[…] a person may be “objectivist,” in the sense that he has an objective epistemology – which, of course, translates into an Objectivist epistemology (an unceasing mental oscillation between concretes and abstractions in the formulation of actionable principles, whilst keeping context and hierarchy).
An Objectivist is someone who explicitly accepts and practices an objectivist (the Objectivist) epistemology.
Thank you for the valuable reference to OPAR, p. 150 – which I had forgotten. I have learned from part of what you have said.
For discussion, I would like to point out what I see as errors or pitfalls in some of your comments.
First, you are saying that an “objectivist” is one who has an objective epistemology, that is, an epistemology which (in my words) produces ideas that have a certain relationship to the facts of reality, a logical relationship. (Your summary – “an unceasing mental oscillation between concretes and abstractions in the formulation of actionable principles, whilst keeping context and hierarchy” – is very apt.) I can agree with this definition of “objectivist” in this epistemological context.
I do not agree that anyone who has an objective epistemology (an explicit theory of how we know things) necessarily would have an Objectivist epistemology. The latter is a particular formulation of some areas of epistemology by one objective person, Ayn Rand.
Another equally objective philosopher – if there were such today – might formulate an equally objective epistemology that might cover different ground. Though equally objective, the two philosophers would have two different general theories of how we know things (epistemology). Of course, the theories would inevitably overlap, but they need not cover all the same subjects and certainly not in equal depth in each area. (For example, Ayn Rand has little to say about theory of propositions or theory of theories, because her revolutionary accomplishment is her theory of concepts.)
Second, if an “objectivist” is someone who holds a theory of objective epistemology, that fact says nothing about that person’s metaphysics, ethics, politics, or esthetics. If his philosophy is inconsistent (for example, severing his epistemology from his ethics), he could have a wildly mystical ethics. I have met scientists like this: They advocate objectivity for the study of facts (sciences), and then fall back on revelation as a source of values (ethics)
So, an “objectivist” is not necessarily an Objectivist, that is, one who agrees with Ayn Rand’s whole philosophy: metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, and esthetics.
In other words, objective, objectivist and Objectivist are not fully synonyms, although in certain uses and in certain contexts they are certainly compatible.
Objective people existed long before Ayn Rand, and today one can be objective without knowing about Objectivism. What Ayn Rand – a philosophical genius – has done is formulate a whole philosophy centered around that core concept.
Also, one needs to keep in mind the distinction between “objective” (a concept of method) and “correct” (a concept of result). There can be many slip-ups in the process of reaching a conclusion. Two are errors in knowledge (for example, insufficient knowledge) and innocent errors in logic (especially in induction, the least developed area of logic).
This is my first attempt at trying to formulate this view. (Zeus, you are the first to take the bait I have repeatedly cast onto the waters, so to speak.)
I look forward to more discussion.
P. S. – Bridget, sorry for hijacking your thread! This is the way threads work sometimes. They bounce around, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t productive.