Thank you for the reference, Mr. Speicher. I will follow-up on your recommendation.
You’re welcome. Randall wrote more than just this paper on that subject, but this paper is generally considered to be a seminal work of his. His various writings are of interest beyond just the Aristotelian connection. Randall at times has a surprising spirit. Here is the closing paragraph from a paper he wrote when he was only twenty years old (“Instrumentalism and Mythology,” The Journal of Philosophy, Psychology, and Scientific Methods, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp. 309-324, June 5, 1919).
“Man, grown philosophic, will know when to control conditions and when, in the face of the inevitable, to control himself; he will know that the world is a wondeful place to live in because it does offer him the opportunity to find Heaven, and through Heaven to make a new earth. He will not seek, with the monk, to withdraw from life in the fond hope of attaining an impossible Paradise; but neither will he give up the search. He will see the possibility of Paradise on earth, the perfect in the imperfect,; and he will set out to guide and direct mankind to better things. His program for action, his ideals, he will find in Heaven; and his Heaven he will find in working for his ideals.”
I cite Randall’s The School of Padua and the Emergence of Modern Science, 1961, and his The Career of Philosophy (Vol. I), 1962, but not the journal article. I vaguely remember that at least one of the books drew in part on the research Randall did for the much earlier journal article.
The referenced paper was reprinted in the first book that you mentioned. In The Career of Philosophy, in the chapter titled “Galileo and the Pattern of the New Science,” Randall says “Galileo’s science is the culmination of the critical tradition of Italian Aristotelianism.” That pretty much sums up the issue for me.
The Aristotle Adventure is not a history of science, philosophy of science, or philosophy. It is an accounting of how Aristotle’s books got from his time to the Renaissance, Galileo in particular. It covers 2000 years of history in 200 pages, and it is thus an introduction (“Guide”) to the individuals involved in the Greek, Latin, and Arabic streams. Its intended audience is very young intellectuals and general readers interested in intellectual history. Others may benefit.
I am just a kid at heart. I look forward to reading the book
Permit me to give you a friendly word of advice. I have nothing to do with setting policy on this forum, but my observation, after posting here for about seven months, is that the forum is mostly ARI-affiliated, and Libertarians, Kelleyites, etc. are allowed as long as they are respectful and do not bash Ayn Rand, Objectivism, ARI, or Objectivists in general. Best you should just focus on ideas and facts and leave the psychology of others alone.
I do, I wasn’t bashing anyone.
So don’t get jumpy. 
– Bridget
I am just a kid at heart. I look forward to reading the book
Speaking of books, I hope you are writing a book. I would very much like to read A Life in Physics, by Stephen Speicher.
I am suggesting this in public, rather than in a private email, because I believe my suggestion applies to everyone who has lived a successful life. That means, in part, immersion in a field of study and action as one’s central purpose in life.
I have watched you give sound advice to young Objectivists in this forum. You seamlessly combine personal advice, technical advice, and philosophical observations.
A full volume of such advice and other observations about the field would be entertaining to all passionate pursuers of professional values, not only to physicists.
I do, I wasn’t bashing anyone.
So don’t get jumpy. 
Please read what I wrote. I did not accuse you of bashing anyone. I was responding to two aspects of what you previously said. You had written:
“I should’ve kept my mouth shut around him after he asked me to do some stupid quiz that was loaded against anyone that read Kelley’s work and etc. o_O I think he had like a hatred complex or somethin.”
So first, since you mentioned Kelley out of the blue, I wanted to make you aware of the general context in which Kelley supporters, Libertarians, etc. seem to be tolerated here. There was no implication in this that you had bashed anyone.
But second, I emphasized that you should focus on ideas and facts and not on the psychology of others. This was a suggestion with an implied criticism, and rightfully so. You had said “I think he had like a hatred complex or somethin.” Here you are speculating on his psychology, that which you have no direct knowledge of. This is not appropriate. Instead you should focus on ideas and the facts which embody those ideas. I happen to share your disdain for the individual involved, but the way to make your point is by reference to the facts, not speculation on personal psychology.
Have I made myself clear to you now?
…
Speaking of books, I hope you are writing a book. I would very much like to read A Life in Physics, by Stephen Speicher.
I am suggesting this in public, rather than in a private email, because I believe my suggestion applies to everyone who has lived a successful life. That means, in part, immersion in a field of study and action as one’s central purpose in life.
I have watched you give sound advice to young Objectivists in this forum. You seamlessly combine personal advice, technical advice, and philosophical observations.
A full volume of such advice and other observations about the field would be entertaining to all passionate pursuers of professional values, not only to physicists.
Thank you for the very kind words, Burgess. Yes, I am writing a book and for this first one I have chosen the subject of Einstein and his theory of relativity. I believe I have an approach which will make this highly technical and historically rich subject of interest to laymen and experts alike. I have ideas for other books too, but first I’ll see how this one goes.
Thank you for the very kind words, Burgess. Yes, I am writing a book and for this first one I have chosen the subject of Einstein and his theory of relativity. I believe I have an approach which will make this highly technical and historically rich subject of interest to laymen and experts alike. I have ideas for other books too, but first I’ll see how this one goes.
Wonderful! I would be interested in buying a copy of your book. How is it coming?
I cite Randall’s The School of Padua and the Emergence of Modern Science, 1961, and his The Career of Philosophy (Vol. I), 1962, but not the journal article. I vaguely remember that at least one of the books drew in part on the research Randall did for the much earlier journal article.
The Aristotle Adventure is not a history of science, philosophy of science, or philosophy. It is an accounting of how Aristotle’s books got from his time to the Renaissance, Galileo in particular. It covers 2000 years of history in 200 pages, and it is thus an introduction (“Guide”) to the individuals involved in the Greek, Latin, and Arabic streams. Its intended audience is very young intellectuals and general readers interested in intellectual history. Others may benefit.
My main interest is the social side of intellectual history: What intellectuals did about their beliefs. One thing they did was act to preserve and disseminate the books they valued.
I am getting The Aristotle Adventure for Christmas this year (from my wife). I look forward to reading it!
Wonderful! I would be interested in buying a copy of your book.
That depends on how long you have to live. :dough:
How is it coming?
It is coming along well, thank you, but it is a long process. I want to get everything exactly right, and that requires a lot of research and thought. Thanks for your interest, and when it is done I will be sure to let everyone know.