Atlas Shrugged before getting bored and weary from finding the irrational world depicted in it hard to bear! Maybe I will read it some day, but only if I think there is a chance of me enjoying it. I don’t believe it is necessary for me to read the literature that started it all in order to understand the principles involved.
I am 19 years old and computer programming is my passion, and eventually it will be my trade. I am currently working on a project on my own time. This is made easier by the fact that I am disabled and out of work, and receive benefits.
Maybe that is something to contemplate, that; benefits are demanded and validated by the socialist doctrine, are they not? My take on it is this: I think an objectivist government (insofar as objectivism has something to say towards politics) would neither condemn or condone the provision of benefits towards disabled people, and regard it as a matter of free will on behalf of the government as a body of individuals.
I read elsewhere on this forum that Ayn Rand said: “If you wish to help them, you will not be stopped.” (forgive me if I mis-quoted). I think this speaks well for what objectivism has to say on the morality of benefits, i.e. nothing. I would regard a government that provides benefits to disabled people as a benevolent government - a compassionate government, but I think that a government should do it out of a personal interest as being human beings with a conscience, not because it is demanded of them by their philosophical precepts regardless of whether they wish to or can afford to.
This brings me to ponder another matter, that of the government being composed of human beings. Ayn Rand often discusses government as serving to protect people’s rights. From what I have read she has not commented on a government’s capacity or permissibility to perform functions and acts based on human feeling (although from what I have read, I could easily be wrong). This leaves the matter open to interpretion and guessing. I would guess that Ayn Rand would advocate, or at least not condemn, the government acting on it’s personal ethics, so long as it did not reject the fundamental objectivist ethics or abdicate reason in its conduct.
I would be interested to hear what you all think. These ideas have only come to my mind as I’ve been typing, and I have not given time to stew them.
Useless fact: I have asperger’s syndrome, or as I like to call it, “nerd-disease”. No offense intended to anyone else who has it.
I’m sure you all have heard the phrase “randroid” before. This slur against objectivism, Rand and its followers has potency because of its use of the word “droid”, which implies that said followers have the mentality of an automaton, and are devoid of emotion.
That this is blatantly false is without question to those who truly understand this philosophy (I will expand on that if anyone wishes me to, but I don’t think it is necessary). However, I have considered that the philosophy is more attractive from the outset to those who are of a more logical mind. Case in point, my asperger’s syndrome (people who have this generally think more logically and think in terms of logical merit) and my interest in computer’s.
I am sure it would be unfair to say that most objectivists are of that disposition, but I do wonder if the knee-jerk reaction of lazy thinkers towards objectivism is less likely to occur if someone is already more pre-disposed to a logical, rational thought process, and therefore more likely to embrace the philosophy. What do you think?
And yes, I do like the Sword of Truth series, although the last two books were below the standard of his earlier writings.
Anyway, I could go on, but I think I should save something for another thread. ![]()
I’ve attached a picture of myself.
