Hello everyone! I’m a math major in Illinois, was raised christian, and found out about Objectivism a few years ago. Since then, I’ve come to realize that it’s by far the most correct philosophy that I’ve ever seen-- it filled in and explained many “gut reactions” that I’ve always held implicitly but never named. I’m pretty familiar with and understand IOE pretty well, but I haven’t read any of Rand’s Ethics/Politics first hand. However, what I’ve seen from secondary sources I agree with completely.
I’ve been lurking here for a little while, and a post in the Metaphysics/Epistemology section really caught my eye, so I posted there. I’m really excited to be a member here-- it looks like a great place to come to deepen one’s understanding of philosophy.
As much as I like this forum, the best way to learn about Objectivism is reading Ayn Rand’s own writings. Which of her original writings have you read?
I’ve read most of the fiction (AS, FH, WTL, Anthem), and have gone through the second edition of IOE in detail-- I think I have a pretty good understanding of it. As such, I think I have Metaphysics and Epistemology down. I know the rough theory behind Ayn Rand’s Ethics and Politics (from the Galt speech and secondhand sources), but I’m far from understanding any of it. I know just about nothing of her Esthetics.
I agree with you that reading Rand’s original texts is the best thing to do-- in retrospect I didn’t understand Objectivist Metaphysics and Epistemology at all until I picked up and read IOE carefully. I’m studying abroad right now, and one of the first things that I’m going to do when I get back to the States is to buy VOS and CUI.
Any recommendations about what I can do in the meantime?
I’ve read most of the fiction (AS, FH, WTL, Anthem), and have gone through the second edition of IOE in detail-- I think I have a pretty good understanding of it. As such, I think I have Metaphysics and Epistemology down.
That’s awesome! You read the most difficult nonfiction book (in my opinion, anyway) before the more common ones…
Any recommendations about what I can do in the meantime?
I don’t think anything can compare to the primary sources, but I particularly like hearing people with Objectivism well-integrated, as their responses tend to be prompt, eloquent, passionate and right.
If you have money to spend www.aynrandbookstore.com has Online Courses (second link on the left). You can listen to those online without having to physically import the tapes. Understanding Objectivism, Objectivism Through Induction, and Philosophy of Objectivism are all long general lectures about learning Objectivism.
You might know about all this stuff, so I don’t know if you want me to continue or not … but there’s plenty out there!