I am about to begin a second reading of Immanuel Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason. My first reading – if one can be said to “read” such things – was the most unpleasant reading experience of my life. Consequently I have been thinking about what I can do to get the most value from such reading, with the least expense in time and damage to my subconscious.
I know I am not the only person in this forum who, for one reason or another, reads such material, at least occasionally. Perhaps a discussion of problems and solutions in doing such readings will be mutually rewarding.
THE PROBLEM
What attitudes, general approaches, and specific techniques would you recommend, based on your own experience in reading awful philosophers – that is, philosophers (or others) whose styles are as bad as their themes? Examples from my experience are Kant, Kierkegaard, and Derrida. I have heard similar complaints about some Buddhist writers, Christian mystics, and neo-Kantian political theoreticians such as John Rawls.
Following are my answers to the problem of reading awful philosophers:
I. ATTITUDES
A. REVIEWING MY VALUE HIERARCHY. I remind myself that this reading is merely one step in achieving my highest value. As with certain dental work, such as root-canals, the experience may be unpleasant but it will advance me toward my goals. For example, for some individuals reading a certain text may be a requirement for a particular university course, the course may be necessary for a certain degree, and the degree may be a step in one’s career, that is, in achieving one’s central purpose in life, which in turn is a key to achieving one’s ultimate purpose in life, happiness. Reviewing all those steps makes the project easier to take.
B. PUZZLE-SOLVING. I try to see this text as a murder-mystery detective might approach a puzzle: What are the items of evidence, what are the red-herrings, and who is the murderer standing behind the curtain of obfuscation?
C. ADJUSTING EXPECTATIONS. I remind myself that an obscure writer is either a defective thinker or dishonest or both. I remind myself that this obscure writer nevertheless is sending messages to his intended readers. Otherwise how is it that his supporters seem to “understand” the obscurity in generally the same way? (How did Toohey’s followers “understand” what he really meant even though he often spoke in code?)
I therefore don’t expect to understand everything – only a few key points that the author says clearly, as beams of light through murk, or points that I have inferred from his key words or even from his style itself.
II. APPROACHES
A. SPIRAL. I sometimes follow a spiral of texts as a way of inoculating oneself a bit at a time. An example, for Kant, would be first reading the following items in the listed order:
-
“Kant” entry in the handy, single-volume Dictionary of Philosophy and Religion: Eastern and Western Thought, by W. L. Reese.
-
A 10-20 page “Kant” article in a multivolume encyclopedia of philosophy.
-
The two long chapters on Kant in W. W. Jones, A History of Western Philosophy, Vol. IV (Kant and the Nineteenth Century).
-
A full-length summary, commentary, or critique of Kant’s whole philosophy or perhaps that part of the philosophy which appears in my target book, the Critique of Pure Reason.
B. KNOW THE HISTORICAL AND PHILOSOPHICAL CIRCUMSTANCES. For example, knowing that Kant wrote at a time of Prussian censorship might explain some of his obfuscation (but I doubt it). Knowing the big problems that philosophers were addressing may explain some of what he says. An example is reading Plato after learning that his predecessors had debated changelessness versus ever-changing reality: His solution was to split reality, one for each state.
C. MAKE ASSIGNMENTS DOABLE. I try to divide the project into manageable pieces for daily study – so as not to overdose. The pieces should be small enough that I can do one every day, even when the writing is at its worst. And this pace should be sustainable. For Kant’s 700 page CPR, this might mean “reading” 20 pages per day for five weeks.
III. TECHNIQUES
A. Write one’s own dictionary of the philosopher’s key terms as he defines them (or doesn’t).
B. Heavily annotate the text itself, using the techniques discussed in Edwin Locke’s excellent Study Methods and Motivation, Part I, and Robert Mayhew’s Ayn Rand’s Marginalia.
C. Write a list of questions about the text before starting to read. Examples are: What does the author say his purpose is? Who is his intended audience? What is the subject of the book? What is the theme – that is, what the author says about his subject?
D. Write a list of questions about the text as the reading progresses.
E. Find a suitable, specialized dictionary. For example, Howard Caygill has written A Kant Dictionary. His explanations are about as clear as one could expect, given the subject, and he cites specific passages in Kant’s works.
IV. SUMMARY
How would you summarize your recommendations in an essentialized, crow-friendly form? My summarizing statement is this: Approach the book on multiple levels, stay mentally active, and don’t lose perspective, but keep moving on, trying to understand as much as one can while wading through a swamp at midnight.